Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-29-2020, 07:51 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berjr View Post
there are 2-3 diferant posts on spare tire placement.

I installed our spare under the coach behind the black water tank just in front of the bumper and hitch mount
Do you have any pictures of the support brackets you made to mount the raise cable too?
Antper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 12:06 PM   #22

Quote:

I installed our spare under the coach behind the black water tank just in front of the bumper and hitch mount
How did you mount the tire? I see the cable that holds the wheel but where did you attached the cable?
D'Tour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 07:57 AM   #23

Quote:

Hello, I am looking to purchase the same solution for my Rv and just wondering if you have to get underneath the unit to raise and lower the spare tire, or if you can access the crank somehow without getting on your back.

Appreciate your time and feedback.
Gmarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 08:00 AM   #24

I have to get underneath to crank down my spare tire under the rear. Takes a 3/4” socket or ratchet wrench and comes down pretty easy.
Dgibbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 06:24 PM   #25

Thank you very much!
Old 04-07-2021, 07:23 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmarch View Post
Hello, I am looking to purchase the same solution for my Rv and just wondering if you have to get underneath the unit to raise and lower the spare tire, or if you can access the crank somehow without getting on your back.

I have to get under the coach to get at it but it s not that difficult , I generally carry a cordless impact so it comes down pretty easily. it is tall enough under there i can just crouch down and don't have to lay down to do it
Berjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 07:27 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by D'Tour View Post
How did you mount the tire? I see the cable that holds the wheel but where did you attached the cable?
I used the Re-tracta spare mount here is a link to amazon but i believe i bought it some place else https://www.amazon.com/BAL-R-V-Produ.../dp/B07D1DRLY6
Old 04-07-2021, 07:28 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antper View Post
Do you have any pictures of the support brackets you made to mount the raise cable too?
I used the Re-tracta spare mount here is a link to amazon but i believe i bought it some place else https://www.amazon.com/BAL-R-V-Produ.../dp/B07D1DRLY6
Old 04-07-2021, 09:10 AM   #29

I made a carrier they I welded to the hitch that is mounted in the rear. I had to make it swivel so I could get to the storage compartment.
Travel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 09:05 PM   #30

Quote:
I have to get under the coach to get at it but it s not that difficult , I generally carry a cordless impact so it comes down pretty easily. it is tall enough under there i can just crouch down and don't have to lay down to do it
I just took possession of my Greyhawk 27U and I have confirmed I have room behind the bumper and between the frame for the BAL retract a spare. However, this product states it fits from 52”-72”, but the space between my frame rails is more like 40ish. I am thinking I can take the retract a spare to a welder and get part of it cut off to make it work, but just wanted to hear if you or others have had to modify the retract a spare to work for your unit? Many thanks.
Old 04-21-2021, 04:21 AM   #31

I just took delivery on a rim from here:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/16in-Ford-E...A/332386940277

I will let everyone know how it goes going to get a tire mounted this week at Schwabb.

Plan to keep it up on the bunk.

don_kleinschnitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 12:16 PM   #32

Quote:
I just took possession of my Greyhawk 27U and I have confirmed I have room behind the bumper and between the frame for the BAL retract a spare. However, this product states it fits from 52”-72”, but the space between my frame rails is more like 40ish. I am thinking I can take the retract a spare to a welder and get part of it cut off to make it work, but just wanted to hear if you or others have had to modify the retract a spare to work for your unit? Many thanks.

the Retract-a-spare is a 2 piece bracket I only used 1/2 of it it sat right on top of the frame rails for me and had it welded in place to hold it
Old 04-21-2021, 10:55 PM   #33

I mounted my spare on the rear bumper of my 2016 26XD. Drove from Kentucky to Alaska only issue was lug nuts vibrating loose driving along the miles of road construction. Double lug nuts solved the problem.
Bob-ky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 11:21 AM   #34

Is Spare Tire Needed?

Until reading this thread I haven't even thought about a spare.

I have RV roadside through Progressive but haven't had the need to use it (knock on wood).

Does Roadside Service carry spare wheels and tires?
Old 04-22-2021, 11:05 PM   #35

Quote:

Hello, I am hoping for some feedback before I purchase the retract a spare. Any information from your experience is appreciated. Thank you.
Old 04-23-2021, 05:34 AM   #36

Quote:
Hello, I am hoping for some feedback before I purchase the retract a spare. Any information from your experience is appreciated. Thank you.
With my set up yes you have to get under to lower the tire, you also have to get under to get the tire so it is not a big deal
Old 04-23-2021, 06:49 AM   #37

Quote:
With my set up yes you have to get under to lower the tire, you also have to get under to get the tire so it is not a big deal
We installed these on our rear bumper, very heavy duty and work perfectly, we carry our spare tire, bike rack and bbq mount with no worries.
https://mount-n-lock.com/safetystrut...bumper-failure
blane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 07:00 AM   #38

Quote:
the Retract-a-spare is a 2 piece bracket I only used 1/2 of it it sat right on top of the frame rails for me and had it welded in place to hold it
Thank you so much, Berjr.
Old 04-24-2021, 09:45 PM   #39

Quote:
With everything installed did you loose any ground clearance?
Old 04-25-2021, 03:14 AM   #40

I pulled a string to check angle and clearance after my undercarriage install. Rear bumper or hitch will hit ground before spare on driveways. Also the clearance is plenty to clear a normal curb as i used to have to back over driveway to hook up trailer.
Dgibbster is offline   Reply With Quote