Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-19-2019, 08:32 AM   #1

Soundstream Haunted???

Has anyone experienced this???

The Soundstream in our Redhawk has a mind of it's own. It is coming on uncommanded. Has happened several times when the motorhome is unoccupied. Ran the battery down the first time. I have kept a battery maintainer on it since then. Finally figured it out when we would find the radio blasting after we knew it had been properly secured after last use.

Last straw was last night while the motorhome was in our back yard. The radio came on sometime in the night and went to max volume with the outside speakers on. We were in the closed house with a/c on and did not hear it until we got up this morning. Surprised we didn't get a wake up visit from the police.

Looking for help, suggestions, ideas for a solution other than replacing this thing with a different radio... Thanks
MikeUSNRet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 08:49 AM   #2

I don't know if this will help you, but we had a similar problem in our previous trailer... I eventually traced it to a low battery in the remote.
(When the supply voltage gets marginal, consumer electronics can do strange things)

As a simple test, if you have a remote, take the battery out completely, and see if the problem continues.

Jay Feather 19XUD, pushing a Jeep Grand Cherokee
WeRJuliian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 10:57 AM   #3

X2 to the radio remote. Ours had a mind of it's own. We put the remotes in a drawer, and we have never had an issues since.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 11:12 AM   #4

Thanks for the tips on the remote. I removed the batteries. One tested good, the other slightly low. Will leave them out and see what happens.
Old 05-20-2019, 02:31 PM   #5

Ours would turn on randomly and then connect to the Bluetooth on my wife's phone and start playing music. Even when she had the Bluetooth turned off on the phone. How it did that, no clue!

I had to go onto it and turn it off Bluetooth and back to radio in order to get it to stop. The thing is weird. Also I had to turn the main power off to get it to stop turning on.
Old 05-20-2019, 02:47 PM   #6

I leave mine on bluetooth whenever it's parked just to avoid that very problem. I also noticed that whenever I use the 12VDC disconnect, the radio will come on. It could be a 12VDC spike or interruption that is causing the problem.
Old 05-21-2019, 07:40 PM   #7

Thought I had it figured out. No so. I muted the sound, turned the power off, removed the remote batteries. Now, two days later, radio is on, uncommanded. It selected a new station and set the volume to level 43.

We are getting ready to leave on a trip so I guess we will live with it for now. Maybe I can figure it when we return. May have to drive a stake through its heart.