Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-18-2020, 04:27 PM   #1

Sprinter maintenance cost

WE have a 2017 Melbourne on a Mercedes Sprinter chassis. Overall we like the motor home, but dealing with Mercedes regarding the airbag recall has been a nightmare. We live 4 hours from the closest Mercedes Sprinter dealer. Our recall repair has been postponed four times by Mercedes/and or the dealer. We finally were able to take the unit in this week. While having lunch at the local Cracker Barrel, I received a text from the dealer as follows: "Your instrument cluster indicates your vehicle is 2 days overdue for service,. We suggest Service B (oil change) $899.00, fuel filter $359.00,engine air filter $105.00, and replace the broken windshield nozzles $88.00. I replied "No thanks, just the airbag." We had driven a total of 287 miles since the last service which I performed myself (retired aircraft mechanic) using Mercedes approved lubricants and filters and documented the maintenance in the original maintenance booklet which was provided with the vehicle when it was new. In addition the unit has been stored inside in a climate controlled environment. It appears Mercedes has taken advantage of a questionable airbag recall to solicit over $2,000.00 of routine maintenance. And by the way, the windshield washer nozzles broke the first week we had the unit. I replaced them with a much improved version which has worked fine but apparently the Mercedes mechanic did not appreciate the improvement. If I ever buy another class C, it will be on an American made chassis.
RVJayhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 05:24 PM   #2

Looks like someone was trying to take you for a ride. Even if it did need all that stuff the prices seem very high. When you bought the filters and everything for the service you did were they really expensive?
Old 06-18-2020, 05:36 PM   #3

I don't have the receipt handy but it was less than $300.00 total. Everything including the oil was German, Mercedes approved, bought from an importer who specializes in German parts.
RVJayhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 05:39 PM   #4

I agree at those prices my next rig would not be a Mercedes.
Old 06-18-2020, 05:42 PM   #5

Unfortunately buying an American chassis may not help. My previous a daily driver was a Ford Fusion, I took it to the dealer near my work for a service (which was my habit for in warranty cars at the time) for the 30k oil change, the services really were not much more than that. They wanted to charge me something like $450 when I had asked for the $40 oil change on the phone booking the appointment. When I looked at the service writer like he was made and asked why so much for an oil change he said, we will change the oil, filter, air filter and cabin air filter for that. I refused that he said well we can do just the oil change for $40 but I don't recommend that. I told him to do it which they did. The cabin air filter took me about 45 mins (most of that figuring out how to get to it) and cost me about $15 and the biggest kicker is the engine air filter was on a 20k change cycle in the handbook so was not even due. Yes they wanted $410 to change a $15 part that the second time I did it took maybe 15 minutes tops. I have not had the service department do an oil change since then I will do it myself.
2003 Ford F250 6.0 Diesel (Sold)
Reese Steadi-Flex (Sold)
DH, SWMBO, DS, & Dog
jpgale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 07:40 PM   #6
Site Team

I just did an oil change in my Sprinter a few weeks ago. Total cost was just over $100 and that included using a MB filter and MB approved 229.52 spec Mobil 1 ESP.

For what it is worth, I still haven't been able to get the airbags replaced on mine. Every time I call to schedule they don't have the parts.
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 07:36 AM   #7

I have done an oil change for what Midnightmoon has but I usually get it done at the dealer. It is a business expense for the work Sprinter. "A" service is around $250 and "B" service is around $400. I will have to look but I believe the fuel filter change is around $200. All this in metro Atlanta with 4 MB and 1 Freightliner dealers to choose from. None close to me but still 5. When I buy parts I go to Freightliner and get them about 30% cheaper than MB parts dept. I let the salesman that I bought the work van from know and he checked with parts and no discounts. Funny thing is there is an Ebay seller that has basically the same address as the dealer and they sell at 20-30% cheaper than the MB dealer.
Air filter about $26
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
2016 Ford Focus set up to flat tow
Pfflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 08:03 AM   #8

If you are going to tackle this DIY I would recommend the Sprinter forum. https://sprinter-source.com/forums/index.php
There are things you need to know like the correct position of O-rings on the oil filter and the there is a seal at the base of the air filter housing that is recommended be replaced every time the filter housing is removed. If you change the fuel filter you will need to remove this housing. If you buy a fuel filter there are 2 different types. They cant tell on my 2 Sprinters by the VIN which one it uses. So you will either need to bring in the old one, bring the Sprinter and they will look or take a picture of the top.
The following pliers will make the job easier to remove the hose clamps.
Remember there is like 13 qts of oil so you will need a bigger container than what you would use for a car. You could also use a fluid extractor like the following. Still not big enough to hold all the oil but it will cut off when full then you flip a switch and drain the extractor and then suck the rest out. I pulled the plug the first time to see what was left in the pan and there was only drops.
https://www.amazon.com/Mityvac-7201-...s%2C157&sr=8-3

This isn't like doing an oil change on my cars in my youth but it is doable.
2016 Ford Focus set up to flat tow
Pfflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 05:56 AM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfflyer View Post
I have done an oil change for what Midnightmoon has but I usually get it done at the dealer. It is a business expense for the work Sprinter. "A" service is around $250 and "B" service is around $400. I will have to look but I believe the fuel filter change is around $200. All this in metro Atlanta with 4 MB and 1 Freightliner dealers to choose from. None close to me but still 5. When I buy parts I go to Freightliner and get them about 30% cheaper than MB parts dept. I let the salesman that I bought the work van from know and he checked with parts and no discounts. Funny thing is there is an Ebay seller that has basically the same address as the dealer and they sell at 20-30% cheaper than the MB dealer.
Air filter about $26
I have found the same thing with MB parts departments. We only have one Sprinter certified dealer in this area of our state and they are not willing to discount at all off of MSRP. The Freightliner dealers are much more economical.

On a side note, I buy a lot of my Cummins parts from Freightliner also. Since that B series engine is in everything from school busses to motor homes, they stock nearly every engine related part. Much cheaper than going directly through Cummins or the Dodge dealer.
Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 12:41 AM   #10

I just did a service on a Peterbilt semi today cummins fleetguard oil and fuel filters 11 gallons rotella oil for a cost to the customer of 659 dollars. I think who ever serviced your unit overcharges.
Old 06-23-2020, 06:18 AM   #11

When we quit full timing we looked hard at the MB option. After careful review and seeing how large of the country had no service dealers we bought a class c on the ford f450 chassis’s. No regrets. Simple repairs and parts available everywhere. Also really like the extra space we get in this size class c. Good luck with future repairs.

Enjoy the journey
Trapper2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 07:55 AM   #12
Site Team

I have steered myself away from dealers for most routine maintenance. They soak you and talk to you like you have never owned a car and are helpless without them. Ha!
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote