Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-03-2016, 07:18 PM   #1

So how do you start your Onan Microquiet 4000?

I've done lots of searches online and there are no shortages to problems w/ the Onan, but nothing on how to start one that's in good shape.

I'm not sure I'm doing it right - so for me and everybody else who might be wondering; exactly how do you start the darn thing when its been sitting for a month, a week, a day, or a couple hours? When do you prime it? How long do you prime it? When do you just hit the start button?

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 07:48 PM   #2

When I did my PDI the guy showing me how to start it hit the start button and it cranked over for a while and did not start. He let off the switch and tried it again for what seemed reasonable to me. Said he would have a guy look at it. We went to lunch. After I came back he said the tech told him he was not holding the start switch long enough. We were in Minnessota. Since then I've never had it fail to start, I hit the start switch and crank it until it starts. Some time it takes what seems like a long time but it starts and runs fine. I fire it up once a month or every time we go camping to provid power at the site when I'm unplugged durning set up or leaving.
Previous RVs: 3 truck campers and 2 fifth wheels
Love the Seneca. Toad 2018 Ford F-150
Mnwelsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 07:50 PM   #3

On ours, you hold the stop button until it lights up meaning it is primed, Crank it for no more than 15 seconds. If it does not start, prime it again until the light comes on and crank it again. Even when it has been sitting for 5 or six weeks in winter, I don't think it's ever taken more than 3 tries. When I run it more , 3 or 4 times a week, it always starts on the first try. Hope this helps. On the Onan website you can download the manual if you need one.
LabMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 09:37 PM   #4

As Labman indicated..... The generator start button is a rocker switch. Hold the bottom of the rocker down until the upper part lights up (plus five seconds). Press the upper part of the rocker switch and the generator should start. After fifteen seconds if it does not start, repeat the process. That should do it .....
Toad - '16 Subaru Forester (Pearl White - manual transmission)
Blue Ox (everything) for the TOAD
Boudreaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 12:00 AM   #5

My manual says to hold the switch to stop for 30 seconds, then rock it to start. May still have to let it crank for a bit, but after a certain amount of time it will stop cranking so as not to burn out the starter. Wait a minute and try again. Mine almost always starts on the 1st attempt.
MadDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 04:07 PM   #6

I missed the "every month" start on my 2015 and now I can't get it started. It codes "Service required" when I try to start it after 3 tries and nothing!. I also added fuel stabilizer to get the "gum" from forming. Nada!

Any man can treat a lady right for one night, but it takes a great man to treat her right for the rest of her life.
GrayHawk51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 04:08 PM   #7

15 seconds to crank seems like a long time. Its okay to crank these things that long?

Old 03-04-2016, 04:09 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayHawk51 View Post
I missed the "every month" start on my 2015 and now I can't get it started. It codes "Service required" when I try to start it after 3 tries and nothing!. I also added fuel stabilizer to get the "gum" from forming. Nada!
That really stinks. I'm pretty militant about getting my monthly runs in. In the summer I'll sit i the rig w/ the A/C blowing. In the winter I'll sit it with 2 portable heaters blowing. Either way I run it. Gotta run it !!!

Old 03-04-2016, 04:18 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayHawk51 View Post
Did you add the red Stabil? If you did it won't help a whole lot if your gas has Ethanol in it. Stabil makes a blend for Ethanol gas.

I use StarTron. It takes care of all of it. Highly recommended from both my John Deere dealer and Snapper dealer. They deal with engines that sit for long periods of time all the time. If they say its good, its good enough for me.

I run Startron through my Subaru and Honda generators, my 2 cycle Stihl and Echo, and my motorhome. Never had a fuel problem yet (knock on wood).

If you elect to go the Startron route, they make different concentrations; make sure you get one that can handle a lot of gas for the big 55+ gallon tank in the rig.