Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-28-2019, 07:37 PM   #1

Step won’t retract

I have a 2019 Redhawk 22J. Today the step won’t retract. I don’t hear the motor attempting to move the step. I think the magnet is still in place. Any suggestions? TIA
Bobm49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 08:03 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobm49 View Post
I have a 2019 Redhawk 22J. Today the step won’t retract. I don’t hear the motor attempting to move the step. I think the magnet is still in place. Any suggestions? TIA
On my current and last several units if I started the chassis engine they would also retract. Designed that way to protect us from ourselves I guess. Might try that to see if they come in and then you can rule out the motor and focus on the controls.
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 08:17 PM   #3

Crawl under and see if there is a fuse holder in the wiring to the motor, this is usually the location of the fuse....I would start there.

Rustynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 08:23 PM   #4
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Start with the basics... is the switch for the step on the sink cabinet turned off?

It should go in and out with the closing of the screen door. Make absolutely sure the magnet is in place.

Check fuse under the step.

Like the above poster said, start the engine, it should retract.

Give it a little lift with your hand when closing the door to check if it got hung up or stuck.
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 09:30 PM   #5

My recent step failure had me running through extensive trouble shooting and ultimately after checking all the above and then some, the motor had failed.

A quick easy check to see if it is your motor is to rig a jumper (a positive wire and a negative wire) directly to the motor (two wire plug goes from controller to the motor. Unplug at the motor). Use a 12V battery and touch wires one direction then the other. If steps run both directions using this test, you know the motor is fine.

When I talked to Kwikee tech support guy, he said 80% or more of all step failures are the motor (I am sure he grabbed the statistic out of mid air), and in my case he was right. My point is...if it is a high failure rate item, eliminate that first.
jd99336 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 08:23 AM   #6

If all else fails you'll need to disconnect the motor's gear box from the step and retract the steps by hand, securing the steps for travel with rope or whatever you have on hand.
Crossingover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 08:38 AM   #7

Seems odd the motor would fail on a brand new unit, but anything is possible. When we bought our Greyhawk new in 2009, the steps worked fine, but after a few weeks, they started acting up. The steps would always extend when we opened the door, but they wouldn't always retract, even after the engine was started. The dealer we took it to, told us the control board was not wired properly and that is what caused the issue. We had a few other electric problems with the cab, like the mirrors would not move with the switch. There was something else too, but I forget. After the steps were properly wired, everything else in the cab started to work properly as well.

If you can rule out the motor, it's a quick and easy troubleshoot. It is also an easy fix for under $100. May or may not be worth it to do it yourself instead of waiting for the dealer. If the motor works, then probably best to take it to the dealer.

-Michael
michael.g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 11:01 AM   #8

Thank you all for your responses. I checked the fuse, it tested ok. I replaced it anyway with no progress. I called Jayco customer service, while they were very nice, they told me to try what you folks already suggested. I am going to remove the cotter pin and manually retract the step and secure it. At least I can still use the MH until I get it in for repair in September.
Bobm49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 05:09 PM   #9

Quote:
My Greyhawk did that. I oiled all the moving parts of the steps and gave it a push to assist it in closing. Also started the engine and it went back up. Works fine now.
1SGPETE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 09:51 PM   #10

Keep in mind that if steps are hard up or down, the arm will be under tension(this is how controller knows to stop). After beating on the pin with vice grips and hammer, I followed sage advice here and just undid the three bolts holding the motor in place and it came loose easy. Don't worry about alignment as there really isn't any. It is all based on the motor stopping when it hits resistance. At least on my Kwikee steps
jd99336 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 07:07 PM   #11

ayco Redhawk 26 xd: steps recently stopped midway. with help, went in and grinding noise occurred. Repair shop says gear teeth broke and motor burned out. Saw great prices on Amazon for motor and gear, but repair shop says Kwickee recommended "upgrade" and with install labor this is now costing me $695. 6 months out of 2 year warranty, yet if Kwiskee is recommending the upgrade, then shouldn't the costs be borne by them, knowing the OEM was not ?adequate?.....or am I just getting screwed?
Old 08-27-2019, 07:16 PM   #12

My steps worked reliably until yesterday. Wouldn't extend when I opened the door.
I helped it with my foot and it worked. I lubricated all the pivot points. Now it works perfectly.

If the steps are binding, the motor draws too much current and the control board shuts it off.
2000 Jeep Sahara

"Any advice I give or facts I present are valid to the best of my knowledge,
but I am not responsible if you follow it and you **** your **** up."
Bullitt6283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 09:28 PM   #13

I installed a new step motor last week. Mine just gave out all of a sudden with a grinding noise. Purchased one on Amazon for $76.39. Took about 25 minutes to install. Good lubrication at all the pivot points is required to allow steps to move freely, and never step on them before they are fully extended.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Blue Ox Baseplate w/Aventa LX Tow Bar & KarGard II Deflector
Blue Ox Patriot Brake
tom463219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 12:51 PM   #14

i have a 2109 greyhawk 30z only used it 3 times now for camping, while getting ready for our last trip the steps stopped working! lucky they were in and not out! I called the rv that does my service on this rig (which has been there four times in the last year) and he walked me through most of these steps you are all saying. none of them worked. i then proceeded to take the motor down from its mount and twist the gear back a bit and put it back on and bam it worked didnt look like the gears were stripped at all maybe just overheated from continual use the day before going in and out
if you want to try this you will need to pull the pin and release the step like stated before but dont be under it when they retract or extend bad things will happen. Hope this helps your situation
donfiori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 09:12 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by JudyB View Post
ayco Redhawk 26 xd: steps recently stopped midway. with help, went in and grinding noise occurred. Repair shop says gear teeth broke and motor burned out. Saw great prices on Amazon for motor and gear, but repair shop says Kwickee recommended "upgrade" and with install labor this is now costing me $695. 6 months out of 2 year warranty, yet if Kwiskee is recommending the upgrade, then shouldn't the costs be borne by them, knowing the OEM was not ?adequate?.....or am I just getting screwed?

Check out the most recent "RV With Tito" Youtube.
He's got the exact same problem.

I followed the Youtube videos to replace our motor, easy-peasy and $70.
Not $700.

Your steps could burn out 9 more times and you'd still be ahead.
Old 08-29-2019, 09:01 PM   #16

Something that was said reminded me of my working days. There is a torque/current setting on the control board. If for some reason that current setting is reached the control board will shut down the motor.

To reset the board you need to power it down. Pull both the ground wire and power wire loose. This drains the capacitors and resets the board.

Ender on the road is offline   Reply With Quote