Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-21-2019, 04:38 PM   #11

Try this: Troy Engineered Components and Assemblies. I installed it on my Grey Hawk with no problems.

wsherm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 05:11 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoski View Post
KBlast,
Thanks for the response. Yes I know the "Hide a spare" by BAL is not for motorhomes. However, the "retract a spare" is for motorhomes according to their website. I am wondering if anyone has installed a retract a spare successfully on a Greyhawk. Their pictures show the spare tire offset, and I think I need it centered on the 29MV.

Thanks
Joe

HI Joe

Yes I used the "retract a spare" on my 2018 Greyhawk. It just fit under the rear of the unit. It actually was an easy install as it sat right up on top of the frame rails of the truck and i held it in place with a couple of small welds.

Bruce
Attached Thumbnails
20190204_165634.jpg   20190204_165224.jpg  

Berjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 09:49 AM   #13

Thanks Berjr! Any concern about access to the tanks should they have to be removed? Looks like I will need to find a shop that can do the welding for me.
Hoski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 10:07 AM   #14

Quote:
Thanks Berjr! Any concern about access to the tanks should they have to be removed? Looks like I will need to find a shop that can do the welding for me.

honestly i did not think about a future tank removal. Hoping ill never need to do it. But i think it would be fairly straight forward to remove it with a grinder if needed. you could try to bolt it on.

it will be a little bit of a pain in the A to retract it down due to the crank location but i have have one of those cordless impact guns that will lower it down in just a few seconds.

the white hose in the picture is my fresh water tank vent I capped the other 2 and routed this one up above the tank it stopped my siphoning issue.
Berjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 12:41 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berjr View Post
honestly i did not think about a future tank removal. Hoping ill never need to do it. But i think it would be fairly straight forward to remove it with a grinder if needed. you could try to bolt it on.

it will be a little bit of a pain in the A to retract it down due to the crank location but i have have one of those cordless impact guns that will lower it down in just a few seconds.

the white hose in the picture is my fresh water tank vent I capped the other 2 and routed this one up above the tank it stopped my siphoning issue.
Berjr,
Thanks again for the response. Looking at the install instructions, and the way you mounted the retract a spare above the frame which pulls the tire up as high as possible, I think I will get a couple of pieces of angle iron welded to each frame, where your weld joints are, that I can then sit the retract a spare above, and bolt it down through the angle iron. This way should I ever (hopefully not!) have to remove it for tank service I can. This should also provide easier access to the retracting nut. A cordless impact drill would be the way to go.
Also thanks for the fresh water tank vent idea. I saw a tech note from Jayco on that, and have it on my list of "to dos"!
Hoski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 08:39 PM   #16

Quote:
Berjr,
Thanks again for the response. Looking at the install instructions, and the way you mounted the retract a spare above the frame which pulls the tire up as high as possible, I think I will get a couple of pieces of angle iron welded to each frame, where your weld joints are, that I can then sit the retract a spare above, and bolt it down through the angle iron. This way should I ever (hopefully not!) have to remove it for tank service I can. This should also provide easier access to the retracting nut. A cordless impact drill would be the way to go.
Also thanks for the fresh water tank vent idea. I saw a tech note from Jayco on that, and have it on my list of "to dos"!

No need to weld the cross members to the frame. I used 2 pieces of 1/8 angle iron, drilled and bolted them across the rear frame. I bolted on a tire crank lift from an e450 that i got on ebay. $45 Then I fashioned a crank arm from a 24" ratchet (harbor freight) and an old socket wrench. It fits well between the rear bumper and cranks up and down with no problems the tire tucks away perfectly below the fresh water tank. Since it's bolted you can remove them to get at the tanks if need be. Total cost about $75

rodpod is offline   Reply With Quote