Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-09-2021, 11:19 AM   #1

Solar Ready?

New to me, my 2018 Melbourne is "Solar Ready". Just how ready does that mean it is? There are 2 wires under a plastic cover in one of the side cargo bays, and a plug on the roof. Is there a solar controller somewhere in the coach (under the bed)? Do I even need one to throw my 100 watt panel on the roof?

Love all the helpful folks on this forum!

2018 Jayco Melbourne 24L, only 8,000 miles
NevadaJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 12:00 PM   #2
RPR

The wires you saw is it
RPR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 01:14 PM   #3

Wires to connect roof solar and a connection to them in that bay

Nothing else is included
Stavman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 02:56 PM   #4

It doesn't even look like the wires connect to the battery. They start at the roof plug and end in the bay. I should stick another battery in that bay and connect it to the next bay over, with the solar on the roof leading to the new battery, put the controller in that bay as well.
NevadaJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 03:00 PM   #5

I don't think they do

Just wired from roof to the bay
Old 04-10-2021, 09:09 AM   #6

Following. If you find a good solar set up, post here. I have the same coach.
Revy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 09:36 AM   #7

I'm usually in AZ, we hide from the sun here. So a roof mount solar just won't work 75% of the time

I use panels,build basic frames to set on the ground. Made my own mc4 extensions so I can move them to the sun as needed.

Wired an adapter to the Coach battery so I can charge it, and an adapter off the Controller to charge my power stations.

My controller isn't mounted on my RV so I can move things around as needed

Works really well for me
Old 04-10-2021, 09:20 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaJon View Post
It doesn't even look like the wires connect to the battery. They start at the roof plug and end in the bay. I should stick another battery in that bay and connect it to the next bay over, with the solar on the roof leading to the new battery, put the controller in that bay as well.

I don't know this for sure, but I *think* I recall someone saying they weren't very thick and probably won't handle large amperage. But if you're just tossing a 100 watt panel or two up there, likely not an issue.
Old 09-11-2021, 05:57 AM   #9

I have a 2016/17 24L. Though not solar ready would like to see about eventually going to solar. Running generator on LP doesnt last long.
Jaycomelbourneng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 07:03 AM   #10

When a manufacturer says it is Solar Ready , that is like a a used car salesman saying all his cars were only drove by little old lady’s on Sunday.
Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 07:38 AM   #11

That is correct, you have to run the wires from panels to the plug on the roof and from the box to you controller and house battery.
Here is some pictures from my project.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0665.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	72.0 KB
ID:	75481

Name:	IMG_0704.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	93.5 KB
ID:	75482

Name:	IMG_2183.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	113.5 KB
ID:	75483

Name:	IMG_0639.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	88.2 KB
ID:	75484

Name:	IMG_2128.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	89.2 KB
ID:	75485
Jayco 24B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 08:37 AM   #12

Running wires from the roof to the battery can be the most challenging step in the installation process. So be happy. Your challenge now is how to attach the panels to your roof so they don’t leak.
Old 09-12-2021, 05:19 AM   #13

My 2021 Melbourne had “solar ready” and six wires fed to that little storage bay just behind the door. One set went to the roof and appear to be connected. The other two sets go to the batteries, under the hood and the coach. They are not connected. I just put in a solar controller in that same bay, and added the Victron shunt to monitor solar and the batteries. Jayco was great and sent me schematics within a couple of days. They’re proprietary so we’re not supposed to share them here, I guess. I too plan on using a couple of portable panels. Sticking with the AGM batteries for now. Know when I upgrade to lithium I’ll have to either modify the charger or buy a new one. The inverter is 1,000 amps, so I may get a larger one, or a combined charger/inverter. Some of the Jayco’s will come with panels next year, maybe some already do. But I know they’re using the Go Power panel and setup kit, which uses a Renogy solar controller. There’s a couple varieties of controllers. One is called MMPT and is more expensive, but is supposed to “claim” more solar. The portable kit I bought from Renogy included a PWM controller. The test I did comparing the MMPT vs. the PWM actually showed it getting the same amps as the three times more expensive MMPT, but I’m guessing in the real world the MMPT is supposed to pay for itself by delivering more electricity. This is a fun learning experience so I hope every one keeps posting about what they’re doing with solar and batteries. There’s a little more downward pressure finally on the cost of lithium. Many claim that with the longevity of the batteries they are now cost neutral, but I’m not sure. There is no question that they are better for overall power needs. It’s all based on what you actually use so I’ll wait to see what my real energy needs are. I believe that four or less Battleborn batteries can be put in as parallel. Someone said you cannot do that, but you should check on that.
bluztoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 07:23 PM   #14

Will add to this soon. Taking delivery of 2018 Redhawk 29XK that has a complete solar setup on it already. Just joined forum and first RV. Very excited about what's to come...
MNinAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 05:29 AM   #15

additional solar info

Social Group RVing with SOLAR

Group Maintained by Mustang65
Here is a place where you can ask your SOLAR RVing related questions, share your SOLAR RVing experiences, projects, suggestions, pictures and tell everyone about your "FUTURE" SOLAR plans.

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/g...ith+solar.html
TS3 Hitch
Ms says I'm full of useless knowledge and other stuff...
ARoamer is offline   Reply With Quote