Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-29-2018, 08:51 AM   #1

Soundstream infotainment system

Hello, everyone!! Okay, I found out the replacement infotainment system for 2019. The 2019 units are getting the Soundstream. My new inquiry now is, model number. There are lots of positive reviews on Soundstream and I would just like to narrow it down to the exact model for overall features, bells and whistles. Thank you all in advance!!
Stargazerandu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 06:35 PM   #2

VRN 65HXB in our 2019 Redhawk. On our first trip, I found it difficult to use due to being so far out of driver line of sight and excessive screen glare. It comes with a remote so maybe that will help with controls, but I think I will revert to my old tried and true Garmin NUVI for nav. I also admit to being old and wish for the return of things with knobs and real buttons.
MikeUSNRet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 10:55 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stargazerandu View Post
Hello, everyone!! Okay, I found out the replacement infotainment system for 2019. The 2019 units are getting the Soundstream. My new inquiry now is, model number. There are lots of positive reviews on Soundstream and I would just like to narrow it down to the exact model for overall features, bells and whistles. Thank you all in advance!!
Tell me what you think about the Soundstream after you get your unit.
Jaytalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 07:01 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaytalk View Post
Tell me what you think about the Soundstream after you get your unit.
Bringing this one back to the top. Agree with the screen being somewhat difficult to see but so far I've only driven it from the dealer to our house. How do you turn it off ? Makes me wish for a good old fashioned button.
GCSuper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 09:05 AM   #5

There's a power button on the remote. Hold it down for three or four seconds to turn it off. The manual that comes with it is not very good.

The problem I'm having is that when the radio is on, the GPS comes on uncommanded. Lots of times, I don't want the GPS on. I may be doing something wrong but for now I am pretty much leaving the thing turned off.

Another thing that seems odd, when the backup camera comes on, it turns the radio on. Pretty sure the techies that design these things never have to use them in real life.

Congratulations on your new RV. Enjoy.
MikeUSNRet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 11:10 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeUSNRet View Post
There's a power button on the remote. Hold it down for three or four seconds to turn it off. The manual that comes with it is not very good.

The problem I'm having is that when the radio is on, the GPS comes on uncommanded. Lots of times, I don't want the GPS on. I may be doing something wrong but for now I am pretty much leaving the thing turned off.

Another thing that seems odd, when the backup camera comes on, it turns the radio on. Pretty sure the techies that design these things never have to use them in real life.

Congratulations on your new RV. Enjoy.
Thx. I finally figured it out. Was not holding the off button long enough. I did not get a remote or a manual.
GCSuper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 11:44 AM   #7

Just bought a 2019 29MV and it comes with this unit. I personally don't like it. It's clumsy to use, my keys stick so if you type in "frog" it will type "fffrroooogg". I'll take it in to get it fixed but may replace with something else. I want something with a knob cause the controls are too far and too small when you want to adjust volume while driving.

Also the mic for the phone is horrible and people can't hear me.
fsteele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 11:48 PM   #8

Is there a way to keep the backup camera on the screen at all times, even while driving?
Jaytalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 08:09 AM   #9

Yeah, but it switches to the side cameras when you turn the signals on. I have a lifted Jeep so I can see it outside the rear window
Old 09-24-2018, 04:54 PM   #10

this caught us by surprise when we were told that nothing was changing except interior color options between 2018 and 2019 when we bought our 29MV. of course we only toyed with the garmin on the lot, but we drove 3400 miles with the soundstream and it is horrible. the lag is atrocious, navigation is clunky and time consuming to make an entry, it doesn't have RV specific features, it says it's not iphone compatible when i try to bluetooth my phone to it, the screen is angled in a way that it is very difficult to see from the driver's seat and it has bad glare, the screen doesn't detach to make for easier entry of search terms, the hands free phone is not worth trying unless you're parked with nothing running, and over all it's not very intuitive. was about to go drop $450 to have a garmin unit installed, but read some reviews here that weren't very favorable, so now I don't know what to do. it's 2018 - this should be pretty easy technology at this point!
a1i50n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 05:52 PM   #11

I guess one of the subtle differences I've found between the Greyhawk and Entegra Esteem is the radio. I have a sony head unit, I believe its Sony XAV-AX100 or similar model.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_158XAV...8aAtOHEALw_wcB

It has no GPS, but it does support Android Auto and Apple Carplay. I use android auto all the time and Waze and pandora going at the same time. No issues, I can see the screen OK. No issues making / receiving hands free calls.
bababooey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 06:18 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bababooey View Post
I guess one of the subtle differences I've found between the Greyhawk and Entegra Esteem is the radio. I have a sony head unit, I believe its Sony XAV-AX100 or similar model.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_158XAV...8aAtOHEALw_wcB

It has no GPS, but it does support Android Auto and Apple Carplay. I use android auto all the time and Waze and pandora going at the same time. No issues, I can see the screen OK. No issues making / receiving hands free calls.
Does the Sony work with the side and rear cameras as well and the TV inside?

The salesperson mentioned to me if I watch a DVD from the head unit the sound will play in the cab versus using the DVD player and having just TV speakers.
Old 09-24-2018, 07:03 PM   #13

thank you for the recommendation to check out the sony - it looks nice in that video and we use google maps pretty exclusively on our phones so having android and apple car would be awesome.

i can't comment on the DVD sound since we haven't played one in it, but the sound from the stereo can be set to come through all the speakers in the coach, so it makes sense that would hold true with video as well, but then you won't see it on the TV screen, just the dash?

we bought that skinny little bose sound bar that costco has and hooked it to the tv above the cab and will just stream audio from our phones through that via bluetooth - already a million-fold improvement over those lovely ford factory speakers and what i presume are ~$20 speakers in the coach too
a1i50n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 07:19 PM   #14

Been searching for replacement head units and found this one that looks interesting. I like the truck navigation.

Heres a link
http://www.kenwood.com/usa/car/navig...dia/dnx775rvs/
Old 09-25-2018, 08:30 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsteele View Post
Been searching for replacement head units and found this one that looks interesting. I like the truck navigation.

Heres a link
DNX775RVS RV/Truck AV Navigation System with Bluetooth & HD Radio | Navigation and Multimedia | Car Entertainment | KENWOOD USA

Good choice!! I have done some research for other units and this one is a contender...
Stargazerandu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 08:53 AM   #16

Quote:
Does the Sony work with the side and rear cameras as well and the TV inside?

The salesperson mentioned to me if I watch a DVD from the head unit the sound will play in the cab versus using the DVD player and having just TV speakers.
The Sony head unit doesn't have a DVD player. My coach has a physical Sony Blue-ray player attached to the TV above the cab. The sound goes through the TV, which is more then adequate so far. I haven't tried using the TV while driving, will try that on our trip in a week. Perhaps under that scenario, TV audio through the coach speakers may be useful.
bababooey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 11:46 AM   #17

Are there any firmware updates or anything like that for the Soundstream?

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 01:14 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jopopsy View Post
Are there any firmware updates or anything like that for the Soundstream?
I have emailed support asking if there was actually. I'll let you know what they say.
Old 09-25-2018, 07:06 PM   #19

Quote:
Just bought a 2019 29MV and it comes with this unit. I personally don't like it. It's clumsy to use, my keys stick so if you type in "frog" it will type "fffrroooogg". I'll take it in to get it fixed but may replace with something else. I want something with a knob cause the controls are too far and too small when you want to adjust volume while driving.

Also the mic for the phone is horrible and people can't hear me.

Totally agree! The sensitivity of the GPS inputs make it essentially unusable.
GABob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 08:19 PM   #20

I got the response back from support I guess it may be a known issue....

Hello,

I’m sorry for the situation with the navigation mode of your radio, but I don’t know of any “Firmware Flash File” reset modes for the radio.

If the reset function fails to clear the glitch with the unit, then it may need to be exchanged under warranty at the Jayco Dealership.

My Product Mgr. is also looking into this “glitch” with this model of our radios that only happens in the navigation mode.

If he comes up with a solution that can be performed in the field, I will let you know.

All the Best.

Kevin

Tags
soundstream