Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-31-2020, 05:54 PM   #1

Steps stopped working

The entry steps on my 2019 Jayco Melbourne 25k have stopped working. Steps are extended to the out position and the light underneath is on. The magnets that trigger step movement appear to be in the correct position but the stairs don’t retract even when the engine is running. I guess I drove home this afternoon with them extended the whole way. Does anyone have an idea as to what I might be missing?
Mondoggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 06:32 PM   #2

Fuses, loose wires, motor broken.

pward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 06:42 PM   #3

Steps stopped working

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mondoggie View Post
The entry steps on my 2019 Jayco Melbourne 25k have stopped working. Steps are extended to the out position and the light underneath is on. The magnets that trigger step movement appear to be in the correct position but the stairs don’t retract even when the engine is running. I guess I drove home this afternoon with them extended the whole way. Does anyone have an idea as to what I might be missing?

Doggie

Suffered the same issue on mine last year. Worked perfectly for 2 years then suddenly started extending when I started the engine and would not retract unless I crawled underneath and disconnected the wiring harness for the step motor or shut the engine off (obviously totally backwards).

2 weeks of calls, emails, and chats to Lippert proved useless. Ordered new magnetic switch and wiring harness to diagnose electrical connections ... everything showed no issues.

RV repair shop charged me several hundred dollars to troubleshoot...ended up they couldn’t find the issue or resolve and they rewired the motor so the door switch is bypassed. The step extends and retracts only when i use the step button in the RV.

Still have no reason why it started or how to “fix” it, but I have a step that “works”.
campaholix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 07:30 PM   #4

Pward, The coach fuse panel has no label for the steps. Assumed it must be located in the cab fuse panel since starting the engine should trigger the steps to retract. Problem is that none of those automotive fuses are labeled. Any hints?
Old 05-31-2020, 07:38 PM   #5

DNB, I’ve replaced the motor on a former rv. As I recall it was a part similar to the motor used to roll up car windows. May have to take that route.
Old 05-31-2020, 07:56 PM   #6

Quote:
DNB, I’ve replaced the motor on a former rv. As I recall it was a part similar to the motor used to roll up car windows. May have to take that route.
I had an DV repair technician tell me that the awning has a car window motor.
Old 06-01-2020, 08:26 AM   #7

Quote:

Mine went out too. Seems to be quite common. Not hard to replace, found the replacement part on Amazon.

Check out "RV With Tito" on Youtube, he had to replace his motor and he did a great job documenting the steps.
Old 06-01-2020, 10:07 AM   #8

Quote:
Pward, The coach fuse panel has no label for the steps. Assumed it must be located in the cab fuse panel since starting the engine should trigger the steps to retract. Problem is that none of those automotive fuses are labeled. Any hints?
Unfortunately no, I haven't had to find it. Was just listing troubleshooting steps more than anything. I would think it would be an inline close to the steps though.
pward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 04:12 PM   #9

Thanks!
Old 06-01-2020, 04:40 PM   #10

A Ford Tarus window motor works on steps I think it is driver side motor.
che57vy is offline   Reply With Quote