Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-09-2017, 07:08 PM   #1

Stairs extend when motor is running

I have a 2013 Greyhawk 31 DS. I have an issue with my stairs, when I start the engine the stairs will extend out and stay out. In trouble shooting it there is a yellow wire that comes from the engine compartment and should have 12 volts on it when the engine is on, which it does. the yellow wire goes to a control module under the step. Has anyone had any issue with this control module or had this same problem to resolve??? Thanks for your help. Jon
Bikingjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 10:43 PM   #2

do they operate normally with motor off as in opening and closing the door? If not either a bad motor or module if you have 12v to module or a blown fuse. I had mine quit once stayed out like yours dog had knocked off the magnet on the door jamb, I replaced the magnet with one from a window security alarm magnet.
che57vy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 09:48 AM   #3

Normal operation except when motor is running

The steps work normally when the motor is off. Extend when door is opened retract when it closes. Off switch keeps them extended. The only issue is they extend when the motor is on.
Old 11-10-2017, 10:12 AM   #4

Steps

Do they retract when the door closes with the engine running? Or just extend on their own with the door closed and the engine running.
My steps will extend with the engine running only if I open the door and then retract with the door closing.
If the steps are extended and the engine off-when the engine starts the steps retract.
I'm starting to confuse myself. In short steps can be out with the engine running but only if the door is open.

BullDozerBob
BullDozerBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 02:29 PM   #5

They just extend with the door closed and the engine running. If I shut the engine off they retract.
Old 11-10-2017, 03:20 PM   #6

Sounds like the step control module is a bit confused. It would be the most likely problem. Unfortunately the only way to troubleshoot it is to replace it.
Old 11-10-2017, 07:04 PM   #7

You may try removing all power to module wait a few minutes and power it back up it may reset like re booting a computer
che57vy is offline   Reply With Quote