Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-24-2020, 10:57 PM   #1

Solar Power

Hi fellow RV'rs ,
Thinking very seriously about solar power for my 05 26ss Greyhawk, but not sure where to get information...I know, some say trade in for new, I love my coach and I think i can figure it out with research, so who do I ask, I know the forum.
The way I look at it I should be able to add two or four solar panels to the roof, mount two special batteries somewhere wire it and bingo, KINDA.
My MH probably has an inverter because it already has a generator, is that right? I'm not too concerned about A/C just the furnace, microwave, TV etc. A/C would be a plus but not necessary.

If the inverter I have won't work then I will have to purchase that as well.
Am I close to what has to happen or way off base? where do I get the panels and can they help me with some instruction
Would appreciate any advice I can get and you all have a very merry Christmas and STAY WELL!
Mel
Bucket2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2020, 11:20 AM   #2

I think you need to read up a few posts and sites on how your power systems works. Lots of help on the search bar above and via youtubes on the subject. You have a battery(s) that provides 12 volt power when the RV is not plugged in or the generator is not running. You may not have an inverter. If a few of your outlets are either marked inverter or work when you are not plugged in or running the genny you have one. You need to find it if you do. It is probably very near the battery to shorten wiring. Take a look to see what it's capacity is and also find out what kind and size batteries you have.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2020, 11:34 AM   #3

Thank so much for the help. I know I need a lot of research, I do know I had to replace the battery and was a group 27 but you're right as I suspected about the inverter I'll bet I don't have one.
Mel
Old 12-25-2020, 11:39 AM   #4

All the outlets and appliances including furnace work while gen is running
Old 12-25-2020, 11:50 AM   #5

Here are a couple of websites that are a good place to start reading:
https://www.mobile-solarpower.com/si...-charging.html
https://www.explorist.life/30a-campe...iring-diagram/

Good luck with the project!
Old 12-25-2020, 11:56 AM   #6

Heres your plan-, READ,READ-READ, get on line and join a few solar rv web sites and look and read--theres many to choose from, one of the sites i like is Brian Boones got Solar, first question is how much money do you have to make this happen, got to have a starting point, I did the work in these photos, and what you see in the 8 battery there is about 9 grand a lone--
Attached Thumbnails
20190827_113627.jpg   20190827_113529.jpg  
Puddle Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2020, 05:11 PM   #7

Solar....

Try this site, not too far from you. https://amsolar.com/

Youtube. search Will Prowse.
Swill4wd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2020, 11:44 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucket2 View Post
Hi fellow RV'rs ,
Thinking very seriously about solar power for my 05 26ss Greyhawk, but not sure where to get information...I know, some say trade in for new, I love my coach and I think i can figure it out with research, so who do I ask, I know the forum.

1. The way I look at it I should be able to add two or four solar panels to the roof, mount two special batteries somewhere wire it and bingo, KINDA.

2. My MH probably has an inverter because it already has a generator, is that right? I'm not too concerned about A/C just the furnace, microwave, TV etc. A/C would be a plus but not necessary.

3. If the inverter I have won't work then I will have to purchase that as well.

4. Am I close to what has to happen or way off base? where do I get the panels and can they help me with some instruction

5. Would appreciate any advice I can get and you all have a very merry Christmas and STAY WELL!
Mel

Mel - don't fret, we were all just starting out at some point.

What helped me was ordering a 100 watt 12V Solar Panel off Amazon (< $100) and an inexpensive Solar Charge Controller (< $20).

I played with those in the shop, off the RV and learned how they work.

#1 - Mounting one, two, three of four panels is actually a bit of a chore too. You'll need to decide whether you're going to drill holes into your roof or not. I mounted my two without drilling.

You'll need to decide whether you want 100 watt 12V panels, or maybe something bigger. It'll all depend on how much energy you use / consume.

Remember the ONLY JOB of the solar panels are to recharge the batteries.

Two Special Batteries - you'll need to decide how special you want to go. If budget is no limit and you don't winter camp, then you'd pick Lithiums. But they're about $1000 a battery.

#2 - No. Having a generator does NOT automatically mean you have an inverter.

#3 - Yes, if you don't have one you'll have to buy one and then wire it in. Which could be some work. Let's hope you already have one. Are there any 120V outlets that work when the Generator is OFF AND you're unplugged from Shore Power??

#4 - I bought my panels off Amazon. Like I said, I decided to go with simple 100 watt 12V panels. I bought my first and second Solar Charge Controller off Amazon too.

#5 - Read and watch those Youtube videos! There are literally dozens and dozens of them. I like "RV With Tito's" videos.
Old 12-26-2020, 08:33 AM   #9

Quote:
Thank so much for the help. I know I need a lot of research, I do know I had to replace the battery and was a group 27 but you're right as I suspected about the inverter I'll bet I don't have one.
Mel
Check my upgrade post... lots on info on Solar, installs, schematics, parts, etc.

Link: https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...34g-81805.html

Hope it helps,

Mark
Old 12-26-2020, 02:00 PM   #10

Quote:
All the outlets and appliances including furnace work while gen is running
The biggest question is what outlets are hot when not plugged in or on genny.
My guess is only the plug behind the tv
You probably have a Xantrex 400 watt inverter, that is what I have in my '05
tom35758 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 05:56 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom35758 View Post
The biggest question is what outlets are hot when not plugged in or on genny.
My guess is only the plug behind the tv
You probably have a Xantrex 400 watt inverter, that is what I have in my '05
See attached. It's from Jayco for my coach, but I suspect it's pretty much the same for all coach's with an inverter.

Look at the RED on the schematic... RED = Inverter 120v receptacles that are hot when no shore or generator power.

Jayco will send you the power schematic for your rig.

Mark
Attached Files
File Type: pdf AC1.pdf (470.9 KB, 54 views)
Old 12-29-2020, 04:16 PM   #12

I have done some research on the solar subject but mostly at this point I am not understanding the issue of the invertor, I know what it does but having a problem understanding power to the coach and also charging the battery.
Doesn't there have to be an inverter to change the 120v to 12v to charge the battery?
My outlets are all strictly 110 off of gen or shore power, i can't find a wiring diagram and my manual is for a different coach than what I have.
If you have any help with these questions I would appreciate it, either way I will quit bothering you....Thanks Mel
Old 12-29-2020, 05:21 PM   #13

You almost certainly have two separate systems. One converts 120volt AC to 12 volts. This keeps the battery charged. A second device converts the 12 volts back to AC. If the generator is running or the RV is plugged in the systems turn AC into 12 volts that goes to the battery. Then the one or two outlets have AC to run the TV or some smaller item.

The AC to 12 volts is usually built into the RV somewhere and has at least a fan showing to keep it cool. Frequently near the fuse/breaker box. The 12 volt to AC unit is often located somewhere near the battery to shorten the length of the wires.

Here is a short youtube:
Several more will show under that to expand on it. this one is in much more depth
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 05:27 PM   #14

Well, Thanks for all the responses but, after reading all of them I am probably going to throw in the towel on this one. I was hoping to be able to get this done to run the electrical appliances (except A/C) for under $2,000.00 and install myself....fat chance!
problem one is that I am 81 years old but a very active mechanical 81, travel lot's, live in rural eastern Oregon and love boondocking but this may not be practical. May better and more batteries. I really appreciate your time...Mel
Old 12-29-2020, 10:06 PM   #15

Quote:
Well, Thanks for all the responses but, after reading all of them I am probably going to throw in the towel on this one. I was hoping to be able to get this done to run the electrical appliances (except A/C) for under $2,000.00 and install myself....fat chance!
problem one is that I am 81 years old but a very active mechanical 81, travel lot's, live in rural eastern Oregon and love boondocking but this may not be practical. May better and more batteries. I really appreciate your time...Mel

Mel - hold on. Don't throw in the towel. You're only 81??? Lord, you've got 35 more years left!

Good on you for tossing out running the AC - that's a practical impossibility on solar.

Let's toss out some back-of-the envelope calculations.

Let's just make up some numbers - say you need 800 watts of Solar. [ I'm just making stuff up. ]

Four 200 watt 12V Solar Panels would be $700-$800.
800 watts at 12V is 70 amps.

Let's pick an 100 AMP MPPT Solar Charge Controller - $450.

A 3000 watt pure sine wave inverter looks like $300.

That leaves the rest of your budget for wire and batteries.

All of this depends on how much wattage you need. Which depends on how much you use and how much sun there is to replentish.

How we doing?
Think this is still something we can tackle?
Old 12-29-2020, 10:40 PM   #16

You are too kind but it certainly gets my attention!
My demands are not too great, maybe coffee pot when I can't run generator to wake up neighbor, microwave, furnace possibly some and I mean some TV and keep batteries charged but all these can be done another way. And last, hiw complicated to do the wiring.
I'll mull this over carefully, thanks so much for your help.
Mel
Old 12-29-2020, 11:20 PM   #17

Quote:
You are too kind but it certainly gets my attention!
My demands are not too great, maybe coffee pot when I can't run generator to wake up neighbor, microwave, furnace possibly some and I mean some TV and keep batteries charged but all these can be done another way. And last, hiw complicated to do the wiring.
I'll mull this over carefully, thanks so much for your help.
Mel
On a similar note related to your comment, I purchased one of these coffee makers and while it is a bit pricey, I am very happy with it. This one doesn't use any electricity, just a low flame on the stove top and operates very similarly to a regular 120v coffee maker.
Attached Thumbnails
CaptureB.JPG  
Old 12-30-2020, 02:37 PM   #18

Quote:
Hi fellow RV'rs ,
The way I look at it I should be able to add two or four solar panels to the roof, mount two special batteries somewhere wire it and bingo, KINDA.
My MH probably has an inverter because it already has a generator, is that right? I'm not too concerned about A/C just the furnace, microwave, TV etc. A/C would be a plus but not necessary.

If the inverter I have won't work then I will have to purchase that as well.
Am I close to what has to happen or way off base? where do I get the panels and can they help me with some instruction
Would appreciate any advice I can get and you all have a very merry Christmas and STAY WELL!
Mel
I’ve been researching myself for the past 6 weeks. One thing I can tell you if your Pre wired on your roof like my 2019 Redhawk 25R, the factory wiring can only handle 450 watts of panels. I called jayco and asked.

As far as inverters, your best bet is to get an inverter with a charger/converter and transfer switch built in. This way you can wire the unit right in to the shore power and circuit panel.

My inexperienced 2 cents
Johnynorthland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 02:55 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnynorthland View Post
I’ve been researching myself for the past 6 weeks. One thing I can tell you if your Pre wired on your roof like my 2019 Redhawk 25R, the factory wiring can only handle 450 watts of panels. I called jayco and asked.

As far as inverters, your best bet is to get an inverter with a charger/converter and transfer switch built in. This way you can wire the unit right in to the shore power and circuit panel.

My inexperienced 2 cents
As a thought, did they mention 450 watts at a specific voltage (or the wire awg size)? If not then you can't determine everything you need to know. In other words, if a wire can handle 450 watts at 12v, then that same wire could also handle 1800 watts at 48v (same earlier numbers x4, as an example, you could do x10 and that would also be the accurate number of "watts"). There are many mppt solar panel charge controllers that are capable of supporting 80~160 input volts depending on the battery bank voltage and the controller and the primary difference is how you wire the panels on your roof, in parallel or series (daisy chained). I have all I need (except time) to setup my system and plan to run ~80v into the charge controller. ~CA
Old 12-30-2020, 05:29 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigav View Post
As a thought, did they mention 450 watts at a specific voltage (or the wire awg size)? If not then you can't determine everything you need to know. In other words, if a wire can handle 450 watts at 12v, then that same wire could also handle 1800 watts at 48v (same earlier numbers x4, as an example, you could do x10 and that would also be the accurate number of "watts"). There are many mppt solar panel charge controllers that are capable of supporting 80~160 input volts depending on the battery bank voltage and the controller and the primary difference is how you wire the panels on your roof, in parallel or series (daisy chained). I have all I need (except time) to setup my system and plan to run ~80v into the charge controller. ~CA
450w@12volts. If you did 1800W@ 48V do you convert the 48V back to 12V ?
Johnynorthland is offline   Reply With Quote