Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-23-2019, 10:32 PM   #1

Soundstream GPS

I have a VRN-65HXB Soundstream gps in my Melbourne Prestige and the mapping seems to needs to be updated even though it’s a 2019 model . Does anyone know how you wound update the mapping.
royphillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 01:57 PM   #2

I have had an issue with the soundstream in my Melbourne Prestige . You have no way on turning the volume down in the back of the coach without turn down the volume in the front. I got it fix by getting a local stereo shop to wire it correctly but Jayco will not cover the cost because they say it is wire correctly. The amount you pay for this top of the line motorhome I think it should have a fade option. Has anyone one else notice this with there Melbourne Prestige with a Soundstream . If so maybe call Jayco so they know it’s just not my motorhome.. It can be fixed because I got mine fixed but on my own dime.
Old 04-30-2019, 03:23 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by royphillips View Post
I have a VRN-65HXB Soundstream gps in my Melbourne Prestige and the mapping seems to needs to be updated even though it’s a 2019 model . Does anyone know how you wound update the mapping.
Here is a link to the company that does the map updates, looks like its $75 to do an update, the latest release is 2018 Q3, you may want to check what you have before spending money. https://www.naviextras.com/shop/port...?selectedTab=3
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 07:00 PM   #4

Thanks
Old 04-30-2019, 07:42 PM   #5
Lost in the Woods

Soundstream had a update late last year for the GPS due to a glitch where when you tapped a letter once, you would get multiple same letters. They would send out a micro SD card with the update to fix this. You might want to check if your radio was updated.
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 08:33 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancer330 View Post
Here is a link to the company that does the map updates, looks like its $75 to do an update, the latest release is 2018 Q3, you may want to check what you have before spending money. https://www.naviextras.com/shop/port...?selectedTab=3
There is a $75 charge to update the maps on a brand new system? Is this a one time charge or every time you need to update your maps?

I am glad I have the Garmin system from 2018. In the last year I have installed a half dozen system updates along with half a dozen map updates, all have been at no cost to me.

While I understand a vendor cannot support a system for the lifetime of the device. It seems odd that a device less than a year old requires a charge to update the maps.

Balibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 11:43 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredOne View Post
Soundstream had a update late last year for the GPS due to a glitch where when you tapped a letter once, you would get multiple same letters. They would send out a micro SD card with the update to fix this. You might want to check if your radio was updated.
You don’t need to contact them. You can do it yourself. Here is a video I created on how to do it.

https://youtu.be/iEPMrrRFtQY
eeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 12:04 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by royphillips View Post
I have had an issue with the soundstream in my Melbourne Prestige . You have no way on turning the volume down in the back of the coach without turn down the volume in the front. I got it fix by getting a local stereo shop to wire it correctly but Jayco will not cover the cost because they say it is wire correctly. The amount you pay for this top of the line motorhome I think it should have a fade option. Has anyone one else notice this with there Melbourne Prestige with a Soundstream . If so maybe call Jayco so they know it’s just not my motorhome.. It can be fixed because I got mine fixed but on my own dime.
Jayco always wires them the same for all 2019 class c’s. You have 6 speakers. 2 in the door, 2 in the overhead, and 2 outside. There is a switch for inside/outside. When it is on inside, the front door and overhead are on. When you hit outside, the overhead and out are on. Overhead are always on. Fade doesn’t affect it. While I don’t agree with their set up, that is what they consider correct.
Old 05-01-2019, 07:26 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by eeek View Post
Jayco always wires them the same for all 2019 class c’s. You have 6 speakers. 2 in the door, 2 in the overhead, and 2 outside. There is a switch for inside/outside. When it is on inside, the front door and overhead are on. When you hit outside, the overhead and out are on. Overhead are always on. Fade doesn’t affect it. While I don’t agree with their set up, that is what they consider correct.

I was just playing with my 2019 31FSP with Soundstream. My fade works as you would hope. Front is just cab speakers and read is overheads only. When I flip switch from in side to outside my overheads turn off and outside works. I am very happy with how that is running.
Fishstick8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 08:20 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishstick8 View Post
I was just playing with my 2019 31FSP with Soundstream. My fade works as you would hope. Front is just cab speakers and read is overheads only. When I flip switch from in side to outside my overheads turn off and outside works. I am very happy with how that is running.
Whelp, there you go. That's the first I've heard of it that way.
Old 05-02-2019, 08:37 PM   #11
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishstick8 View Post
Was checking out and playing with mine today. Mine works a little different. Only 4 speakers are on at any time. When on inside, the two cabs are on and the two ceiling in the coach. When I flip to outside, the cab shuts off and the outside come on. The ceiling speakers are on in both cases.

When I dig into the settings and get to the fader/balance controls, I can move sound forward and rear or left and right when on inside. When I flip to outside, I can send sound just to outside or just ceiling with the fade control.
Old 05-05-2019, 07:50 PM   #12

Average at best

My wife and I just got our new Seneca home after a 1000 mile trip from the dealership. After having quite a bit of time to play with the Soundstream VRN-65HXB, I'd rate it no better than 'capable'. The radio reception was good but range seemed to be less than a factory system in a personal vehicle. Connecting an iPhone via Bluetooth was clunky, but it worked fine for streaming music from a Playlist. We didn't have any luck being able to send or receive calls via the BT connection.

From a navigation standpoint, it seemed to do fine. We put in two destinations and it got us to both without issue. I do wish Jayco would've put a unit in the coach that was designed for RV'ers or truckers so it would pick the best routes for larger vehicles, trucker and RV related POI, fill and dump stations, etc.

My big complaint with the unit overall is that the microprocessor is horribly slow. I love the fact that my coach has 3 cameras to assist with lane changes and the rear view. However, when you signal for a lane change, you've completed the change long before the infotainment system is able to switch over to the camera input to show what's on your left or right. While I understand the cameras are no replacement for your mirrors, if the feature is going to be included, it should at least be useful.

While driving home, we hit heavy rains. During one of the downpours, the infotainment screen turned blue and a 'No Signal' message appeared as if it were trying to read the camera input but there was no signal. Later in the trip we hit a rough section of roadway (still interstate) and the display kept switching between the camera and navigation views. After it finally came back to itself, the brightness of the screen bounced from bright to dim for the remainder of the trip.

I understand a couple of these issues are probably nothing more than a loose connection and I'll dive into it and figure that out. While we absolutely love the coach, we are surprised and disappointed that Jayco chose a $200 (literally) infotainment system for a vehicle that had a sticker north of $250k.

Hope this helps.
TimK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 08:47 PM   #13
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
While we absolutely love the coach, we are surprised and disappointed that Jayco chose a $200 (literally) infotainment system for a vehicle that had a sticker north of $250k.
I'm going to agree with you there, it really isn't very user friendly and seems really basic, considering the overall price of these coaches. I find the sound quality pretty crappy, and researching better speakers for the ceiling. Plus, trying to reach over and hit the small buttons to adjust volume or change the station while bouncing down the road is a challenge. How I miss the radio controls in the steering wheel like in my current truck.

I bought a second remote control to see if holding that in my hand might make it easier to adjust the radio versus reaching all the way over and going off the road.

I only have a rear camera, not the ones on the side, and I find I'm already backing up 5 feet or so before the camera even comes on, there's definitely a delay.
Old 05-11-2019, 01:51 PM   #14

Hate this radio/ GPS/ POS

I have the same Soundstream radio gps rear camera monitor combo. I bought a real garmin RV gps and use my phone for music. I only use the Soundstream for the rear camera monitor, and even that is a pain as it won’t come on automatically. I’m always having to power it up and close the radio and gps part of it.
happycampersigns.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 05:52 PM   #15

My sound stream on my 2019 Redhawk also double clicks ever input. I talked to sound stream and they also told me about the update. My question is, is that GPS on that sound stream geared towards an RV or a truck? There’s no way ,(that I’ve found), of inputting height, weight, length or propane so I don’t bother using it, you can only select a truck application, it just shows a picture of A generic box truck with no specs. We use Waze in addition to our Garmin RV GPS, an Atlas and our 2016 next exit book! You think I’m gonna let my wife just sit next to me and do nothing LOL!
Johnynorthland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 05:07 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnynorthland View Post
My sound stream on my 2019 Redhawk also double clicks ever input. I talked to sound stream and they also told me about the update. My question is, is that GPS on that sound stream geared towards an RV or a truck? There’s no way ,(that I’ve found), of inputting height, weight, length or propane so I don’t bother using it, you can only select a truck application, it just shows a picture of A generic box truck with no specs. We use Waze in addition to our Garmin RV GPS, an Atlas and our 2016 next exit book! You think I’m gonna let my wife just sit next to me and do nothing LOL!
No way to input your vehicle specifics.
TimK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 05:08 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredOne View Post
I'm going to agree with you there, it really isn't very user friendly and seems really basic, considering the overall price of these coaches. I find the sound quality pretty crappy, and researching better speakers for the ceiling. Plus, trying to reach over and hit the small buttons to adjust volume or change the station while bouncing down the road is a challenge. How I miss the radio controls in the steering wheel like in my current truck.

I bought a second remote control to see if holding that in my hand might make it easier to adjust the radio versus reaching all the way over and going off the road.

I only have a rear camera, not the ones on the side, and I find I'm already backing up 5 feet or so before the camera even comes on, there's definitely a delay.
One thing to keep in mind- it's definitely not the camera. I swapped out the head unit for a Kenwood and with it, the camera comes in much clearer and instantly. That's the Soundstream causing the delay.
Old 05-12-2019, 06:13 PM   #18

Okay since we are discussing this rather poor Soundstream, I have to ask what about your installation? In my Seneca the unit is installed at the perfect angle so during daylight hours (when we prefer to drive) I cannot see the map or the camera view. Oh and ours is like everyone else. By the time the turn camera view comes up on the screen I have completed the turn.

Ender on the road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 02:09 PM   #19

My soundstream is garbage. We contacted the dealer to have it looked at. They think it will need to be replaced. The GPS only works incrementally. One trip it took 2 hours before the GPS would work. It said no signal on a blue screen. The clock also wasn't correct. Then we manually entered it and it worked for a while then was an hour off. she volume control is crappy. But the Bluetooth works to play music so we use that. I bought a Garmin RV GPS and love it. Can't use the soundstream and wouldn't trust it, if it were working, at this point.

The rear camera is the best thing that works on it.

The side cameras are clear when you first leave then as the trip goes on it begins to blur. After a couple hours, you can't see out of the side cameras.
Diesel_tke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 11:47 AM   #20

Can someone tell me the screen size of the soundstream on my 2019 ..29 mvp..looking to replace this piece of garbage !!
Jacyko rookie is offline   Reply With Quote