Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-01-2022, 12:19 PM   #1

Question Sofa replacment with recpro 58" recliner question

For those that have replaced their jack knife sofa with recpro recliners and had no need for base modifacation can I ask what is the depth of your slide base? I am starting to wonder if some based are deeper than others. My base is aprox 33" deep.
KenRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 01:10 PM   #2

31FK here, I fashioned up a new base of 3/4" ply to fit the recliners in.
Old 07-01-2022, 02:59 PM   #3
CAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenRC View Post
For those that have replaced their jack knife sofa with recpro recliners and had no need for base modifacation can I ask what is the depth of your slide base? I am starting to wonder if some based are deeper than others. My base is aprox 33" deep.

If you do a search for that Recpro and for the Greyhawk you will find a rather lengthy thread on this topic.

Depending upon where you are measuring from for instance mine is 61.25"WX31.5"D

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 03:16 PM   #4

I recently learned Lippert supplies Jayco too. Here are their sofas:
https://store.lci1.com/rv/interior/furniture/sofas
PullRite #4452 OE Adapter & #2700 SuperGlide Hitch
Stan&Sharon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 04:12 PM   #5

Thanks all,
CAG I have searched and read for hours but have yet to find why some seem to fit with no base modifications and others don't using the same recpro seating. It looks like you have a gray hawk 29 mvp and you had to modify your base yet Gprapim has a 2017 Grey Hawk 29W and his fit with no modifications. I have a 2017 red hawk 26xd and have the same depth as you it appears at 32 ˝ to 33. Either way I can modify It if need be but it will fit right in without a bunch of work I may buy it now but if I need a base modifications I may wait until fall as I am in phx also.
Old 07-01-2022, 04:52 PM   #6
CAG

Quote:
Thanks all,
CAG I have searched and read for hours but have yet to find why some seem to fit with no base modifications and others don't using the same recpro seating. It looks like you have a gray hawk 29 mvp and you had to modify your base yet Gprapim has a 2017 Grey Hawk 29W and his fit with no modifications. I have a 2017 red hawk 26xd and have the same depth as you it appears at 32 ˝ to 33. Either way I can modify It if need be but it will fit right in without a bunch of work I may buy it now but if I need a base modifications I may wait until fall as I am in phx also.

From what I can tell from some of the same things you have noticed is that there is a difference between some of the Cs. I will see if I can find the thread that Ken and I discussed his mod to the base to fit the RecPro. He took some pretty in-depth measurements however his rig is the same as mine and again, as you are finding probably different than the Redhawk.

I started this with the idea of making the change but summer came on last year before I got to it and you know about working inside the RV in the summer. Not happening. I then got the "why do this" from my wife so it is tabled and may remain that way.

Old 07-01-2022, 04:59 PM   #7
CAG

This is from a PM. If you need more info you might look for member "CW5AVRet" and send him a PM. Ken and I email several times a week and I have no doubt he will help where he can. Great guy.

I have seen a couple of posts where people just "dropped in" the recliner but there were different years and models than mine. I have not found one that I could do that.

"Sounds like you have a great spring trip planned. Tell you what, I went back to my phone notes & found a couple measurements that should get you going:
-Sofa floorboard 61.25"W x 31.5"D x 1-3/8" thick
-Recliner frame 40"W x 21.25"D & extends 4.25" from front edge of floorboard. (This based on positioning the recliner one fingertip-width from the valance for clearance. Not very precise but it worked well.)
-Seatbelt strip 3"W

So adding 31.5 + 4.25 = 36" (w/.25" round-up). I bought a good 4' x 8' x 1/2" plywood at Lowe's & had it cut on their vertical chop saw to 62"L x 36"W to have a small margin even though I knew 62" would be too long to fit the space. I wanted it to take up the full width of the floor space so it just took a couple of passes with my jig
saw to trim it to perfect fit. The cuts weren't pretty so I covered all edges with beige shelf liner to hide the ugly.

Just my recommendation, I think this should be enough to get started. Those were the measurements I worked off of. Confirm yours are the same or close to these (should be). Did you see the pictures I posted? My wife had taken some pics of the sofa removal after all. I'm happy to go into more detail as you need. I'm glad I did it when I didn't need a/c to keep cool"

Old 07-01-2022, 08:04 PM   #8

Thank you, who are you chatting with there so i can see if i can find his photos?
Old 07-02-2022, 08:40 AM   #9
CAG

Quote:
Thank you, who are you chatting with there so i can see if i can find his photos?
I think I have the photos in a file. I’ll look later today.

Old 07-03-2022, 06:14 PM   #10

Thank you.
Old 07-03-2022, 06:35 PM   #11
CAG

I am still looking and so far have not found them but I did a complete computer change with both mine and my wife's systems. I thought I saved everything but you know how that goes.

Old 07-04-2022, 06:52 AM   #12

Hi there—I am not sure about Recpro- But when I installed Lambright recliners in my Class C, I toiled over the same thought “How to extend the slide platform”. After test fitting the recliners I discovered they would mount just fine with about 3-4 inches of the chair base hanging over the stock slide base. Looks and works fine. On year 4 with this no problems.
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 08:56 AM   #13

REcpro base

Quote:
Originally Posted by pconroy View Post
31FK here, I fashioned up a new base of 3/4" ply to fit the recliners in.
I did the same thing to install our Recpro recliners. 3 years ago. The problem I am having is the material covering the chairs is peeling off, I have piles of bits of material on the floor every day. They are cracking and splitting where ever they have to flex as you use them, such as the arms and the seats both bottom and backs. My wife made and installed covers over them but the flaking continues.
1SGPETE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 12:08 PM   #14

Ouch! Our recpro recliners are holding out ok but we're on year 2. It's the Jacyo stuff that's flaking badly on our unit.
Old 07-06-2022, 12:28 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by pconroy View Post
Ouch! Our recpro recliners are holding out ok but we're on year 2. It's the Jacyo stuff that's flaking badly on our unit.
I removed both the Jayco couch and the dinette booth. We have no Jayco stuff left. so it must be the Recpro.
Might just be we got a bad set?
Didn't mean to bring you any bad luck.

1SG Pete
1SGPETE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2022, 12:12 PM   #16

Rec Pro Install

I have a 2017 Alante 26 X. I ditched my jack knife sofa a couple of years ago. It was delaminating. I installed a 58” Rec Pro dual recliner. I did add a plywood base. Works well. I don’t think it took over 1.5 hours to install by myself. We love the result…should be standard by Jayco.
Captnjimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2022, 01:45 PM   #17

Quote:
I replaced the dinette booth with the Recpro power recliners and Removed the J sofa and put the table from the booth into the spot for the sofa. I made a new wooden top and use the table support mechanism to support the table. Also covered the entire area with 3/4" plywood and built out the area in front of the sofa to be even with the wider portion where the booth is. We now use wooden chairs (2 fixed andc2 folding) at the table. We have a 2007 Jayco Greyhawk 31SS. To make it a little cosier I put breadboard on the walls below the windows.

If you do this be sure to remove all of the bolts from the booth and sofa except for 4 along the wall to secure the seat belts. I also wired a plug behind the chairs tied to the inverter so that they will operate when not of shore power. Glad I did this project.

BTW I still have the booth and J sofa if anyone is interested.
Old 07-09-2022, 04:28 PM   #18

I added the same 58” rec pro to my 317RLOK and it fit just right. The depth is 36 1/2” ..
Lyonrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 10:30 AM   #19

I have been looking at the RepCo 58" for my 29MV. Repco talks about leaving 4" clear to the wall. Do these kick back to the wall when reclined? Thought they are wall huggers. Also, my 29MV has inside window shade trim which is about 4 1/2" deep. Anyone installed with this trim and how did it work?

thanks jere
Jere Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 10:43 AM   #20
CAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jere Mc View Post
I have been looking at the RepCo 58" for my 29MV. Repco talks about leaving 4" clear to the wall. Do these kick back to the wall when reclined? Thought they are wall huggers. Also, my 29MV has inside window shade trim which is about 4 1/2" deep. Anyone installed with this trim and how did it work?

thanks jere

If you go back up to the top of this thread there is info that will help and directions to another thread with more info.