Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-25-2020, 09:53 PM   #41

I agree that both need to know how to handle the RV. I made it a point to learn how to do everything set up, breakdown, behind the wheel and towing. I am almost 62 and there is no reason why both partners restrict themselves. I have a co worker who is scared to drive their small class A and her face was priceless when she learned I drive and tow LOL Stand proud ladies!
whackynurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 07:25 AM   #42

I drive more than my DH and I am the only one to back it up. I learned how from my dad while still on my permit learning how to drive a car. He made sure it was a life skill I learned, along with driving a stick shift.

DH had neck surgery a few years ago and can't turn the head enough to back up most cars, let alone the trailer. He does drive the truck as his daily car, but being retired, there's no commuting.

I'm a much better driver than DH in general, he cuts corners too tight and drives too fast, along with waiting too long to break, whether towing or not. I have trouble being a passenger when he's driving, even just in my car!

Square Dance Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 07:43 AM   #43

Y'all talking about stick-shift reminded me of an image I saw a few years ago.

LOL!!

My first car was a stick. If I wanted to go anywhere, I had to learn. So I learned. Me and DW both. And our old YJ is a 5-spd manual, so we keep in practice. Our son will learn on that Jeep. He'll probably be one of MAYBE a handful of his classmates that even know what a manual transmission is. And the only reason I'll give it a "handful" is because our local rural economy is very agricultural and manufacturing based...
Attached Thumbnails
Stick Shift.jpg  

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 08:01 AM   #44

My 27 year old learned on the stick and still drives my old Subaru Forester 5 speed. The 19 year old, nah........ never even wanted to try and you're right, I can only think of one of his friends who even learned how!

At 55, I got my first automatic, bought a Rav4 so the now 19 year old could learn how to drive and gave the Subaru to the then 25 year old (his Honda, also a stick, was rear ended and totaled so he needed something to drive)

I'm afraid it's a dying skill...........

Square Dance Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 08:29 AM   #45

I still drive one daily Tried to teach 17 year old grandson last summer we gave up maybe this summer
lrhogman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 09:40 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
Y'all talking about stick-shift reminded me of an image I saw a few years ago.

LOL!!

My first car was a stick. If I wanted to go anywhere, I had to learn. So I learned. Me and DW both. And our old YJ is a 5-spd manual, so we keep in practice. Our son will learn on that Jeep. He'll probably be one of MAYBE a handful of his classmates that even know what a manual transmission is. And the only reason I'll give it a "handful" is because our local rural economy is very agricultural and manufacturing based...
Being a British Ex Pat to get a full unrestricted license (which is needed for most lower level jobs) you must pass your test while driving a stick. I have not lived there for 15 years so things may of changed but I believe stick is still more popular.

My truck and my hybrid daily driver are both autos and I miss driving a stick so much. Last summer when we went to the UK to see mum I rented a stick which was the first time in many many years I had driven with all 3 pedal and I did not miss a beat. I hope to be able to teach my 4 year old when he is older.
2003 Ford F250 6.0 Diesel (Sold)
Reese Steadi-Flex (Sold)
DH, SWMBO, DS, & Dog
jpgale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 12:56 PM   #47

I enjoy driving manual trans to a point. I don't enjoy it on a daily driver, but it's fun on my "Fair weather toy" of a Jeep.

I've been looking at Gladiators as a potential "next" vehicle for me in a couple years when it's time to say goodbye to the Grand Cherokee. Been looking at manual transmission models. The more I think about driving a stick as a daily driver, the more I want to get it with an auto trans. My buddy says I've gone soft... He's probably right...

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 01:58 PM   #48

The first time I drove the truck and trailer was when we were camping( Paul Lake) with friends I had to take the husband to the hospital, he stayed there for a week, I had to hook up and drive it back to a friends house's,
The second time was on the coquihalla stopped at the snow shed rest stop, looked over and asked If I has driving down the hill. ( he was asleep snoring ) so I guess it me.
( I hate that Hill) I drove to Chilliwack.
Attached Thumbnails
camping 2015 038.jpg  
annie oakly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 05:06 PM   #49

Half the time my wife is asleep in the passenger seat lol. The one time she did drive (I've offered many times , we were checking in at campsite. There was a unit ahead of us, so I got out and went in, waited my turn, checked in and came out. She had moved the truck and TT forward 25ft. She was all smiles lol.
Johnnymailman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 06:06 PM   #50

Started backing boat trailers at 13, couldn't slide low enough in the seat to hide as my dad kept "attempting", had the courage to ask if I could try. Had been mowing with the riding mower since I was 10.(yes I'm old) It became my job in spring and fall to get the boat in & out of the river.
Married a city boy, taught him to drive my 4 on the floor, and he cut his teeth backing the tent trailers we started with then the trailers up to the WhiteHawk.
Now we have the Precept, his line is "I navigate, you drive" But in fairness I've been driving coaches and school buses for 16 years. I have so many hours and miles behind a large vehicle that I prefer it, I enjoy it. For him to drive something so big is a lot of concentration and awareness that he doesn't need to do. He works using a cell phone and laptop on another cell phone hot spot and directs me to the campground. Works for us.
Embrace what works and be happy campers.
Malu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 07:29 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDaddy6290 View Post
My wife doesn't even drive my truck on it's own. She never towed our TT a single foot, Including 3 round-trips from WA to MI in the last decade. This is one of the big reasons we now have a MH. She has promised to share the driving, but has yet (only been one month and 2 camping trips) to take the wheel.
LOL my wife's suckered me the same way! Has yet to drive it once
Dopalgangr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 09:19 PM   #52

So we have a plan, and put it In play over a couple years. Buy a new truck, she drives it to work cause I commute. Then we buy a trailer. Then we both share the driving on trips, she says I have no problem driving and towing the trailer. I do all the work the first couple of “Educational Trips”. Intentionally booked pull through sites cause we are newbies and really just trying to understand everything. Next trip is a back in, so I’m up for the challenge, NOT, it was a really tough site and took me 20 minutes to get it done. Next trip “back in” no room to maneuver, now I’m getting, you should let me back it in, I drive it every day to work and back it in. So on the way home I ask, you ready to drive? No that’s OK, your doing fine. So next trip, we are heading for a long stretch of CA desert, “you want to drive?” good place to get a feel for it. “No that’s OK...” I thought you were going to spell me sometimes? She replies, “your doing such a good job.” So we get to a back in site and I’m still a novice, I get it done after 15 adjustments, she comes up to me and says “you know I back this thing in everyday at work, why don’t you just let me take care of the campground stuff soon as your doing all the road work”

I booked a trip back to the park I struggled at, with a 15degree back up and swing the trailer in roughly 30 degrees with 3 trees helping guide you.

OK honey, your on, put it about 4’ from the hookups for me😀

To be continued......

Gone Fishing!
SIGPIC
Nathan S. is offline   Reply With Quote