Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-02-2016, 03:37 PM   #1

Spare Tire Carrier

In my neck of the woods, I’m not comfortable traveling in my Redhawk 26XD without the security of a spare tire. A recent tire incident with my Ford Edge proved I do need to carry a spare for my MH.
After reading my owner’s manual and talking with my dealer, It appears Jayco’s answer to the problem is to call RV Care, which is great if you have local cell service, which can be spotty at best or use a land line if you can find one, and of course the tow service carry your size tire, if not!!!
My question: What has been the experience of users using hitch receiver style tire carriers, or a custom mounted carrier attached directly to the frame. I would hate to void my warranty by attaching directly to the frame, although I don’t see why it should.
Use of a bumper mount is not an option.
brandysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 04:03 PM   #2

I currently use a hitch spare in the form of my CJ-5 Jeep. In the past when caught with out being able to get tire service I moved one of my duals to the flat. Now I no longer even carry the break bar capable of removing the lug nuts. The tires and wheels on the Seneca are too heavy for us old guys to lift into place.
Old skipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 04:14 PM   #3

Prior 5W had one of these bumper mounts that worked well.
http://www.amazon.com/Ultra-Fab-Prod.../dp/B0041388UG
2000 F250SD SRW 7.3 LB Extended Cab Air Bags
2002 Western Star 4900EX 500 Detroit 13sp.
2014 Eagle 30.5BHLT (sold)
Edd505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 04:15 PM   #4

Thanks Old Skipper. Weight is not that much of an issue, about 85lbs. My grandchildren say "I'm older than dirt" but I can still pull my weight.
Old 01-02-2016, 04:30 PM   #5

Double the weight and see if you still think no problem, the last tire I changed on my medium duty was in excess of 150 pounds I struggled and kept thinking gee this used not to be hard to do.
Old 01-02-2016, 04:44 PM   #6

Call Ford and see what you can do with out warranty issues my suggestion is with a frame mount set up. Hitch mount is cheaper and will work.
Old 01-02-2016, 07:08 PM   #7

This is the best money that we didn't spend (the dealer threw it in for free)...

Roadmaster Inc. - Tow Bars, Braking Systems & RV Accessories

Works GREAT, and allows us to still tow, use a bike rack, etc., and the thing is solid as a rock.

There is a video on the website (and on YouTube) that shows how it works.
2 Bluetick Hounds
1 Newfoundland
1 Newfoundland / Black Lab Mix
1 Cairn Terrier
The Logans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 08:29 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Logans View Post
This is the best money that we didn't spend (the dealer threw it in for free)...

Roadmaster Inc. - Tow Bars, Braking Systems & RV Accessories

Works GREAT, and allows us to still tow, use a bike rack, etc., and the thing is solid as a rock.

There is a video on the website (and on YouTube) that shows how it works.
That looks like a great solution! The only reason I did not go with something like that is due to my 31DS already being pretty well rear-weighted, so I had a 2" hitch receiver mounted on the front and use a hitch mounted spare carrier on it. Not the prettiest solution, but maybe it provides some extra collision protection LOL.

If I had anything better to do I would be doing it :)
snowbird47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 01:09 PM   #9

Thanks Logans for the tip on the Roadmaster tire carrier, it appears to be a great option.
I spent yesterday searching out a source for the unit, unfortunately with the current exchange rate on the Canadian dollar plus taxes and shipping out of the US, the costs ranged between one thousand and fourteen hundred dollars Canadian. More than I wanted to spend.
As I have been unable to come up with an alternative, and necessity being the mother of invention, I will be going to my local fabricator to weld up a unit.
I’m envisioning a “U” shaped bracket of channel iron secured to the frame members with square U-bolts and resting on top of the existing bumper which is in line with the frame (there is a one-inch gap between the frame members and the MH body). There would be little to no weight on the bumper. The tire carrier itself and support configuration would be a variation of existing carriers for dually tires.
What do you think? I’ll let you know how it works out.

Old 01-06-2016, 02:58 PM   #10

Yeah, It "ain't" cheap! It about $ 650.00 (US), and I don't think I could have afforded it if I had to buy it outright. Negotiating it into the deal on the new motorhome worked out great for us.
2 Bluetick Hounds
1 Newfoundland
1 Newfoundland / Black Lab Mix
1 Cairn Terrier
The Logans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 09:23 PM   #11

I bought a Siamese hitch and put a hitch mounted spare tire mount on it and put the tow dolly below. Works great.
billayers is offline   Reply With Quote