Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-08-2019, 02:43 PM   #1

Spare tire carrier

I have been searching for a decent spare tire carrier for our 2018 Greyhawk. I found 2-3 hitch mounted type carriers but something about them does not appeal to me. I was wondering has anyone tried one of these drop down type?

BAL - Innovative Products for the RV Industry

It appears i might have just enough room to install one of these underneath but wondered if anyone else gave one a try.

attached is a picture of the location i was thinking, not completely positive how i would get to the lowering device unless i drill a hole through the frame to get at the end of the lowering nut.
Attached Thumbnails
20181110_111421.jpg  
Berjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 04:40 PM   #2

I have put underbelly mounts on a previous unit, primarily for weight issues (tail wagger) and my latest for looks. The BAL unit bolts right up to the frame by self drilling nuts. I put the spare tire right in front of the steps on my 23RL, about 1.5 inches higher than the axles. Made a HUGE difference on the previous FR unit, not so much on the Jayco because of longer wheelbase. Have no idea what effect it would have on a class-C.
kblast523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 06:26 PM   #3

I saw a post somewhere, wherein they used bed rails across the span to mount a winch to pull and hold the tire in place. I found it easier to just store the spare under the bed. Here's to hoping we never need it, but I'd rather make a call and have them come by and change it without having to locate a spare. Such an event nevr seems to happen at an opportune time.
Old 01-08-2019, 06:45 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berjr View Post
I have been searching for a decent spare tire carrier for our 2018 Greyhawk. I found 2-3 hitch mounted type carriers but something about them does not appeal to me. I was wondering has anyone tried one of these drop down type?

BAL - Innovative Products for the RV Industry

It appears i might have just enough room to install one of these underneath but wondered if anyone else gave one a try.

attached is a picture of the location i was thinking, not completely positive how i would get to the lowering device unless i drill a hole through the frame to get at the end of the lowering nut.
The link didn't work for me. I previously had a Bal Hide-a-spare. I installed it myself with my teenage son, (and a visit from a black bear another story...) in less than three hours and two beers. I had a covered underbelly making it harder.

You would need the correct model for your frame type and non-enclosed under belly. Getting to the carrier after it is mounted is easy. The rounded rails extend as handles. The hand nut turns after the retainer clip is removed. You then just drop the handles and pull it out.

The carrier bolts to your frame and without the underbelly cover, installation would be easy.

madmaxmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 06:57 PM   #5

Further down the BAL web page:
Model 28218 (B)
68" to 75" frame width, Underslung mount for
trailers with enclosed underbelly
Not designed for use on motorhomes or motorized vehicles.
Old 01-09-2019, 01:38 PM   #6

I was looking at the "Retract-A-Spare" Model #28240 i
t is just like the unit under my pick up truck by the same company maybe this link will work better

https://youtu.be/sg-ObPqOKzE

https://www.amazon.com/BAL-R-V-Produ.../dp/B07D1DRLY6

Model 28240

BAL introduces another innovative, space saving product: The Retract-A-Spare Tire Carrier. Allowing you to store your spare tire under your trailer and off the rear bumper, its universal, telescoping design offers mounting on almost all travel trailers, 5th wheels, and motorized RVs. In the unfortunate event that you need your spare tire, simply hand crank the spare to the ground utilizing its cable retraction system. Simple installation and easy operation.

Telescopic design fits frame widths of 52” to 72”
Mounts under frame rails for better location versatility
Multiple cable spools spread cable out eliminating coil memorization
E-Coated for superior rust-inhibitive finish
Made in the USA with a Two-Year Limited Warranty
Drilling through frame rail & carrier channel required
Up to 16.5” wheel and tire
Mounting hardware included
PATENT PENDING
Attached Thumbnails
retract-a-spare1.jpg  
Old 01-09-2019, 09:38 PM   #7

Quote:

I was looking at the "Retract-A-Spare" Model #28240 i
t is just like the unit under my pick up truck by the same company maybe this link will work better

https://youtu.be/sg-ObPqOKzE

https://www.amazon.com/BAL-R-V-Produ.../dp/B07D1DRLY6

Model 28240

BAL introduces another innovative, space saving product: The Retract-A-Spare Tire Carrier. Allowing you to store your spare tire under your trailer and off the rear bumper, its universal, telescoping design offers mounting on almost all travel trailers, 5th wheels, and motorized RVs. In the unfortunate event that you need your spare tire, simply hand crank the spare to the ground utilizing its cable retraction system. Simple installation and easy operation.

Telescopic design fits frame widths of 52” to 72”
Mounts under frame rails for better location versatility
Multiple cable spools spread cable out eliminating coil memorization
E-Coated for superior rust-inhibitive finish
Made in the USA with a Two-Year Limited Warranty
Drilling through frame rail & carrier channel required
Up to 16.5” wheel and tire
Mounting hardware included
PATENT PENDING

Has anyone on the forum installed one of these in a Jayco class C?. I have a 29 MV and there is an area between the frame rails and behind the water tank where a spare will fit. This mount seems to be configured with the wheel offset. To fit, the wheel would have to mount in the exact center of the area.
rodpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 06:41 AM   #8

Did you get an answer on this? I have the same question for our 2019 Greyhawk 29MV.

Thanks
Hoski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 09:02 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodpod View Post
Has anyone on the forum installed one of these in a Jayco class C?. I have a 29 MV and there is an area between the frame rails and behind the water tank where a spare will fit. This mount seems to be configured with the wheel offset. To fit, the wheel would have to mount in the exact center of the area.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoski View Post
Did you get an answer on this? I have the same question for our 2019 Greyhawk 29MV.

Thanks

I put an under chassis spare tire carrier on my JayFeather last year, if I recall, it SPECIFICALLY states in the installation instructions not to install on a motorized vehicle, only on a trailer.
Old 04-21-2019, 10:43 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by kblast523 View Post
I put an under chassis spare tire carrier on my JayFeather last year, if I recall, it SPECIFICALLY states in the installation instructions not to install on a motorized vehicle, only on a trailer.
KBlast,
Thanks for the response. Yes I know the "Hide a spare" by BAL is not for motorhomes. However, the "retract a spare" is for motorhomes according to their website. I am wondering if anyone has installed a retract a spare successfully on a Greyhawk. Their pictures show the spare tire offset, and I think I need it centered on the 29MV.

Thanks
Joe
Old 04-21-2019, 04:38 PM   #11

Try this: Troy Engineered Components and Assemblies. I installed it on my Grey Hawk with no problems.
wsherm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 05:11 AM   #12

Quote:
KBlast,
Thanks for the response. Yes I know the "Hide a spare" by BAL is not for motorhomes. However, the "retract a spare" is for motorhomes according to their website. I am wondering if anyone has installed a retract a spare successfully on a Greyhawk. Their pictures show the spare tire offset, and I think I need it centered on the 29MV.

Thanks
Joe

HI Joe

Yes I used the "retract a spare" on my 2018 Greyhawk. It just fit under the rear of the unit. It actually was an easy install as it sat right up on top of the frame rails of the truck and i held it in place with a couple of small welds.

Bruce
Attached Thumbnails
20190204_165634.jpg   20190204_165224.jpg  
Old 04-22-2019, 09:49 AM   #13

Thanks Berjr! Any concern about access to the tanks should they have to be removed? Looks like I will need to find a shop that can do the welding for me.
Old 04-22-2019, 10:07 AM   #14

Quote:
Thanks Berjr! Any concern about access to the tanks should they have to be removed? Looks like I will need to find a shop that can do the welding for me.

honestly i did not think about a future tank removal. Hoping ill never need to do it. But i think it would be fairly straight forward to remove it with a grinder if needed. you could try to bolt it on.

it will be a little bit of a pain in the A to retract it down due to the crank location but i have have one of those cordless impact guns that will lower it down in just a few seconds.

the white hose in the picture is my fresh water tank vent I capped the other 2 and routed this one up above the tank it stopped my siphoning issue.
Old 04-22-2019, 12:41 PM   #15

Quote:
honestly i did not think about a future tank removal. Hoping ill never need to do it. But i think it would be fairly straight forward to remove it with a grinder if needed. you could try to bolt it on.

it will be a little bit of a pain in the A to retract it down due to the crank location but i have have one of those cordless impact guns that will lower it down in just a few seconds.

the white hose in the picture is my fresh water tank vent I capped the other 2 and routed this one up above the tank it stopped my siphoning issue.
Berjr,
Thanks again for the response. Looking at the install instructions, and the way you mounted the retract a spare above the frame which pulls the tire up as high as possible, I think I will get a couple of pieces of angle iron welded to each frame, where your weld joints are, that I can then sit the retract a spare above, and bolt it down through the angle iron. This way should I ever (hopefully not!) have to remove it for tank service I can. This should also provide easier access to the retracting nut. A cordless impact drill would be the way to go.
Also thanks for the fresh water tank vent idea. I saw a tech note from Jayco on that, and have it on my list of "to dos"!
Old 04-23-2019, 08:39 PM   #16

Quote:
Berjr,
Thanks again for the response. Looking at the install instructions, and the way you mounted the retract a spare above the frame which pulls the tire up as high as possible, I think I will get a couple of pieces of angle iron welded to each frame, where your weld joints are, that I can then sit the retract a spare above, and bolt it down through the angle iron. This way should I ever (hopefully not!) have to remove it for tank service I can. This should also provide easier access to the retracting nut. A cordless impact drill would be the way to go.
Also thanks for the fresh water tank vent idea. I saw a tech note from Jayco on that, and have it on my list of "to dos"!

No need to weld the cross members to the frame. I used 2 pieces of 1/8 angle iron, drilled and bolted them across the rear frame. I bolted on a tire crank lift from an e450 that i got on ebay. $45 Then I fashioned a crank arm from a 24" ratchet (harbor freight) and an old socket wrench. It fits well between the rear bumper and cranks up and down with no problems the tire tucks away perfectly below the fresh water tank. Since it's bolted you can remove them to get at the tanks if need be. Total cost about $75
rodpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 03:17 PM   #17

There are lots of other posts online about BAL. Do your research. I called and talked to the company NORCOINC that now own BAL. The Hide A Spare was not designed for motorized vehicles and the Retract a Spare is too long to fit between the 41" gap between ibeams, so you end up having to cut it down and weld the bracket from one onto the other to shorten it. Check out posts from other Jayco owners who posted their pics.
AmberDread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 06:09 PM   #18

Hi Berjr,

Below is a thread from last year on this topic. I posted in it extensively as I was chasing the spare tire issue then as well. I linked exactly what I bought and where I got it, how much it cost and what it all weighs installed. I also posted pictures of how I chose to complete the job. A year later: the solution I chose, I've been very happy with what I did and would do it exactly the same if I was starting from scratch today. It's similar to the past you seem to be headed down.

Here's the link to the thread:

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...eel-70606.html

Good luck.
Adam
alazear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 08:00 PM   #19

Just going to throw this thought out there...

Scenario: You throw a tire on the interstate and pull over onto the 5-Ft pavement shoulder and slowly get out of the travel lane. You have the passenger tires off the pavement and where they are sitting it is almost two feet lower than the tires on the drivers side. Your tandem axles are nearly dragging the edge of the shoulder and the axle with the flat is almost touching the ground in the middle. The tire that blew is on the drivers side. (real example we had last year)

Do you want to get your spare tire from out under your trailer? You might need to jack up your trailer to get enough space to retrieve your spare tire from under it. Some of these spare tire racks require a lot of room to crawl under the trailer to get the tire out when ALL tires are on flat pavement and fully inflated.
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 06:01 PM   #20

Put the Retract-A-Spare on a Redhawk 24B. Put it on top of the frame and bolted it down. There was a couple of big holes in the top of the frame. I centered over them and put a long 1/2" bolt on the drivers side and cut a couple of pieces of flat metal for the passenger side.

Passenger Side

Drivers side

2naEagle is offline   Reply With Quote