Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-21-2018, 08:30 AM   #1

sputtering faucet

My kitchen faucet was sputtering and the water pump was cycling and chattering like crazy. Took off the aerator and everything looked ok. Didn't see any dirt or debris at all. Thinking maybe faucet problems, pump problems or kinked hose problems.

Instead I went to Home depot and bought a new aerator for $4.00 and put it in. What a difference, the water flows smooth and no pump chattering. I guess there was dirt or buildup in the old aerator that I couldn't see.

Morale of the story: If your faucet acts up, you probably should just get a new aerator.
bobm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 09:25 PM   #2

Bob, there is also a filter right by your water pump. It is a screen filter inline with the inlet connection. Be sure to keep that clean also.

I use a removable filter on my outside water hose. Never run water into my rv without it. It traps all the junk that the rv parks pump out of their wells which gets into your lines and plugs stuff up.

You can attach these filters to your water hose. Wallmart sells them in packages of 2. I don't leave home without a fresh one. Cheap insurance!
cabinetmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 05:36 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabinetmaker View Post
Bob, there is also a filter right by your water pump. It is a screen filter inline with the inlet connection. Be sure to keep that clean also.

I use a removable filter on my outside water hose. Never run water into my rv without it. It traps all the junk that the rv parks pump out of their wells which gets into your lines and plugs stuff up.

You can attach these filters to your water hose. Wallmart sells them in packages of 2. I don't leave home without a fresh one. Cheap insurance!
Yes I always use the blue filter whenever I use park water.
Old 06-22-2018, 06:23 AM   #4

I also noted that while the water was coming out full and smooth, it seemed like every couple of seconds it would pulse. It seemed like the pump was taking a breath and then resuming.

Turns out the shurflo pump was needing an adjustment. Used an allen wrench to turn the adjuster 1/4 turn clockwise and the hesitation stopped. Now when I turn on the water, the flow is steady and the pump runs without hesitation.
Old 06-28-2018, 07:20 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabinetmaker View Post

Cabinetmaker...what about your whole house water filter under the sink in the bathroom? Do you use the blue in-line filter and the house filter? And, before I start going places I shouldn't, where is the 12 volt water pump in your 29MVP? I want to check the screen filter on mine. Thanks!

Ed

Love To Travel 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 11:04 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love To Travel 2 View Post
Cabinetmaker...what about your whole house water filter under the sink in the bathroom? Do you use the blue in-line filter and the house filter? And, before I start going places I shouldn't, where is the 12 volt water pump in your 29MVP? I want to check the screen filter on mine. Thanks!

Ed
Ed, the water pump is under the bed. Raise the bed up and you will see a removable panel...pump is there.

No, I do not use the filter under the bathroom vanity installed by Jayco. I refuse to pay the high price for those filters and stand on my head to install or remove. The hose filters I use filters everything well enough coming in so that we don't get contamination in our lines or tanks. For drinking water we use a portable powered water filter that sits on the counter and filters our drinking water and for coffee and tea. Got that at Costco. Have one in stick house also. Works great and you really can taste a difference in clean water.
Attached Thumbnails
1188B970-14C0-4474-98A3-B592AF324FF7.jpg   05BE1A39-5BD5-4B39-B140-00248F58EC2F.jpg  
cabinetmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 11:57 AM   #7

Help - similar issue I guess....we have removed the aerator but didn't help. Turning on the kitchen faucet full force gets a trickle and a pound knocking sound. This just started the last couple of weeks - we have a Jayco Envoy about 1 1/2 years old. The water pump is not under the bed but didn't know if the pump filter would be clogged and causing this. We do have a filter under the bathroom sink but it is a recent change. Hubs seems to think it's the faucet and has plans to change when we get home - but for the next 3-4 weeks will have knocking sound and restricted water flow in kitchen. No issue in bathroom or shower. TIA
Flounder67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 12:03 PM   #8

Is it possible that the pump requires a certain amount of back-pressure, and removing the aerator increases the flow to the point where the pump can't "keep up" ?

Jay Feather 19XUD, pushing a Jeep Grand Cherokee
WeRJuliian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 05:33 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeRJuliian View Post
Is it possible that the pump requires a certain amount of back-pressure, and removing the aerator increases the flow to the point where the pump can't "keep up" ?
But we aren't using the pump? We are using city water....
Flounder67 is offline   Reply With Quote