Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-26-2018, 08:33 PM   #21

Looking at the one they had last year, it seems to be about a $1200 unit and the Soundstream is under $200 on Amazon...

Jayco said they had to switch because of how generous their warranty is so they have to be mindful of warranty claims. I'm guessing dropping down to the Soundstream isn't going to go well for them.

Mine does the exact same thing with the GPS lag and I agree, unusable.

Is anyone else having trouble connecting their iPhone? The only thing I found online states that it isn't iPhone compatible. How can this be?!

Also it is supposed to have Sirius XM and ours says "check tuner". We got a card for a free 3 month trial and called Sirius and they said someone installed the tuner wrong, but the product info on Amazon shows that you have to buy a separate XM tuner for $40 -- if Jayco installed this unit and skimped on the $40 tuner to make it Sirius capable after already dropping down to such an inferior unit, I'm going to be even more disappointed in choosing a 2019.

Adding it to the list of other problems so we can hopefully just take it in for 1 big repair list since our nearest repair place is about a 3h roundtrip.
a1i50n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 09:44 PM   #22

a1i50n …. as far as I know, Jayco does not include the SiriusXM module for the radio. My 2018 26x with the Garmin Fusion does not include it, but is compatible. Most aftermarket systems are SiriusXM compatible and do not include the tuner.

I am an SiriusXM subscriber and have the internet streaming option on my account. I just connect my iPhone to the radio via Bluetooth and stream SiriusXM while traveling & camping ……
Balibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 09:44 PM   #23

We've been unable to connect iphone. Not pleased with it.
MikeUSNRet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 10:31 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeUSNRet View Post
We've been unable to connect iphone. Not pleased with it.
The Garmin Fusion Jayco offered last year had the same issue when it was released. It was the initial release to the RV market for these two companies. Garmin and Fusion have worked together for years on products for the boating industry. My boss has it in his boat for GPS and entertainment and loves it.

The Garmin Fusion had issues with phone connections at first. They have released a bunch of updates to resolve issues along with map updates at no charge since the initial release last year. They still have more work to do. Hopefully Soundstream will provide the same support ……

There are a lot of posts here on the Garmin Fusion like this thread on the Soundstream, a lot of complaints. I wish Jayco would of stuck with them as Garmin is big in the GPS and Fusion is big in the boating industry. Think over time they will make a great RV system ……
Old 09-26-2018, 10:45 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by a1i50n View Post
Looking at the one they had last year, it seems to be about a $1200 unit and the Soundstream is under $200 on Amazon...

Jayco said they had to switch because of how generous their warranty is so they have to be mindful of warranty claims. I'm guessing dropping down to the Soundstream isn't going to go well for them.

Mine does the exact same thing with the GPS lag and I agree, unusable.

Is anyone else having trouble connecting their iPhone? The only thing I found online states that it isn't iPhone compatible. How can this be?!

Also it is supposed to have Sirius XM and ours says "check tuner". We got a card for a free 3 month trial and called Sirius and they said someone installed the tuner wrong, but the product info on Amazon shows that you have to buy a separate XM tuner for $40 -- if Jayco installed this unit and skimped on the $40 tuner to make it Sirius capable after already dropping down to such an inferior unit, I'm going to be even more disappointed in choosing a 2019.

Adding it to the list of other problems so we can hopefully just take it in for 1 big repair list since our nearest repair place is about a 3h roundtrip.
I just bought the XM kit from Amazon and installed it. If you do buy it just take out the dog house. You can see behind the stereo. The XM plugs in on the right side of the stereo in the rear (right side when you are facing it from the front). The connector goes in upside down so you have to use some kung-fu ninja moves to get it to plug in, but it will go in after yelling at your RV a bit. For now I placed the antenna on the dash, but I will route it up to the top bunk later.
fsteele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 11:10 PM   #26

There is an iPhone app “Fusion Link” which you can pair by Bluetooth. You should try.
qnghiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 11:18 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by qnghiem View Post
There is an iPhone app “Fusion Link” which you can pair by Bluetooth. You should try.
The Fusion Link app only works with the Garmin Fusion, not the Soundstream ……
Old 09-27-2018, 06:07 AM   #28

So everything I was reading prior was that most people hated the Garmin. Now I'm reading this Soundstream won't even connect to my iPhone? Really?

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 08:16 AM   #29

I’ve been able to connect my iPhone to it using Bluetooth. I cannot connect to it using the usb cable. Get iPhone not supported message.
Old 09-27-2018, 11:43 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowdog00 View Post
I’ve been able to connect my iPhone to it using Bluetooth. I cannot connect to it using the usb cable. Get iPhone not supported message.
mine gets to a point it asks for a PIN, but I can't find one anywhere, nor can I find a manual for the unit. also same thing with the USB. were you able to find a PIN? thanks for your feedback!
Old 09-27-2018, 11:49 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsteele View Post
I just bought the XM kit from Amazon and installed it. If you do buy it just take out the dog house. You can see behind the stereo. The XM plugs in on the right side of the stereo in the rear (right side when you are facing it from the front). The connector goes in upside down so you have to use some kung-fu ninja moves to get it to plug in, but it will go in after yelling at your RV a bit. For now I placed the antenna on the dash, but I will route it up to the top bunk later.
thank you for the tips (and everyone else commenting, very helpful)!! I think we might buy the Sony that was mentioned earlier, though I would love to get my hands on one of the Garmin Fusions....surprisingly for as much as people apparently hate them, no one is selling them on ebay, etc. anyway, we'll likely replace the cab speakers and the receiver at the same time, but I'm still holding out hope I can somehow get my hands on a Garmin before I am tired enough of the Soundstream to pull the trigger on the Sony.

I am still just blown away that if a consumer can buy the tuner for $40, it surely is half that for Jayco to buy and for the headache to take it all apart just to add it later...why skimp over $20 when they're already saving so much over cancelling the Garmin version?? and why do we have a 3 months free offer if it isn't ready to go? argh!

thanks again everyone!
Old 09-27-2018, 11:59 AM   #32

What is the big gripe here w/ the Soundstream? If I don't plug my iPhone in and I don't plan to use the Navi on it - is it functional enough?

Old 09-27-2018, 06:38 PM   #33

Quote:
mine gets to a point it asks for a PIN, but I can't find one anywhere, nor can I find a manual for the unit. also same thing with the USB. were you able to find a PIN? thanks for your feedback!

The pin on mine was 0000 for Bluetooth.

I could connect my iPhone for Bluetooth calling but not being able to stream Spotify using usb or Bluetooth is nuts. If anyone finds a fix, let me know!
Fishstick8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 11:21 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishstick8 View Post
The pin on mine was 0000 for Bluetooth.

I could connect my iPhone for Bluetooth calling but not being able to stream Spotify using usb or Bluetooth is nuts. If anyone finds a fix, let me know!
We got the Android connected, no PIN required. I don't remember if we tried all zeros, but going to try that when we get it back (in the shop for CO leak). Def. doesn't work via USB. Will keep you posted if I find anything that works.

And re: is it good enough to 1) not stream XM; 2) not connect to an iPhone to stream music; 3) not use the navigation; 4) lag so much with the sideview and rearview cameras that you've already moved lanes by the time they come on -- leaving only Android streaming (maybe?), AM/FM radio and CD/DVD -- I can only answer that I can't tune in stations that I can get at my house and on any car until I get ~20 miles closer to the source (San Diego) and had very few FM options en route from Indiana to California via Washington (so much static we just turned it off) so IMO it is also terrible for FM radio and I haven't tried AM radio, CD (don't own any) or DVD (also don't own any), but if it plays Blue ray I can test that out when we get it back from the shop and let you know, along with trying out Android streaming.
Old 09-27-2018, 11:35 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jopopsy View Post
What is the big gripe here w/ the Soundstream? If I don't plug my iPhone in and I don't plan to use the Navi on it - is it functional enough?
Yes or the Bluetooth for the phone and perhaps other features that are supposed to work lol

It does a solid job on Am Fm.
fsteele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 06:02 AM   #36

All I'm really looking for is radio and proper camera operation. I route my phone calls through my Nuvi 770, which also is of course my GPS.

Old 09-29-2018, 06:38 AM   #37

Quote:
I think someone has already mentioned the pin is “0000”. My manual was in black zippered bag with others. I found it online by googling model number.

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/11...-Vrn-65hb.html
Old 09-29-2018, 09:41 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowdog00 View Post
I think someone has already mentioned the pin is “0000”. My manual was in black zippered bag with others. I found it online by googling model number.

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/11...-Vrn-65hb.html
Thank you for the link! I looked through every booklet I had and didn't see a manual (there was a baggie with the remote and removal keys) and ours is a model VRN 65HXB but it looks close enough that this manual should be helpful! Just picked it up from a fruitless service visit at Camping World, so will play around with it tomorrow and see if we can make friends.
Old 10-02-2018, 11:54 AM   #39

Here’s a video review of the unit. I consider myself extremely knowledgeable on technology and watching this has caused me to give it a chance when I get my Jayco. He’s using an android, so it may just be a case where android works better over iOS in this case. Of course, if it doesn’t perform like this, I will yank it out and install something from crutchfield. https://youtu.be/AdaNOhIGpmc
eeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 11:04 PM   #40

Where is your GPS receiver located? On my 2019 redhawk, mine is in the center of the dashboard and is blocked by the cab over. Called soundstream and they indicated it needs to be moved.
My problem is, I'm hesitant to have the dealer fix the issue. I don't wasn't to have a rattling dashboard.
Jicama is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
soundstream