Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-24-2016, 10:51 AM   #1

Stink Bug

Its that time of year, anyone one found a deterrent for stink bugs? They are trying to get in RV thru vents hiding under the Camco roof vent covers
che57vy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 11:24 AM   #2

Home Depot sells a stink bug killer. I personally have never used it but I know people who have and they say it works. Not sure of the name though. As far as a repellant, not sure.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 12:10 PM   #3

I am going to give the peppermint oil a try see if that runs them off
Old 09-24-2016, 12:18 PM   #4

Hmmm..never heard of that. I hate those stinky %#$@!'s. Just when you think they go away for the season, the Sun comes out and they are EVERYWHERE! My neighbor pulled down the soffits on his house and he literally had thousands drop out. Disgusting!!

Good luck!!
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 12:28 PM   #5

The only thing I found that worked was a professional exterminator.
Old 09-24-2016, 02:09 PM   #6

I did find that a quick spray of backwoods off around the vents sends them running
Old 09-28-2016, 06:10 PM   #7

I believe I have found a deterrent to the stink bug. First I tried the product from Home Depot made by Ortho and it is absolutely worthless. At least it has no immediate effect on the bug. I had tried just about everything and nothing seem to work. Here in Maryland we had and epidemic level of the critters they were simply everywhere. A friend suggest that I try moth balls and I submit to you they are very effective. Previously I owned a 5th wheel and the bugs invaded every where the air ducts, the demand pump area and everywhere in between including the air conditioner housing. I placed a cup with moth balls just about in every corner of the trailer and at the end of winter I found less than 10 bugs dead. I believe the moth ball generates an offensive odor to the stink bug forcing it to leave the area and go some place else. The bugs have just started to arrive here in Maryland attempting to come in from the fields so I have set up my moth ball cups in preparation for them. I could be wrong but I believe the active ingredient in the moth ball is the same or the same class of compounds used in pellet form to drive snakes away from your house. The bottom line is I am certain the moth ball is quite effective against the stink bug. They are also hazardous to your health that is breathing the vapor generated by them so prior to taking the RV out you have to a window and let in some ventilation.
xmtraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 06:23 PM   #8

Forgot to add, you need to add something on the order of a 1/4 -1/2 small cup of the moth balls in order to generate a very strong vapor. Place inside the air conditioner because the stink bug can enter from the roof. They will not come inside the AC in the presence of the moth balls. Another area is underneath the shower or any place they can hide and over winter. Lastly moth ball are very cheap to purchase. Just remember to ventilate the RV before taking it out. When you open the door of your RV you too can smell the extreme vapor of these moth balls. And of course do not leave unopened food inside to be contaminated by the moth balls. Here in Maryland unfortunately the bugs are absolutely terrible enough to get the Univ. Md insect depart trying to find a solution for this problem. Good luck.
Old 09-28-2016, 06:53 PM   #9

Good idea, they were coming out in hoards the other day trying to get in everything
Old 09-28-2016, 07:02 PM   #10

A spray called Home Defense
Vaneta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 06:16 AM   #11

They are very bad around here especially if living in a rural area they simply come in from the fields and the woods after filling themselves on whatever green plants they thrive on. They invade homes into every crack and crevice and hide out the winter. Obviously they do not need to eat during the late fall and winter months. So they wait until the spring to emerge again. Two years ago prior to the use of the moth balls we took the trailer out and turn on the AC and heard this popcorn sound inside the duct works and it was coming from the bugs being blown around inside the duct work. We then noted they had invaded the pump area, water heater area by the tank, storage areas and simply everywhere. Last year I put the moth balls in all these areas and this spring these areas were free of the bugs. When I open the door in the winter I smell the moth balls but that's ok, no bugs. Just be careful and remember everywhere you place them because a high concentration of these moth balls are toxic to humans. I tried everything else including that product home defense but it is not possible to spray that stuff all over everything and beside you need something that is continuously protecting the RV from these bugs and that is the moth ball. I think the moth ball very slowly melts or disintegrates by giving off the chemical aroma over a long time. You see this by their reduction in size. And of course after removal from the RV fresh air will simply remove the odor of the moth balls. I like to ventilate the RV by opening the vent cover on the roof. Before the screen on the vent was covered with these bugs. Now I place a container of moth balls underneath and let the aroma generated by the moth balls drive them away from the vents. Bottom line it works. A friend of mine tried this and told me and thankfully I was about to give up because these bugs are so annoying.