Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-04-2022, 12:14 PM   #1

Starting Genny w/o battery

I have a 2002 Jayco 3150 Class C. My house battery is pulled for Winter storage, but I want to run the genny just for exercise ( keep seals and cylinders lubed. etc). What is the best approach to start it without humping out that huge house battery? It is a 4000k/w Onan.

Thanks in advance for advice!
Barham56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2022, 01:13 PM   #2

Booster pack!
Ttlanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 07:29 AM   #3

re booster pack

I don't have one, but I have been thinking about the purchase.So I would just clip the booster pack to the Genny lead where the battery would be, if I hadn't pulled it, and the ground wire and start the genny?

Any advice on an adequate booster pack ( Say one that would start the Ford 450 V-10 gas motor)

Thanks
Old 01-05-2022, 10:54 AM   #4

I've got a JNC660. I've had it for all of 10 years and maybe closer to 15. I've used it to power my trailer I the winter to open slide(s), raise landing gear, etc.. I mainly bought it as a just in case when I was snowmobiling in extreme cold and my 5.9 Cummins didnt want to roll over. I did have to use it once in that situation. -15F outside normal temp and It wouldnt even think of trying to roll over. Didnt take long to figure out I had a bad battery. I disconnected that one and the other was just a bit too weak from all the screwing around i was doing. I connected my pack to the disconnected bad battery leads and It lit.
Old 01-05-2022, 01:56 PM   #5

I've never pulled the house battery but on mine the chassis battery does send power to the coach and the generator. I'm guessing you need some sort of battery/resistance back in the house battery circuit to make things work.

I too would try an inexpensive jump pack. Just hook the jumper cables up to the house battery leads.

There's probably some way to hook a jump back directly up to the generator, but I have no idea where the leads terminate on the genset
Old 01-05-2022, 03:20 PM   #6

carry a battery and hook it up...

i don't exercise mine for 6 months... and have had no trouble in 11 years... same with motorcycles, boats mowers etc....
curver900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 06:31 AM   #7

Thanks,
I'm going to pull the cover off the old girl this weekend and pop the battery back in. I'm sure the genny will fire up. The owners manual was where I got the suggestion to run it for an extended period at least once a month.
Old 03-24-2022, 07:35 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barham56 View Post
Thanks,
I'm going to pull the cover off the old girl this weekend and pop the battery back in. I'm sure the genny will fire up. The owners manual was where I got the suggestion to run it for an extended period at least once a month.
You read the manual so I'm sure you know but in case someone new sees this and doesn't bother to read the manual you need to run it with a load. My diesel generator requires 1/2 load for 2 hours a month with a warm up and cool down period. Gas and propane may be different. Point being, read your manuals.
2016 Ford Focus set up to flat tow
Pfflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 10:32 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barham56 View Post
Any advice on an adequate booster pack ( Say one that would start the Ford 450 V-10 gas motor)
I use this one and it does start my Ford V-10. https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...e?ie=UTF8&th=1

Good thing to have on hand even when your battery is installed. Since I installed a DC-DC charger for my Lithium house batteries, I gave up the functionality of using the house battery to boost the chassis if needed. This is my backup plan.
Old 03-25-2022, 07:48 AM   #10

Yeah, I'm often that ignore the manual guy. But with RV electrical systems that is not the case! Too many squirrelly variables involved to just let problems happen that can be avoided.
Old 03-25-2022, 09:00 AM   #11
CAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvspl View Post
I use this one and it does start my Ford V-10. https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...e?ie=UTF8&th=1

Good thing to have on hand even when your battery is installed. Since I installed a DC-DC charger for my Lithium house batteries, I gave up the functionality of using the house battery to boost the chassis if needed. This is my backup plan.
I have a similar and boy will it do the job, several times when necessary. Small and powerful.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2022, 05:30 PM   #12

yea, these new ones are the size of a portable hard drive (or smaller)...seems too easy not to keep one around.

Tags
generators, genny, onan