Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-23-2022, 07:31 PM   #1

Solar Controller Location

I have a 2021 Greyhawk 27U that is prewired for solar with a rooftop connector for a go power system. I can't find the wall sticker template for mounting the controller. Can someone with this unit please let me know where to mount the controller and tap into the existing prewired solar harness
Thanks
Mflugel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 08:53 AM   #2

I have a '22 27U that I just got last weekend. It came with solar from the factory. I'll tell you that it's installed sideways and in a spot that I don't really care for. Thankfully it has bluetooth so I can get the readings from my phone even if it's a bit slow to connect.

On the right when you open the coach door where the main switch is located. It's installed sideways on the edge facing the driver seat.
Attached Thumbnails
Solar Controller Location.JPG  
Grimmy999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 11:54 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimmy999 View Post
On the right when you open the coach door where the main switch is located. It's installed sideways on the edge facing the driver seat.
I am thinking of putting a controller in our 2021 Greyhawk 27U and have been tearing my hair out for a good spot. That's actually not bad! Thanks!
907-Jayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 07:28 AM   #4

The issue is that it supposed to be prewired and there is supposed to a controller location sticker somewhere on the coach. The wires controller wires are behind the sticker. I can't find the sticker on my 2021 coach
Old 01-27-2022, 07:47 AM   #5

On my 2020 29MV, the prewired connection is in the first outside compartment behind the entry door. It will probably be someplace in reasonably close proximity to your coach batteries.
Old 01-27-2022, 07:32 PM   #6

Yes - My Melbourne 24LP had the wires in the first compartment behind the RV door. You can also request the wiring schematics of your rig from Jayco as I did. They were very helpful and responded within a day.
Old 01-28-2022, 11:56 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvspl View Post
On my 2020 29MV, the prewired connection is in the first outside compartment behind the entry door. It will probably be someplace in reasonably close proximity to your coach batteries.
I have a stub marked "solar" in the basement compartment behind the entry door as well, with two ports that I assume connect to the two solar panel ports on the roof. Not sure how or where that would connect to the controller, though.
907-Jayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 06:20 PM   #8
BLF

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluztoo View Post
Yes - My Melbourne 24LP had the wires in the first compartment behind the RV door. You can also request the wiring schematics of your rig from Jayco as I did. They were very helpful and responded within a day.
I'm a newbie and just picked up a 2018 Melbourne 24L last week. It has the solar pre-wiring, etc. mounted on the roof and there are two 12-V batteries in two different basement locations. One of those has a block that says solar with a black and red positive notation, but don't see where it would connect nor do I see a controller location in the cabin. I'm really interested in buying panels and connecting the solar, but need some help to understand what I have and what I need to do that.
BLF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 06:29 PM   #9

If it's pre-wired there is no controller installed. I'm not sure what you mean by a "block." Pictures might help. My "pre-wired" was in the first compartment on the passenger side of the RV. When I pulled the cover off there were three sets of marked wires - one for the roof solar, one to the controller and one for the battery. I'll see if I can find one of the original pictures before I installed my controller.
Old 01-28-2022, 06:33 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 907-Jayco View Post
I have a stub marked "solar" in the basement compartment behind the entry door as well, with two ports that I assume connect to the two solar panel ports on the roof. Not sure how or where that would connect to the controller, though.
I haven't installed solar yet, but if I do, I'll probably put the solar controller in the same exterior compartment that the prewiring comes out in. I won't be able to see it from inside, so will probably either put some kind of remote readout or use a bluetooth capable controller.
Old 01-28-2022, 06:38 PM   #11

Quote:
If it's pre-wired there is no controller installed. I'm not sure what you mean by a "block." Pictures might help. My "pre-wired" was in the first compartment on the passenger side of the RV. When I pulled the cover off there were three sets of marked wires - one for the roof solar, one to the controller and one for the battery. I'll see if I can find one of the original pictures before I installed my controller.
Thanks, I just found that block in my forward compartment. It didn't have any stickers on it at all. It looked like a block but was actually a black plastic block like cover that had red and white wires behind it. Which controller did you end up buying. I think I'm gonna get the 200 watt newpowa solar panel for $195 on Amazon. I just need to decide on a controller.
Old 01-28-2022, 07:27 PM   #12
BLF

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvspl View Post
I haven't installed solar yet, but if I do, I'll probably put the solar controller in the same exterior compartment that the prewiring comes out in. I won't be able to see it from inside, so will probably either put some kind of remote readout or use a bluetooth capable controller.
I noticed that there is also a 110 outlet in that compartment on my Melbourne. That compartment has block/box that says "Solar Pre-Wire" and notates black and red connections plus the 2nd 12v battery and the 110 outlet plate.
Old 01-28-2022, 07:36 PM   #13
BLF

Quote:
Photos attached
Attached Thumbnails
20220128_173049.jpg   20220128_172950.jpg   20220128_172830.jpg  
Old 01-29-2022, 06:43 AM   #14

Looked for my pics - likely posted them on the forum but can't find my attachments. I had that same cover and when pulled gave me the six wires I mentioned above. The battery there was added to double the watts by your previous owner. I put a solar controller in this area. There are many controllers to choose from out there. Get an MMPT, not a PVM type. Looks like they have one set going to the coach battery and one to the chassis battery. You'll have to double check where your wires run to. I put a partial image below of what they intended. https://diysolarshack.com/what-is-th...t-vs-pwm-test/. My Melbourne was a 2021. It's possible there are only two wires under that cap, which should just be for the panels. I'm told that controllers in this compartment can get hot. But for me it was the best place to put it.
Attached Thumbnails
solarshot.jpg  
Old 01-29-2022, 09:04 AM   #15

Thank you, this is very helpful
Old 01-29-2022, 10:41 AM   #16
BLF

Quote:
Looked for my pics - likely posted them on the forum but can't find my attachments. I had that same cover and when pulled gave me the six wires I mentioned above. The battery there was added to double the watts by your previous owner. I put a solar controller in this area. There are many controllers to choose from out there. Get an MMPT, not a PVM type. Looks like they have one set going to the coach battery and one to the chassis battery. You'll have to double check where your wires run to. I put a partial image below of what they intended. https://diysolarshack.com/what-is-th...t-vs-pwm-test/. My Melbourne was a 2021. It's possible there are only two wires under that cap, which should just be for the panels. I'm told that controllers in this compartment can get hot. But for me it was the best place to put it.
Thank you very much for the detail. I really appreciate the help
Old 02-02-2022, 03:39 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mflugel View Post
I have a 2021 Greyhawk 27U that is prewired for solar with a rooftop connector for a go power system. I can't find the wall sticker template for mounting the controller. Can someone with this unit please let me know where to mount the controller and tap into the existing prewired solar harness
Thanks
Ours was next to the refrigerator as they ran the wires up alongside the refrigerator to the roof when they made the connection. Who knows what they are doing now, ours was a Friday made unit, nothing is per the schematics. Jayco said our guys who made our unit went rogue. Main techs there were thoroughly confused. Call Jayco tech support and have them email you the schematic for your year. You have, about a 50% chance it’s right. Good luck.
Retired mountain folk is offline   Reply With Quote