Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-06-2018, 02:53 PM   #1

Steps don't work

2013 Jayco Greyhawk Motorhome steps were working fine. Drove to campsite and hooked up.....now steps won't turn on. Any suggestions?
GrammyLinda55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 04:08 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by LFregoso View Post
2013 Jayco Greyhawk Motorhome steps were working fine. Drove to campsite and hooked up.....now steps won't turn on. Any suggestions?
Wiring ok? Look under the steps at the wiring as there are grounds there that might be bad or check for fuses blown and or loose connections.

On the screen door there is a magnet switch that works the steps and can cause this if not making contact. Also be sure the step switch on the wall inside the door is on.
cabinetmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 04:40 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by LFregoso View Post
My GH steps wont work if the ignition switch is on.
Mine has a step switch inside the entry door too.
Is the main circuit breaker switch on?
in the wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 05:17 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by in the wind View Post
My GH steps wont work if the ignition switch is on.
Mine has a step switch inside the entry door too.
Is the main circuit breaker switch on?
Steps should retract when ignition is on...but if you open the door to the motorhome the steps will come out even with the ignition on or engine running.
cabinetmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 07:29 AM   #5

Steps not working

Thank you for your responses regarding our steps not working. This is my 1st attempt in this forum and not quite sure how to respond to each response.

The steps are still not working

My husband checked the wiring and said it appears to be ok
Fuses look ok
Step switch is on
Ignition was off, but he turned it on and the steps still won't go on
Main circuit breaker switch is on

Thank you for your responses..... we'll take it in and have it repaired and I'll post on here what it was.

Thank you all again for your help.
Old 08-07-2018, 07:38 AM   #6

There may be a glass barrel fuse right by the steps. Check that, but be careful since steps could extend right away.
Old 08-11-2018, 06:02 PM   #7

I had a similar problem. Apparently the controls for the step motor work on current draw. in other works when the motor stops the power is cut off. sometimes the motor gets jammed and is shut off by the controls. I fixed mine by tapping with a hammer a few times! It un-jammed the motor and it works without problem now.
mcole9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 08:30 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcole9 View Post
I fixed mine by tapping with a hammer a few times! It un-jammed the motor and it works without problem now.
Same story with the steps on my '14 32FS. They quit working and after I verified all of the wires and fuses were OK I removed the motor to replace it. As soon as I turned the motor shaft by hand on the bench it started working again, and has worked for several months now.
I believe that the motor wears enough to have a small short (of carbon?) across the armature. Clearing that short made the motor nearly good as new. Of course, I still have a new motor ready to install when this happens again...
Scoutmaster253 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 08:56 PM   #9

I have a 2018 Greyhawk with Kwikee steps. They started to work intermittently and then quit. I called Kwikee and they sent me a test procedure and the final result was a defective motor. They sent me a new motor as I am still under warranty and I installed it myself.
captjohnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 06:03 PM   #10

I have a 2016 Alante 26AX with Kwikee 32 series steps. The steps stopped working during the trip I just returned from. The steps are free to move in/out when pushed. I tied them up to travel. I can hear the motor running when I open/close the door but the steps do not move, they are just free float. I have removed the motor and gear box assembly from the motorhome and removed the motor from the gear box. Looking at the gears when moving the actuating arm, all of the gear looks good, no missing or damaged teeth. I can turn the motor drive shaft with ease. Based on this I think I have a bad gear in the motor assembly. The P/N on the motor assembly is LCI P/N: 366043 (LC379147). I got a new motor from Camping World and installed and the steps are working again.
mrchiefe7andlizzybullits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 07:23 AM   #11

Steps are working again!

Thank you all for your responses and suggestions.....after trying everything that was suggested, we took it in and the motor was replaced and all is working great again. Thank goodness for extended warranties! Thank you again for your responses and suggestions.