Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-15-2024, 06:55 AM   #1

Spare tire - to carry or not?

We are very new to the RV Coach world picking up our 2013 Jayco Greyhawk this past October. No trips yet, but plan on a few shorter local trips this spring with a longer trip (3 weeks) in mid-spring 2024. The tires are in good shape but will replace all six at the end of 2024 (they are 5 and 6 years old currently). Having brakes done next month (70k on the vehicle, not sure if brakes were ever done). A spare tire was included with the coach and looks brand new but it is from 2013 so it's old but has not seen UV light. My question is should I lug the spare along with us for our trips? My understanding is if you need tire changing on the road you call a truck service to come and do it but I also am hearing most new coaches today do not include a spare tire.

Looking for advice from experienced road folks.

Many thanks.

Steve
KC1SA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2024, 08:56 AM   #2

Personally I would want a spare with me. I don't know why, but tires always seam to go bad on Sunday's when nothing is open. Yes you can call a truck service and they can bring a tire and change it. What I have been told they usually bring a low quality tire and charge you a LOT for it.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2024, 09:06 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
Personally I would want a spare with me. I don't know why, but tires always seam to go bad on Sunday's when nothing is open. Yes you can call a truck service and they can bring a tire and change it. What I have been told they usually bring a low quality tire and charge you a LOT for it.
I think the biggest problem is even getting someone to show up. As I posted in previous threads, AAA couldn't even find anybody near Indy to change a flat on our "C" and I had the spare. Luckily I had a jack and breaker bar.
Old 01-15-2024, 09:11 AM   #4

Yup, getting someone out to change the tire I would imagine is an issue. I have AAA but my experience with them is mixed even with just jumping a dead battery. I'll scope out truck services along my routes and hopefully have cell and internet service to make contact. I live near Hartford and New Haven CT, both big cities, and we have a ton of truck service centers since I91, I95 and I84 run through the the state. Hopefully I have the same luck when going west. Thanks for the inputs.
KC1SA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2024, 09:21 AM   #5

Throughout the years I have always carried a spare , Knock on wood , and have never had any tire problems. We now have a Class C with no spare. We are heading south in a couple weeks, and this will be the test. I have heard horror stories of people being stranded on road sides waiting hours for road side services I hope I'm not one of those.....
pauldeere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2024, 10:07 AM   #6

For five years, we ran with no Spare but with Roadside assistance. Then what Grumpy said, happened to us. Out in the middle of Nowhere Idaho. But on the interstate and thankfully had cell service.

The >estimate< was starting at $500. Like just the ante.

Luckily, we had a car. We drove an hour to the "closest" Walmart where I bought the electric impact gun, sockets and a pry bar. The Greyhawk jacks lifted us up. So two hours to get the stuff to remove the wheel, then an hour to take it to Discount. A few hours for them to mount one, then an hour back.

Then more time to go back to Discount to have the other one replaced since it was old.

This spring, I'm buying the gear to be able to carry a spare.
Old 01-15-2024, 10:09 AM   #7

Oh yeah, I forgot. The initial call with Roadside Assistance was heading towards them sending a tow truck to tow us 80 miles into town. Not to bring a tire...
Old 01-15-2024, 11:48 AM   #8

Mine being an older RV has a spare tire and wheel carrier just forward of the rear bumper that has a hoist to raise and lower it. I understand that carrier isn't even an option anymore which seems to me would be a valuable option to have. I haven't needed the spare but similar to having insurance, having it provides me with comfort in knowing I have it if needed. ~CA
Old 01-15-2024, 02:26 PM   #9

I’m a firm believer in Murphy’s law, “ what can go wrong will go wrong “. I carry a spare tire and all the necessary tools to change it. I also carry a tire plug kit and compressor. Never have used any of it.
1984 gmc k1500 4x4 s/w/b. s/b 350,700r4,373 diff,.restored and upgraded( retired - sold). 2022 Chevy Z-71 Trail Boss 4x4 crew cab s/w/b 6.2 gas a/t. 2018 hummingbird Baja 16mrb,Yamaha ef2400ishc inverter.
Happy wife / happy life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2024, 02:43 PM   #10

I guess the first question that comes to mind when you decide to carry a spare is, Am I going to change the tire myself, or going to have roadside assistance change it. If you are going to change the tire yourself you will also need a Jack, sockets, breaker bar, ratchet wrench or electric impact. And most of all the ability to do the work.
Old 01-15-2024, 02:54 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldeere View Post
I guess the first question that comes to mind when you decide to carry a spare is, Am I going to change the tire myself, or going to have roadside assistance change it. If you are going to change the tire yourself you will also need a Jack, sockets, breaker bar, ratchet wrench or electric impact. And most of all the ability to do the work.
To add to your list, everyone that intends to be able to change their tire need to know how to do so safely. I have encountered many people who have never changed a flat tire and although they thought they knew how, they didn't. ~CA
Old 01-15-2024, 03:49 PM   #12

Always . We had a blowout on the Yellowhead Highway in Alberta
No roadside service available. It was 150 km to the next town.
And in Northern Maine Good Sam or AAA will not respond in the woods

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2024, 04:53 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigav View Post
To add to your list, everyone that intends to be able to change their tire need to know how to do so safely. I have encountered many people who have never changed a flat tire and although they thought they knew how, they didn't. ~CA
I would recommend doing a test wheel change at home using the exact tools you'll be carrying with you in the RV. That way, you'll know for sure you have what you need. It would be a pity if you're out on your trip, only to discover that you're don't have an 8" long 1/2" drive extension to attach to your breaker bar when you have the socket, jack, and wheel chocks.
jyh818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2024, 04:53 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim Gass View Post
Always . We had a blowout on the Yellowhead Highway in Alberta
No roadside service available. It was 150 km to the next town.
And in Northern Maine Good Sam or AAA will not respond in the woods
What did you end up doing?
Old 01-15-2024, 07:36 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldeere View Post
need a Jack, sockets, breaker bar, ratchet wrench or electric impact. And most of all the ability to do the work.
The Greyhawk jacks worked perfectly for raising us up. In fact, I'd prefer those to any bottle jack. Lord knows you'd need a big bottle jack.

The $45 Electric Impact Walmart driver worked great. No breaker bar needed. The socket set was $22, but had I known which size, I'd have bought only that socket and saved $19. The Walmart Pry bar for the simulator was $4.

Lifting the &^%^$ tire and rim into the back of the wife's car was the killer.

When I got back I bought two more things for the tool chest:
1. A set of those uber-bright LED safety flashers.
2. I made a sign that says "Flat Tire. Will pay $20 for Young Man to lift it into Trunk."

Both will go on the rear of the RV, facing traffic, next time.
Old 01-16-2024, 07:30 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC1SA View Post
We are very new to the RV Coach world picking up our 2013 Jayco Greyhawk this past October. No trips yet, but plan on a few shorter local trips this spring with a longer trip (3 weeks) in mid-spring 2024. The tires are in good shape but will replace all six at the end of 2024 (they are 5 and 6 years old currently). Having brakes done next month (70k on the vehicle, not sure if brakes were ever done). A spare tire was included with the coach and looks brand new but it is from 2013 so it's old but has not seen UV light. My question is should I lug the spare along with us for our trips? My understanding is if you need tire changing on the road you call a truck service to come and do it but I also am hearing most new coaches today do not include a spare tire.

Looking for advice from experienced road folks.

Many thanks.

Steve
Going back to the chinese tires days I got in the habit of carrying two spares. On two occasions I needed them both. Of course I pull a fifth wheel so I had a truck bed to carry them in. I built a ramp out of 2x12's so no jacking and now carry a milwaukee battery impact drill to remove and install lug nuts. If you are going to change your own tires an impact gun is a must. One of the times I had two blow outs within a couple hours of each other was on a holiday week-end and the only place open to get tires was walmart. They would sell me the tires but said they were not allowed to install them on a trailer. Believe me, taking off and reinstalling four tires with a breaker bar was not fun. Both tires that blew were less than 2 years old and had very few miles on them.
camjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2024, 09:22 AM   #17

I am buying a spare tire but no rim. Since I will have my Toad I can head to a station to get it mounted. I have not been able to find a spare rim to fit the front. The newer caliber is different. The EBay sellers all say the older rim will not fit. OEM price is insane. Read the fine print, they say fit the back!
2016 Pinnacle FBTS Traded
Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2024, 10:11 AM   #18

In the case of an emergency you can always use one of your duallys for a spare. For example, if you have a flat on the front. just take one off the back. I always cary a long extention bar and pry bar and have removed and installed a few 22.5 tires. With the right tools its easier than one would think.
Dom101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2024, 02:16 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyh818 View Post
I would recommend doing a test wheel change at home using the exact tools you'll be carrying with you in the RV. That way, you'll know for sure you have what you need. It would be a pity if you're out on your trip, only to discover that you're don't have an 8" long 1/2" drive extension to attach to your breaker bar when you have the socket, jack, and wheel chocks.
Doing a test wheel change at home will most probably be done in ideal conditions. Having a tire failure on the road side will definitely not be in ideal conditions, totally different scenario.....
Old 01-16-2024, 05:18 PM   #20

Quote:
I am buying a spare tire but no rim. Since I will have my Toad I can head to a station to get it mounted. I have not been able to find a spare rim to fit the front. The newer caliber is different. The EBay sellers all say the older rim will not fit. OEM price is insane. Read the fine print, they say fit the back!
The front rims are different from the rear rims? Will a front rim fit the rear, but not vice versa?
LukeDagny is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jayco greyhawk, spare tire