Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-23-2017, 10:51 AM   #1

Step ladder for overhead area?

We need some kind of ladder to get up into the overhead area on our redhawk 29xk. Is there one that is available for that use? Or do you have to get a ladder of some kind and adapt it to it?
GForce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 11:51 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by GForce View Post
We need some kind of ladder to get up into the overhead area on our redhawk 29xk. Is there one that is available for that use? Or do you have to get a ladder of some kind and adapt it to it?
Our Greyhawk came with one, and there was a thread recently about it. What I don't recall is whether or not all Jaycos with the overhead cab bunk are *supposed* to come with one.

I think the jury was still out on that one.

What was discussed was:
- the Jayco one is pretty minimal and very uncomfortable
- many folks replaced their Jayco one with a small portable ladder
Old 10-23-2017, 12:23 PM   #3

we will have to contact our dealer on this. The universal bunk ladder wont work as there is not a place to hook the ladder onto. It will have to be a jayco ladder just for the hawks.
GForce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 04:16 PM   #4

I bought a Top Line (BL200-07) Docking System Bunk Ladder at Amazon for my Redhawk 29XK.

elcheapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 06:29 AM   #5

I measured the height and went to Menard's, a Midwest big box store. Tried them out in the store and then tried out in Seneca with the idea I might have to take it back. Works great and stores on bunk when not in use.
2016 Jayco Seneca 37FS
2016 Chevrolet Traverse
2018 Cheverolet Silverado
rgolding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 10:51 AM   #6

One guy on here got a one sided Louisville ladder on Amazon and added a small metal extension on it to bend over the hooks. You can order the Louisville ladders in one foot increments. Worked well for him. The rungs on the stock Jayco ladder really hurt the feet of an adult. Not enough support.
t18skyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 05:52 PM   #7

Redhawk bunk ladder

When we bought our new 2016 Redhawk 26x1 we were told that the Redhawk models do not come with a bunk ladder. We asked how we were supposed to get up into the bunk and they had no good answer. We told them if they wanted us to buy the rv they needed to provide a bunk ladder which they did. Not sure which one they put in but the two pins were attached to the bunk and the ladder just slides into those to keep stable.
Teacherspet85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 10:59 PM   #8

Seems like the new units they are moving away with supplying a ladder. The best Best is measuring and mounting yourseld
Try2paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 12:01 PM   #9

for what it is worth, our Jayco 31DS came with a bunk ladder. So Jayco does supply them in some instances. However, I have used a kitchen 3 step step-ladder to get up in the bunk on other occasions.

2013 Jayco Greyhawk 31DS
2002 Honda Accord towed, ACME tow dolly
Northwest Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 12:15 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by t18skyguy View Post
One guy on here got a one sided Louisville ladder on Amazon and added a small metal extension on it to bend over the hooks. You can order the Louisville ladders in one foot increments. Worked well for him. The rungs on the stock Jayco ladder really hurt the feet of an adult. Not enough support.
It might have been me!
After riviting on the hook adapters I painted the ladder in black texture paint,. I thought I might need to carpet the steps, but the grandsons said it was fine as is. The wider treads make all the difference.
Attached Thumbnails
20161007_141859.jpg   20170508_141053.jpg   20161007_142433.jpg  
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 02:59 AM   #11

I have the same dilemma, no ladders for the Redhawks. Helps keep the price down, lol.
JaytheDJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 03:30 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbbyr View Post
It might have been me!
After riviting on the hook adapters I painted the ladder in black texture paint,. I thought I might need to carpet the steps, but the grandsons said it was fine as is. The wider treads make all the difference.
No sarcasm intended here... Is there anything that you have not modified / improved on your Seneca???
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 06:52 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloPoke View Post
No sarcasm intended here... Is there anything that you have not modified / improved on your Seneca???
My engine is stock.......for now!

Some folks are serial criminals, I guess I am a serial modifier!
Old 04-16-2018, 11:07 PM   #14

Quote:
It might have been me!
Hey @Robbbyr. Will you post info on where you got your ladder. That is exactly what I need for my Seneca. Thanks in advance.
TurnedTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 08:59 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnedTwo View Post
Hey @Robbbyr. Will you post info on where you got your ladder. That is exactly what I need for my Seneca. Thanks in advance.
I purchased a 4' shelf ladder from Amazon, here is a link: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Then I fabricated the adapter ends from mild steel, heating and bending the ends into hooks to slip over the brackets Jayco had installed on the bunk for the flimsy ladder supplied with the unit. I used black Plasti Dip from Home Depot to coat the hook ends on my adapters so they would not mar the bunk brackets, here is a link to that product: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Plasti-D...03-6/202196703

Then on the new ladder I removed the rivets that held on the top rubber bumpers and substituted my adapters using the original holes in the ladder and new rivets. You can see this rubber piece and the rivets on the Amazon site in the second picture. Lastly I fabricated and added another bunk bracket and attached it to the bunk to the right of the original two so I could have the ladder properly hooked when traveling. The large driver's side slide is in the way when pulled in and I needed a way for the grandsons to get up and down from the bunk when the slide is in and have the ladder held securely. It works great!

Attached is a picture of the ladder completed and painted, but in the picture I had not (yet) added the third hook to shift the ladder to the right. The wide treads make for easy and comfortable climbing and the ladder is rock solid.
Attached Thumbnails
New ladder.jpg  
Old 04-19-2019, 08:37 PM   #16

Quote:
I purchased a 4' shelf ladder from Amazon.
Then on the new ladder I removed the rivets that held on the top rubber bumpers and substituted my adapters using the original holes in the ladder and new rivets. You can see this rubber piece and the rivets on the Amazon site in the second picture. Lastly I fabricated and added another bunk bracket and attached it to the bunk to the right of the original two so I could have the ladder properly hooked when traveling. The large driver's side slide is in the way when pulled in and I needed a way for the grandsons to get up and down from the bunk when the slide is in and have the ladder held securely. It works great!

The wide treads make for easy and comfortable climbing and the ladder is rock solid.

I like the ladder you chose. I've been thinking of getting a 5' one and cut the top rung out. That would leave rails to use as handles. But they also might get in the way of accessing the ladder. Thoughts???

Thank in Advance.
Old 04-19-2019, 09:40 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumbleweed44 View Post
I like the ladder you chose. I've been thinking of getting a 5' one and cut the top rung out. That would leave rails to use as handles. But they also might get in the way of accessing the ladder. Thoughts???

Thank in Advance.
I don't see any reason the ladder wouldn't still be very stable even with a tread rung removed.

However saying that, it wouldn't work well for us having the beams stick up higher than the edge of the bunk. Depending on what travelers we have with us, sometimes it is one of the grandsons sleeping up there. Other trips it is me, or sometimes the wife and I both. But all of us who do sleep up there get down out of the bunk the same way; swiveling our legs around over the edge and descending the ladder like we would a set of steps facing the rear of the coach. If the beams stuck up above the edge, it would make that method more difficult. But that is just us, others likely do it another way.

Again, I think the ladder modified that way would be sturdy and it might be helpful if one always ascended and descended the ladder facing it. And the beams sticking up above the edge would help keep someone from rolling off if that is a concern.

Just my thoughts!