Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-07-2023, 09:56 AM   #1

Solar reading.

So yesterday I had MH parked outside of my pole barn in full sunlight. Not a cloud in the sky. This was the reading from the BMPRO display. I assume the reading is low since I had the MH on shore power for the last week so battery should have been fully charged. I unplugged
just before I moved it outside.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2893.jpg   IMG_2892.jpg  
2016 Pinnacle FBTS Traded
Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2023, 10:19 AM   #2

That looks like one 100 watt panel?
Is your concern the small amount of power flowing into the battery? If so...

I've got 200 watts and have noticed "lower than I expected" watts flowing into my batteries too. I typically get 50-70 watts from my two 100 watt panels. A few days ago, I climbed up with my multimeter to check things and everything was connected properly.

So a couple of thoughts -- maybe:
- yeah, I suspect our controllers are smart enough to know a fully charged battery doesn't need a ton of amps flowing in. So the excess power is dissipated as heat.
- 14.3V would still be considered "boosting" by my controller and an indication that it thinks the battery is >not< fully charged. But you really have to let a battery sit, unplugged, for some time to let it settle on it's state of charge voltage
- 23.2V would be considered really good. I usually see 19.2V when things are great, and 15-18V when things are cloudy
- but it's winter and the sun angle is low. look at the shadows.
- a panel that says 100 watts will only produce that much is optimal, laboratory conditions etc.

Since I'm a professional nerd, what I've done is connect my solar data to a computer that sends the data home for storage and analysis. I'm just going to collect it over the months and see if I can notice a trend,
Old 12-07-2023, 10:22 AM   #3

Do you have a lithium battery but a charger that is not set on lithium? Looks like the solar is trying to top up the battery. Can you find the state of charge? On my Renogy battery I can get the exact state of charge off the battery itself plus temp, charge/discharge rate, remaining amps. Is your lead battery somewhat used and not take a full charge any more? 3 amps isn't much and the voltage off the roof is good at 22 and 14.3 looks normal if the system thinks the battery is not fully charged. 3 amps total is not much amps compared to a few lights, etc. being used.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2023, 10:30 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerR View Post
Do you have a lithium battery but a charger that is not set on lithium?
That's a good point!

As for the 3AH, I assumed that was because he said he had it parked in the barn?
Old 12-07-2023, 10:52 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by pconroy View Post
That's a good point!

As for the 3AH, I assumed that was because he said he had it parked in the barn?
2024 Greyhawk two lead acid house batteries. Factory installed Go Power 30 amp controller and one 200 watt panel. I just received a renogy 200 watt additional panel to install to make it 400 watts.
Something just does not seem right. That pic was taken in the afternoon but MH sat all day in the full sun. The house shadow is decieving since it is a high stilt home. It shows 3 amp hours for the day. Nothing on inside MH but the normal stuff using power with the disconnect not turned off. I am not going to plug it in for a week in my pole barn. Than bring it out on full sun day and see what it says then.
Old 12-07-2023, 10:52 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock View Post
So yesterday I had MH parked outside of my pole barn in full sunlight. Not a cloud in the sky. This was the reading from the BMPRO display. I assume the reading is low since I had the MH on shore power for the last week so battery should have been fully charged. I unplugged
just before I moved it outside.
Im guessing your batteries are fully charged. You probably have a basic factory PWM controller so dont expect great performance from 1 200 watt panel with low sun angle
billcf7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2023, 01:56 PM   #7

Quote:
2024 Greyhawk two lead acid house batteries. Factory installed Go Power 30 amp controller and one 200 watt panel. I just received a renogy 200 watt additional panel to install to make it 400 watts.
Something just does not seem right. That pic was taken in the afternoon but MH sat all day in the full sun. The house shadow is decieving since it is a high stilt home. It shows 3 amp hours for the day. Nothing on inside MH but the normal stuff using power with the disconnect not turned off. I am not going to plug it in for a week in my pole barn. Than bring it out on full sun day and see what it says then.
I agree that it seems a bit odd. Knowing it's a 200 watt panel - your Voc is around 22V. So that kind'a matches.

One thing you might try is something similar to what I did. Take the new 200 watt panel, leave it off the RV but hook it up to the controller and a SLA battery. Look at the sticker on the back of the panel and record the specs.

Put the panel in full sun, angled 90* etc. Examine the readings.

I like the suggestion of maybe that's a PWM controller. If so, you'd probably want to consider upgrading to an MPPT. Dunno if that would break the tablet interface.

My controller dumps all of the gory details of what's happening inside out of a port so I can monitor everything. IMHO - the tablet isn't displaying as much data as I'd prefer.
Old 12-07-2023, 01:58 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by billcf7 View Post
Im guessing your batteries are fully charged. You probably have a basic factory PWM controller so dont expect great performance from 1 200 watt panel with low sun angle
I just poked around the Go Power website for a minute. All I saw was PWM controllers.
Old 12-07-2023, 02:20 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by billcf7 View Post

X2, low sun angle with flat mounted panels reduces output by nearly half in the winter for us in Michigan, and a fully charged battery won't accept much current.
TS3 Hitch
Ms says I'm full of useless knowledge and other stuff...
ARoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2023, 05:58 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARoamer View Post
X2, low sun angle with flat mounted panels reduces output by nearly half in the winter for us in Michigan, and a fully charged battery won't accept much current.
You would think for the price of Go Power stuff it would be top of the line. The second panel I just got was less than half of a Go Power panel. Next year when I upgrade to lithium house batteries I will also do the controller.
Old 12-07-2023, 07:11 PM   #11

Quote:
You would think for the price of Go Power stuff it would be top of the line. The second panel I just got was less than half of a Go Power panel. Next year when I upgrade to lithium house batteries I will also do the controller.

My Renogy MPPT has bluetooth with all the data I could ever use and more included in the price. Nice to know how much solar is putting out and how much I am using. Peace of mind that the furnace will run all night in cold weather.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2023, 10:56 PM   #12

Quote:
You would think for the price of Go Power stuff it would be top of the line.
Well, I bought my first 20A PWM controller for $25.

PT Barnum effect maybe.
Old 12-09-2023, 09:31 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by pconroy View Post
I just poked around the Go Power website for a minute. All I saw was PWM controllers.
It is a Dometic MPPT 30 amp controller. Go Power 200 watt solar panel, all factory installed. Getting ready to add Renolgy 200 watt panel. Will wire it in parallel.