Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-20-2016, 07:49 PM   #11

Am I missing something here? I keep reading statements by contributors on various forums, that by adjusting the tension on the Helwig springs the “weight distribution will be moved forward”. I have not read this in any of Helwigs’ installation material. My understanding is the springs are only an assist to the vehicles main springs by firming the vertical force on the rear axle helping to eliminate sway, unlike the horizontal force provided by trailer weight distributing torsion bars.
Unable to confirm my hypotheses at this time I’ll be weighing my Redhawk 26XD prior to adjustment and again after. I’ll let you know the results.

brandysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 08:28 PM   #12

I had planned on adjusting mine, but if it throws more weight forward I do not dare. The front axle on a 31FK is close to the max allowed weight anyway. When I ran ours across a CAT scale in April the front axle had only 60 lbs. of leeway while the rear had over 400 lbs. of slack.

Please do follow up with your findings. Thanks.

2014 Greyhawk 31FK
2007 Honda Shadow Sabre 1100cc
NC Roamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 02:12 PM   #13

Well, I'm having the safe-t-plus system installed oo the Greyhawk in a few weeks after adjusting the Hellwigs, and an alignment.
I'll keep y'all advised on the anticipated improvement.
1 Shizu, 1 Havanese
Dreamgolfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 03:07 PM   #14

Weight Challenges

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC Roamer View Post
I had planned on adjusting mine, but if it throws more weight forward I do not dare. The front axle on a 31FK is close to the max allowed weight anyway. When I ran ours across a CAT scale in April the front axle had only 60 lbs. of leeway while the rear had over 400 lbs. of slack.

Please do follow up with your findings. Thanks.
Just came from the CATS myself... I was a full 5000 on the fronts which is my max and overweight on the rears by 400 lbs... Now I did have 5 adults and the dog on board which did not help. But looks like I need to re-evaluate some of my gear.... I can't really think of anywhere that I have hundreds of pounds to shed.

Griswald One - Life is a Misadventure!
2015 Greyhawk 29ME / Chevy Sonic
Griswald One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 11:17 AM   #15

Weight Distribution

So I spent Sunday playing with the distribution of weight on my rig and then drove 300 miles to Detroit. What a difference.

I removed a few items that I really did not need. Probably no more then a 100 pounds. But those items freed up some forward holds so I picked two of my heaviest items, 100ft of 30amp cables and my tools and moved them from the back hold into forward storage.

Taking into account the effect of a fulcrum, by moving 100lbs from the furthest point back to a spot between the axels I made a significant shift in my weight distribution. I have not gone back to the scales and weighed the difference, but I can tell you the driving improvement was huge. I now feel far more grounded and steering is much tighter.

This was a free "mod" and the impact was invaluable.

Griswald One - Life is a Misadventure!
2015 Greyhawk 29ME / Chevy Sonic
Griswald One is offline   Reply With Quote