Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-29-2017, 06:58 PM   #1

Soft Floor 31DS

The floor outside of the bathroom in the hallway in my 2016 31DS appears to be soft. It actually moves up and down. This area of the flooring is right above the left rear wheel opening. When checking outside in the wheel opening the floor appears solid. I don't know if it is water damage or a matter of improper support. Has anybody else had any problems with this area of the floor? I have contacted JAYCO, still waiting for a reply. Thanks
Blue Ox Baseplate w/Aventa LX Tow Bar & KarGard II Deflector
Blue Ox Patriot Brake
tom463219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 11:26 AM   #2

I have a number of soft, or spongy spots in the floor. Perhaps not to the extent you have - as the floor doesn't move enough to be seen.

They're just soft under-foot.
I'm thinking these are normal spots that lack sufficient support.

Can you let us know what Jayco says?
pconroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 04:26 PM   #3
TLC

Noticed it on my 2017. Feel it only with bare feet.
figured it was lack of support

Tim
Old 05-30-2017, 07:32 PM   #4

That's just a piece of sheet metal above the wheel well. It's the same way in my 31fs. I sprayed it outside to keep it from popping every time we walked over it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Hivoltage98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 06:12 AM   #5

JAYCO got back to me about the floor and here is what they said,

"I completely understand the question on the floor as I would also question it. There has been no issues brought up concerning the floor on your model, I would suspect your feeling a cutout in the floor for some component and they do there best to fill it in so its not noticeable but the areas can feel soft when putting pressure on. I would not think it is anything safety or water damage but just to be on safe side once your done with the trip you can have it inspected to be reassured."

Since it's above the wheel opening, it probably is due to lack of support. I will have it checked out at a later date.
Blue Ox Patriot Brake
Old 09-22-2018, 08:22 AM   #6

I was going to make a new thread but decided to add to this one. Does anyone with a 31DS have a soft spot in the floor just behind the driver seat and in front of the dinnette? Mine feels soft in about a 4 inch circular area just out from the wall. Mine is a 2018. Thanks.
nkyrvguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 09:21 AM   #7

Get you a moisture meter. Used to detect moisture content in different types of building materials and can help point out leaks. Might help you know if your floors are getting wet causing the soft spots.
Attached Thumbnails
2E3ECC9D-D646-43E8-8787-54AD382AA87F.jpeg  
cabinetmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 10:26 AM   #8

NKYRVGUY,
I am experiencing the same softness behind the drivers seat on my 31DS. It does seem to be spreading. I have looked all around the slide out but do not see anything obvious. Maybe coming from underneath. I will let you know what I find. Please do the same for me.
JKDheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 10:32 AM   #9

1. I found a hole in the exterior roof near the TV mount. 2. One of the screws isn't holding for the curtain (2nd one in from drivers side). 3. And I noticed a rusty water stain hidden behind the curtain going down towards the soft spot. I am worried the floor took in some water at the dealer lot. The hole is now sealed with dicor and the RV has been in the pole barn since I got it from the dealer a couple of weeks ago. I will call about it on Monday.
Old 09-24-2018, 03:04 PM   #10

I called today and scheduled a warranty appointment for October 25th.
Old 09-24-2018, 03:41 PM   #11

My 31DS is a 2014. Makes it my problem. Will have to make some time to check for the leak.Good luck with your appointment. Please let us know what they find.
JKDheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 06:00 PM   #12

I have a few soft spots as well (2019 Entegra Esteem 31L). I didn't notice it on the PDI since I was wearing shoes. It seems I can only feel them barefoot. I can't imagine it's from water, as the rig was on the dealer lot for only a few days and since I picked it up, it hasn't rained!

After crawling around underneath the rig this weekend, I did find a few very small rips in the black plastic sheathing that's covering the plywood underneath the rig, around the wheel well. I'm guessing maybe a rock was thrown up and nicked the plastic. Seems like there should be something there beyond the thin plastic, around the wheel wells at least!

I see that infomercial about flex seal, wondering if I can spray that stuff over the plastic above the wheels in the wheel well?
bababooey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 07:02 PM   #13

When we were younger and living up in PA winters, we used to take roofing tar to coat the wheel wells to protect them from the road salt. Worked really well and was inexpensive.
GABob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 07:41 PM   #14

When I had mine at the factory for repairs, they installed a brace in the left wheel well where the soft spot was. That added the extra support needed.
Blue Ox Patriot Brake
Old 11-06-2018, 12:35 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKDheart View Post
NKYRVGUY,
I am experiencing the same softness behind the drivers seat on my 31DS. It does seem to be spreading. I have looked all around the slide out but do not see anything obvious. Maybe coming from underneath. I will let you know what I find. Please do the same for me.
I have a 2014 31DS and have a large soft area behind the driver's seat as well. I believe the problem developed from gaps in the caulking where the bunk-over-cab compartment mates with the main roof. I caulked this seam as well as the black trim that runs down the driver-side wall. I'm hopeful I might be able to replace this part of the subflooring without removing the slide-out. Anyone completed this already on their rig?
Quantus is offline   Reply With Quote