Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-19-2017, 03:49 PM   #1

South Dakota, Wyoming Trip

Planning trip next year to Mt. Rushmore, YellowStone and Grand Teton. Plan is to head to MT. Rushmore first and then on to Yellowstone and grand Teton. Will be starting from the Cincinnati area. Interested to hear from anyone about best route, best time of year to go, where to stay and what to see.

Thanks

Jeff & Della
2017 Greyhawk
mtnester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 11:52 AM   #2

We took 64 West to 70, then went North on 29 to 90. The roads aren't bad and if you take the bypass at Kansas City, you can avoid tolls. We had good experiences at KoAs in the badlands and Mt. Rushmore and really liked Colter Bay in the Tetons.

Old 08-20-2017, 12:24 PM   #3

memphis02 I was thinking from our location north of Cincy of taking I-74 to Indy and then 80 over to 29 up to 90. Good to know about the KOAs because that's where we like to stay.

Thanks for the info

Jeff & Della
2017 Greyhawk
mtnester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 01:55 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnester View Post
memphis02 I was thinking from our location north of Cincy of taking I-74 to Indy and then 80 over to 29 up to 90. Good to know about the KOAs because that's where we like to stay.
That's the route, did it twice from Cincy. Try to stop in Mitchell to see the Corn Palace and also try to tour the Minute Man silo and control center right off of I-90.

www.nps.gov/mimi/index.htm

Just avoid the Rapid City KOA, crappy sites, mud holes if it rains and an even crappier manager.
Grumpy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 03:04 PM   #5

we live in columbus ohio, just got back from 45 days going west, the route mtnester said is the route we took. I80 in Iowa in places will beat you the death, but still a good rt
rjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 04:43 PM   #6

Send a message via AIM to BillV Send a message via MSN to BillV
If you travel highway 20 from Casper to Cody, Wyoming be sure to stop at the Black Bear Cafe in Thermopolis, WY. Great atmosphere and food.
BillV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 05:11 PM   #7

Wha I remember most about the trip to Billings, Montana in 2007 was the wind. Every day after we left Kansas City, Mo., the wind was endless. Our group were on Gold Wing motorcycles and trikes. We were litteraly blown frm one lane into the other several times. This was in late June/ early July. Just something to be aware of, enjoy your trip.
Lolead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 05:16 PM   #8

If you don't have school age kids, recommend going before school lets out for the summer or about two weeks after school starts. Weather is usually good and the availability of camping sites is much improved. Out of Mt. Rushmore be sure to go by Devils Tower in eastern Wyoming. It is on the way from Mt. Rushmore to Yellowstone & Grand Tetons.
jkaras7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 06:13 PM   #9

We went on 80 on our way to Y.S. from 29 Via Lincoln. All I can say about that stretch of road is "Buckle Up". I was genuinely concerned we were going to break things on account of the road being so terrible.
Old 08-20-2017, 07:30 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnester View Post
Planning trip next year to Mt. Rushmore, YellowStone and Grand Teton. Plan is to head to MT. Rushmore first and then on to Yellowstone and grand Teton. Will be starting from the Cincinnati area. Interested to hear from anyone about best route, best time of year to go, where to stay and what to see.

Thanks

I was in hill city last year. If you like steak there is a small place right in town. They only have two things on the menu steak and a chicken dish. One of the best steaks I have ever had.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk