Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-30-2022, 10:26 PM   #1

Spare Tire Carrier

We just got a spare tire carrier for our Class C Melborne. It is a Roadmaster and it hooks into your hitch receiver and then the towbar hooks right into your spare tire carrier. ordered it from Amazon and it cost about $500. Took about 1 hour to attach. Much better than no spare tire and easy to get at if needed. Hope this helps anyone who likes to carry a spare.
pattyk7joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2022, 11:14 AM   #2

I don't carry a spare tire as I probably couldn't change it myself if I had one. The idea is to use insurance to call someone to change the tire and if it's a front tire they can use one of the back tires temporarily until I can limp to a tire store. Also carry a four down car so the hitch is used. I guess this idea does give you peace of mind though.
Joey55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2022, 08:20 PM   #3

We didn't have a spare on our Redhawk either until we started wandering around in places with no people and driving after dark and on weekends. I figured that I could eventually get a mechanic out to help us, but where would I find a spare tire on a Sunday evening. We had a tire kit installed underneath, behind the tanks and right in front of the rear bumper. The kit has an arm that extends to one side that I can crank up and down with a ratchet/drill.
MikeinNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2022, 05:10 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeinNC View Post
We didn't have a spare on our Redhawk either until we started wandering around in places with no people and driving after dark and on weekends. I figured that I could eventually get a mechanic out to help us, but where would I find a spare tire on a Sunday evening. We had a tire kit installed underneath, behind the tanks and right in front of the rear bumper. The kit has an arm that extends to one side that I can crank up and down with a ratchet/drill.
Thanks for the information Mike. Do you have any pictures, or links to the site where you bought this kit?
Old 11-06-2022, 03:37 PM   #5

Here's my attempt to attach pics. I don't have the kit model name/number as it was purchased and installed by my RV repair guys. It's Sunday, so I'll try to check with them when they open up tomorrow. I did note that etrailer has something like this on their site.
Attached Thumbnails
Spare tire 1.jpg   Spare Tire 2.jpg   Spare tire 3.jpg   Spare tire 4.jpg   Spare tire 5.jpg  

Old 11-06-2022, 03:42 PM   #6

Oh, yes, I initially was concerned that the tire might drag, but I have found that my toad hitch will contact before the tire. Of course I have a 4" drop in my hitch.
Old 11-15-2022, 01:32 PM   #7

Still waiting on our towbar, but since we will be towing a Jeep I don't believe we will need a drop hitch. Therefore I am concerned about spare tire clearance. Anyone have any experience or input?
Old 11-16-2022, 02:18 PM   #8

Spare tire clearance

Well, we've also been on a number of excursions over the last couple years without a toad since adding the spare kit. On those we weren't using the hitch. Our camper is a Jayco Redhawk 31xl so we have a good bit of tail to wag behind the rear wheels. Thus far, we have not drug the tire even though we have bottomed out the rear levelers a couple times.