Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-05-2019, 08:12 AM   #61

My biggest complaint, by far, is the angle of the display... You can barely see it from the driver seat which seems a bit odd if you're trying to use it as an actual navigable GPS system...

My 2019 Seneca is the same. In bright daylight while driving I cannot see the screen at all. Plus the little teeny tiny touch spots to change things on that Soundstream screen are, for me, impossible to use while driving.

So my solution is to go to a shop in town and they will swap out the Soundstream single unit for a pioneer radio/cd player and add a RVS (https://www.rearviewsafety.com) 7 or 9 inch backup camera screen to the same place my rear view mirror would be. (My Seneca does not have a rear view mirror). The screen I want will have up to 4 camera inputs. My Seneca has both side view cameras and rear view. I will be able to turn all the camera views on at once and leave them on while we are driving.

The stereo will put me back about 150 bucks, the screen about 250, and I am adding new speakers (I am not fond of the cheap tinny sounding ones from the factory) to the front and one overhead on both the driver and passenger seats (for listening to books while driving through norther Canada to Alaska). So another 200 dollars for speakers. I am going to see if these guys can pull out the center yellow light on the coach front and put a siriusxm antenna in its place (no hole drilling ). Total cost I figure about a thousand. But we are planning to spend the summers on the road so it is worth it.

Ender on the road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 09:40 AM   #62

That's what I should do to..this for sharing
Great looking unit
Jacyko rookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 05:53 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacyko rookie View Post
have learned on here already about needing an adapter to get Sirius radio..

To get SiriusXM over the air, you need to i) buy the SiriusXM tuner unit and connect it to the Soundstream, ii) run an antenna/cable up to the roof of the cab, typically on the interior. If you aren't too tech savvy, this should be done by a radio installer with experience installing RV cabs.

Quote:
wondering if a not very hi tech guy can use my android phone to get Sirius thru the radio...any advice appreciated !!

I use Apple Music on my Android phone to stream music to the RV's Soundstream radio, not SiriusXM's app. But the SiriusXM app should work the same way.

If you're in range of cell phone towers, you can pair your phone with the Soundstream radio, and select BlueTooth as the active audio device on the Soundstream control panel, and stream SiriusXM via the app. This will use up cellular data minutes, and if you get out of range of the cell towers, the streaming will stop.

Parked in the campground, if they have WiFi, you could stream over the campground WiFi to your phone, then BlueTooth to the Soundstream radio. This avoids eating cellular data minutes.

I find with my Android phone the BlueTooth won't auto-connect after some time, maybe a few weeks since the last camping trip. Phone and Soundstream are listed as "paired". So I have to go into the phone's BlueTooth menu and touch the "Soundstream" device to get the phone to reconnect to the Soundstream radio.
ljh684 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 08:01 PM   #64
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljh684 View Post

I use Apple Music on my Android phone to stream music to the RV's Soundstream radio, not SiriusXM's app. But the SiriusXM app should work the same way.

If you're in range of cell phone towers, you can pair your phone with the Soundstream radio, and select BlueTooth as the active audio device on the Soundstream control panel, and stream SiriusXM via the app. This will use up cellular data minutes, and if you get out of range of the cell towers, the streaming will stop.

Parked in the campground, if they have WiFi, you could stream over the campground WiFi to your phone, then BlueTooth to the Soundstream radio. This avoids eating cellular data minutes.

I find with my Android phone the BlueTooth won't auto-connect after some time, maybe a few weeks since the last camping trip. Phone and Soundstream are listed as "paired". So I have to go into the phone's BlueTooth menu and touch the "Soundstream" device to get the phone to reconnect to the Soundstream radio.
Based on all those variables and connection issues is why it was worth it to spend $40 and some time and install the Sirius adapter to the radio and run the antenna out to the hood.

I don't have to do any of that monkeying around, try to connect to different cell sources or WiFi, or use up data minutes. I have a direct, wired connection.

I just turn on the radio, pick the station I want on Sirius, and Rock out....
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 08:37 AM   #65

Thks...food for thought. .is your antenna under the hood ?
Old 06-07-2019, 08:44 AM   #66
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacyko rookie View Post
Thks...food for thought. .is your antenna under the hood ?
I originally tried it on the dashboard, but when driving North, the cabover blocked the signal sometimes.

So, I snaked the wire and antenna out the driver's door, through the front fender, and along the hood to the front of the hood. I stick the magnet mount on the front edge of the hood, which is out front of the cabover. I took the coach out last week, and had zero reception issues.

Plus, the way I ran the antenna, when I'm not out traveling, I take the antenna and stick it under the hood so it's not exposed when not needed.
Old 06-07-2019, 09:27 AM   #67

Great idea...this for the info
Old 06-14-2019, 03:05 PM   #68

My sdcard on my Infotainment system corrupted back in 9/2018. Soundstream, Jayco, and Naviextras will not help me get a new sdcard and I have to drive the rig to the dealer to fix a $3 part. Sadly the dealer wont have the SDCard so either it will sit for weeks or they will replace the whole unit. Maybe its a great time to buy a new headunit cause this one is horrible anyways =) I'll never own a Soundstream product their customer service is horrible.
fsteele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 05:20 PM   #69

Feel the same..garbage !!!
Old 06-14-2019, 05:39 PM   #70

Cost cutting on the 50th anniversary model year is dissapointing. I am ok with cutting cost as long as functionality is not compromised. The 2019 C- class lost the digital door lock, Fusion GPS infotainment and motorized TV wall mount. It got a 50th anniversary tag on the outside wall and a price increase.
Snapchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 06:34 PM   #71

So true !!!!
Old 06-14-2019, 08:28 PM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsteele View Post
My sdcard on my Infotainment system corrupted back in 9/2018. Soundstream, Jayco, and Naviextras will not help me get a new sdcard and I have to drive the rig to the dealer to fix a $3 part. Sadly the dealer wont have the SDCard so either it will sit for weeks or they will replace the whole unit. Maybe its a great time to buy a new headunit cause this one is horrible anyways =) I'll never own a Soundstream product their customer service is horrible.
Right now is a good time if you are interested in kenwoods. The new year models came out and the prices have dropped on last year’s models.
eeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 09:35 AM   #73

Any particular place to look for a kenwood system ?
Old 06-15-2019, 01:08 PM   #74

I bought mine from a third party amazon seller. Which generally voids the one year warranty, because, well, Kenwood is tough with that. However, I bought a 3 year warranty from amazon pretty cheap to cover it. I bought one set of speakers from Crutchfield, a set from tri state sounds, and the powered sub from Walmart.
eeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 10:33 AM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapchen View Post
I replaced our 2018 Greyhawk with the 2019 model. The Fusion/Garmin was quirky before the firmware updates. The Soundstream is worthless. Poor reception, dismal sound quality, gps still not working, camera lag unsafe, radio comes on with camera. Extremely disappointed. Combination door entry lock and motor driven tv wall mount also gone to save cost! I am going to the owners of my dealership and Jayco Customer Service to voice my complaints.
You've just described my experience. Dealership put in another one. SAME PROBLEMS!!!
New TN Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 02:20 PM   #76

Yup same thing..what a way to cheap out !!!
Old 06-18-2019, 08:18 PM   #77

Putting it bluntly, Jayco should be ashamed of themselves for using such a piece of crap in their RVs! Backup camera is intermittent at best, can no longer hook up to Bluetooth as the touch screen sux... let's not even discuss any attempt to use the nav system.

So, who's replaced theirs so far and with what model?

Thanks,

Bob
Old 06-19-2019, 04:30 AM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljh684 View Post
To get SiriusXM over the air, you need to i) buy the SiriusXM tuner unit and connect it to the Soundstream, ii) run an antenna/cable up to the roof of the cab, typically on the interior. If you aren't too tech savvy, this should be done by a radio installer with experience installing RV cabs.

I have a portable Sirius radio that I move from my truck to the motorhome as necessary. I just had to purchase a second car connect kit. I also have a Garmin RV770LMT GPSr. The only thing I use that crappy Soundstream unit for is the backup camera... and that's nothing to write home about.
GAD36H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 09:11 AM   #79

Thks for that info..it will help me to decide my next move !!
Old 06-19-2019, 09:24 AM   #80
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAD36H View Post
I have a portable Sirius radio that I move from my truck to the motorhome as necessary. I just had to purchase a second car connect kit. I also have a Garmin RV770LMT GPSr. The only thing I use that crappy Soundstream unit for is the backup camera... and that's nothing to write home about.
I did something similar. I have a portable Sirius unit in my truck, and was going to get another car dock. But, I just bought the Sirius adaptor for the crappy Soundstream and ran the antenna out to the hood. This is the only thing I use the Soundstream for, besides the occassional rear camera. I also have a separate Garmin.

Going the route that some others did with streaming through Bluetooth, and worrying about getting cell service or WiFi is a real PIA....

Tags
soundstream