Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-27-2019, 01:52 PM   #1

spare tire on odyssey 24b or redhawk 24B

I see these 24B's do not come with a spare tire , Has anyone added one to the their class C rv? If so, how? I just ordered a 24B and plan to have the road side assistance just in case.
onsite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 06:12 PM   #2

We just backed out of a deal we made on a 24LP . Found out after making deal No spare and our dealer said that they could get a spare/mount/jack from Jayco but also said the mount for the receiver was way cheaper. We said AMF . We were keeping our 5er anyway .
The issue for us is several of our regular trips goes thru areas of no cell service and have had a blowout with no cell. I can still change a tire but it's getting really hard.
poohbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 10:35 PM   #3
Lost in the Woods

I'm not sure how many of us can tackle a tire/rim change on these bigger rigs. I'm not afraid to tackle any project, but I have no plans on trying to jack up and change one of these wheels on the E450 chassis, so buying and having a spare ain't in the cards.

If I get a blow-out, it's roadside assistance, or Fix-a-Flat and the air compressor to get it so I can limp someplace for assistance.
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 05:42 AM   #4

we have a red hawk 22j and only carry a spare tire only no rim. store it wrapped in plastic bag in the cab over bunk. no way am I at 78 going to change tire. road side assistance. those tires are10 ply and weigh 34 lbs now add rim, not happening..
cherv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 07:11 AM   #5

Our one and only ever rv blowout totally destroyed the tire leaveing basically just a rim . This was on US 259 in the Oklahoma part of the Ouachita Mtns where no cell service for 10-15 miles either direction. Team effort to change, DW used a shovel as prybar to lift tire as I guided it on the lug. At 70 I can see the day it ain't happening but can still do it so no spare no sale.
poohbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 07:29 AM   #6

Spare tires are like an insurance policy...extra cost, but really nice to have when needed. If I had to wait on the side of a road for a few hours (while on vacation) I’d be kicking myself in the arse for not having one on hand.
Old 07-28-2019, 09:49 AM   #7

road side assistance Who?

Which road side assistance do you have? which is best for the price ?
Thanks
Old 07-28-2019, 02:37 PM   #8

I have a spare that for now is stored in the basement rear storage compartment on our 29xk. Our roadside assistance will change a tire if we have the spare. Later when the weather cools here i am going to fabricate a mount under rear of frame with a cable winch as on trucks.
Dgibbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 07:56 PM   #9

I'm sure that I will be scolded but I wanted the insurance of having a tire but not the cost and weight of a rim in case roadside assistance did not have what I wanted. I used 3 HD trucking straps and after wrapping the tire in plastic I mounted it between the frame rails right behind the fuel tank with the straps. With 4 of us in the coach it was too much to constantly keep moving it from the bed/bunk areas out of the way.
drmike961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 08:07 PM   #10

Thanks for the info, was just wondering how the smaller class c handle issues without spares. I will purchase roadside assistance for sure,
Thanks
Old 07-28-2019, 08:31 PM   #11
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmike961 View Post
I'm sure that I will be scolded but I wanted the insurance of having a tire but not the cost and weight of a rim in case roadside assistance did not have what I wanted. I used 3 HD trucking straps and after wrapping the tire in plastic I mounted it between the frame rails right behind the fuel tank with the straps. With 4 of us in the coach it was too much to constantly keep moving it from the bed/bunk areas out of the way.
So, it sounds like you have just the tire, right, not mounted on a rim? Or is it both, tire and rim?

Will roadside assistance mount up a tire on a rim on the side of the road? How do they balance it?

That's the problem with our short rigs, no big space to store something like this.
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 08:48 PM   #12

Yes just the tire. I have read and was told by many that roadside assistance has the capability to mount your spare tire to your rim on the side of the road assuming the rim is not damaged. I have no knowledge of the details of how that works including balancing (if at all). To me it is worth having on hand.
drmike961 is offline   Reply With Quote