Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-23-2017, 08:14 PM   #1

Spare tire

We just recently purchased a 2016 Jayco 31FK. It is not our first class C. Previously we owned two Forest River Foresters. I was surprised that Jayco class C's did not come with a spare tire. Have any of you ever had any concerns over not having a spare available if it ever became necessary? It is one thing to rely on roadside assistance if you always travel where there is cell service but we travel up into the mountains of Idaho where we frequently do not have phone service. Do any of you carry a spare? Did you mount it? Where?
Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-23-2017, 09:35 PM   #2

Our 31FK also lacked a spare. I bought a rim from another JOF member who was upgrading his stock rims and then had a tire mounted on it. For now I carry it in the rear cargo compartment but would eventually like to mount it beneath the frame.

Although we do have roadside service, I figured that having a spare might get us back on the road in a couple of hours as opposed to a couple of days waiting for the local tire warehouse to open.

2014 Greyhawk 31FK
2007 Honda Shadow Sabre 1100cc
NC Roamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 09:40 PM   #3

definitely two camps on this one. Plenty of folks who think running without a spare is pretty doggone dumb.

Me? I'm looking at 140 ft.lb torqued nuts, a 150 pound spare tire, chocks and jacks... If I tire blows, we're sitting life out in the coach until the wrecker comes. We're rarely that far from a cell signal, so...
pconroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 09:50 PM   #4

I invested in a steel wheel and tire and have a hitch receiver that carries it. The receiver still allows a tow behind or trailer. I agree the jacks, blocks, torque equipment is a hassle but I don't believe in not being prepared. Might never use all of it but I darn sure worry less being prepared. Also invest in a TPMS as this is also valuable peace of mind.
BrentJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 10:09 PM   #5

Thanks NC Roamer, pconroy and BrentJ - I figured there would be two camps on this subject.
Not sure but will probably lean toward getting a spare to carry somewhere in/on the rig. I like having one with me. I have never needed it in the past but you never know! I will have to take a look once the weather gets a "little warmer" to see if it's possible to mount it under the back where it was on my Foresters. On the Forest River forum owners were always talking about buying a cable lift from the stock E450's to replace the simple chain set up that came on the rigs. I will have to see if a tire will fit under there first the possibly go to a fabricator to see if something can be made, or put it in the back!
Thanks again for your time.
Old 01-23-2017, 10:17 PM   #6

Here is a pic of my mount with tow bar installed in case you go this way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-23-2017, 11:06 PM   #7

I picked up a spare tire mount from Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 It's a bother to remove it when I tow but I just couldn't pay the price for the mount that is set up for towing too. I too would prefer to mount it underneath but I'm not sure there's room on my MV.
Old 01-24-2017, 06:07 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentJ View Post
Here is a pic of my mount with tow bar installed in case you go this way.

Which mount is that?

2014 Jayco Redhawk 31XL
Towing 2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Old 01-24-2017, 07:58 AM   #9

Roadmaster brand. Best price was Amazon.

Old 01-24-2017, 08:24 AM   #10

BrentJ, thank you for the photo of your hitch adapter for the spare tire. I appreciate the follow up.
Old 01-24-2017, 08:28 AM   #11

Hoppers4, thank you for the information on your hitch mount for the spare tire. I appreciate the information. I am not sure if there is room for mine underneath the unit either, We are buried in snow over here in Idaho and my motorhome is snugly put away under covered storage. I will have to take a better look when I can get the unit over to my home. Thanks again for the information.
Old 01-24-2017, 09:03 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilm2113 View Post
We just recently purchased a 2016 Jayco 31FK. It is not our first class C. Previously we owned two Forest River Foresters. I was surprised that Jayco class C's did not come with a spare tire. Have any of you ever had any concerns over not having a spare available if it ever became necessary? It is one thing to rely on roadside assistance if you always travel where there is cell service but we travel up into the mountains of Idaho where we frequently do not have phone service. Do any of you carry a spare? Did you mount it? Where?
Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
A spare tire issue. I have spare steel 16" rim for sale. $ 150 plus shipping from area code 44001. No tire. For a class c. Ford E -450 series. New rim from Ford wants over $ 400.
ih-nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 09:51 AM   #13

I have a 31 foot Greyhawk 2009. I tried putting the spare underneath no room, so I looked around and it fit under the bed in the rear.I placed in in a large garbage bag and it laid perfect fit on the shelf under the bed and made a support to keep it from sliding around.
che57vy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 10:32 AM   #14

Send a message via MSN to alvinator
Our 2016 Greyhawk does not have a spare. To solve that problem for our trip this year, I am going to buy an unmounted spare and strap it to my spare tire carrier on my Jeep Wrangler. Any road service can then mount the tire roadside. Just be sure to tell your tow provider it is unmounted.
Demco Stay n Play
alvinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 10:54 AM   #15

We made the dealer throw in the spare and Road-master mount as part of the deal. Of course we wouldn't try to change it ourselves, but it's great to know it's there for AAA to take care of.
2 Bluetick Hounds
1 Newfoundland
1 Newfoundland / Black Lab Mix
1 Cairn Terrier
The Logans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 11:06 AM   #16

Here's how I added a spare tire and winch mount to my 2016 Greyhawk 31FS:

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/me...lbums1141.html
jgerhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 01:27 PM   #17

I bought a reconditioned rim on the internet. Can't remember the web site at the moment. I called them before I made the purchase. They seemed legit in their answers. I paid around $100. Took the rim to Discount Tire in Washington State. Bought an identical Michelin tire to the ones on the motorhome. They mounted and balanced it with no problem. I keep the spare in the rear cargo area. I also keep a tow dolly spare there. I would use road service to change out a flat tire. But having a ready spare means there would be minimal delays. If I never have a flat, I consider the spare tire as cheap insurance.

2013 Jayco Greyhawk 31DS
2002 Honda Accord towed, ACME tow dolly
Northwest Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 01:47 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilm2113 View Post
We are buried in snow over here in Idaho and my motorhome is snugly put away under covered storage. I will have to take a better look when I can get the unit over to my home. Thanks again for the information.

I'm in the same coach and I've been underneath several times. I think you could *fashion* something under there, but it would take a bit of welding and I think it might hang down a bit.

Not a big deal, as our jacks already hang way down.

Everything is doable - break bar or nice impact wrench for the lug nuts. The leveling jacks should be able to lift a tire off the ground.

It seems like a solvable problem.
pconroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 07:28 PM   #19

Thanks everyone for the great information, it is very much appreciated. Now to take everyone's advice and come up with a plan before our first trip in March. Thanks again to all of you.