Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-08-2023, 05:46 PM   #1

Squeaky Wheels

Hi,

I have this strange squeaky noise from the wheels (I believe) that I can't track down. It is loud after first driving the RV from sitting for a few days. But after a 30mins or so of driving it calms down, but is still noticable. I thought it was the hub caps, took those off today, no difference. Are there bearings in there that can be greased? Or, a lubrication point (2019 Greyhawk 26y), or any ideas on what else to check. It definitely is related to the wheels, cause when I stop it goes away!

Thanks!
DnTmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2023, 05:56 PM   #2

Have you checked your wheel bearings?
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2023, 06:07 PM   #3

No. Was curious about that. Is that easy to do?
Old 04-08-2023, 06:17 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DnTmor View Post
No. Was curious about that. Is that easy to do?
If you've never repacked wheel bearings before I would take it to a mechanic.
Old 04-08-2023, 06:21 PM   #5
Site Team

You might jack the front wheels off the ground one at a time, spin the wheel and see if you can isolate it to one of the wheels. Disc brake pads can squeal or something rubbing on a tire. Disc brake squeal (or squeak) could be a sticky caliper or surface rust on the rotor. Most disc noise is from the pad backing plate vibrating on the caliper piston.

If it's not in the front, park on a level surface, chock both front wheels, and with the transmission in neutral, spin the rears one side at a time.

Also check the tire pressures on the rear duals. A low tire will rub the sidewall with its mate, and squeal too. As you drive and the tires heat up, the tire pressure increases and may inflate a low one enough to stop the sidewall rubbing. Just some thoughts, and be very safe in what you do.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2023, 07:25 PM   #6

I have in other vehicles, just wasn't aware on the Greyhawk. I'm fairly mechanical and can do most things on my own. I'm just not familiar on the Greyhawk yet.
Old 04-08-2023, 07:28 PM   #7

Thanks! I did Jack up the driver's side today as I think I have a bad ball joint on the driver's side left. This all sounds like it's coming from the passenger side of the RV which makes it a little harder to identify.
Old 04-08-2023, 07:33 PM   #8

How many miles do you have on it? One reason could be the brake rotors getting a little rust on them when parked. If that is the case, the noise will go away after braking a few times and will not re-occur until the RV has sat for a few days. ~CA
Old 04-08-2023, 07:58 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
If you've never repacked wheel bearings before I would take it to a mechanic.
X2ó I would have it checked sooner rather than later. If you lose a bearing ( break or freeze up ) it can get pretty expensive real quick.
1984 gmc k1500 4x4 s/w/b. s/b 350,700r4,373 diff,.restored and upgraded( retired - sold). 2022 Chevy Z-71 Trail Boss 4x4 crew cab s/w/b 6.2 gas a/t. 2018 hummingbird Baja 16mrb,Yamaha ef2400ishc inverter.
Happy wife / happy life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2023, 08:11 PM   #10

About 9k Miles
Old 04-08-2023, 08:14 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by DnTmor View Post
About 9k Miles
Check your owner's manual to be sure, but the bearings do not need service until about 60,000 miles. I suspect it is a light rust on the brake rotor. Next time it does that, ride your brakes for about 10 seconds and listen to determine if the sound goes away. ~CA
Old 04-08-2023, 08:15 PM   #12

I'll need to check this. It's been going on for a few years now. It's just annoying and I'd like to fix it. I think it happened a few years ago after an initial alignment, and I was told it was the hub cap. I never investigated until now. Just want to figure it out once and for all.
Old 04-08-2023, 09:59 PM   #13

Could it be the wheel might be out of balance and bouncing down the road making your sway bar bushings squeak? Just a thought.
jyh818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2023, 10:15 PM   #14

It's not unusual for disk brakes to squeak for a short time after sitting.

1) When sitting, a small amount of rust/oxidation will form on the rotors. The squeak can be from the pads wearing off the rust/oxidation.
2) Even when sitting, and not in use, the pads are still making slight contact with the rotor. This also causes the pads to "stick" to the rotor and results in a small amount of squeaking. Especially with "high mileage" (that is, guaranteed for many miles or "lifetime"). These pads are made of very hard material and are prone to squeaking and take longer to "warm up."

There can be other causes but as long as the squeak goes away after a short period of time, nothing to worry about.

Cheap fix: replace the brake pads.

I have a Mazda MX-5 with 4-wheel disk brakes and high-performance pads. Since it is my 3rd vehicle, it does not get a lot of use. This morning when I backed it out of the garage after sitting for a couple of weeks, they squealed.

Feeling better now? At only 9k miles, wheel bearings would be the last thing I would worry about.

I think craigav has this one right.
Main purpose of Jayco is for camping at racetracks.
I am a volunteer corner worker for Sports Car Club of America.
SmokeyBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2023, 07:07 AM   #15

Thanks all! Great suggestions to try. I will continue my troubleshooting and post up soon!
Old 04-15-2023, 02:18 PM   #16

Did anyone mention checking the lugnut torque?
GaryDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2023, 10:23 AM   #17

Something else to check is the exhaust. Had a squeak on our Greyhawk, only hear it when driving and I found it was the exhaust rubbing against a heat shield. It was where the pipe passes over the rear axle.
Smitty814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2023, 08:34 PM   #18

Good idea. Will check it. Took her out this weekend and still doing it. Took off front wheels, blew out all dust, etc. Set torque, no luck. Will try on the rear. Seems to start making the noise strangely enough after 15mph, then gets quiet after 20 mins of driving.
Old 04-25-2023, 08:37 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty814 View Post
Something else to check is the exhaust. Had a squeak on our Greyhawk, only hear it when driving and I found it was the exhaust rubbing against a heat shield. It was where the pipe passes over the rear axle.
Will check this too! This is more annoying than anything but now on a mission to track this down. May try a go-pro video or something to get closer. I mentioned earlier it starts around 15mph.. But neither wife or I can run that fast.. Lol
Old 05-21-2023, 08:42 PM   #20

Squeaking Hubcaps!

This will sound crazy but it's true. My 29MV Greyhawk front left tire was squeaking and I remembered about 15 years ago I had a minivan that I took to the dealer service for a similar problem. The dealer replaced the hubcap to fix it and I didn't believe it until I saw it worked. On my RV, I took off the hubcap and made sure it was not bent and ensured the air valve hole was properly lined up and it was snugly installed. WaLa! No more squeak!
symonsq is offline   Reply With Quote