Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-08-2019, 01:43 AM   #1

Question Stink bugs......need help, pleez

Hi there community. Does anyone know how to keep the stink bugs out of our Greyhawk? I noticed that one crawled into our skylight. It is above the glass and under the skylight! Any idea on how to get him out.

And, once I think they are all gone. I see a few more. They are just plain stinky! And, an annoyance! Any suggestions?

"People will forget what you did or what you said, but they will never forget how you made them feel" ! Maya Angelou
Bonnshack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 05:44 AM   #2

Catnip is a good repellent on stinkbugs. Use it in pouches. Put along windows, countertops and entry points. Put one in shower and sink as well.
1996 Viking Pop-up
1979 Coleman 8 man cabin tent
1967 G.I Joe (hasbro) canvas pup tent
THE MEEKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 05:56 AM   #3

Thank you. Will give it a try. Now, I got to figure out how to get the dead bug out of the skylight.

"People will forget what you did or what you said, but they will never forget how you made them feel" ! Maya Angelou
Old 05-08-2019, 01:02 PM   #4

Probably a good idea to spray around anything that lays on the ground (hoses,tires, steps,ect)
Poppyof5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 07:03 PM   #5

They are a pain love to find the RV as a winter home
che57vy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 07:07 PM   #6

When it gets cold they are gone. Now that it is warming up here in PA.....they are coming out everywhere. Hey.....maybe the cicadas will eat them! Keeping fingers crossed!

Old 05-08-2019, 09:00 PM   #7

https://youtu.be/e-fEDC7_pxg
fr8erfxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 04:03 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnshack View Post
Thank you. Will give it a try. Now, I got to figure out how to get the dead bug out of the skylight.
Boonshack, I recently took out the 6 screws in the shower skylight and removed some debris from the original build. You will find styrofoam in there as well. If you clean it use a damp cloth on the plastic so you donít create static for more dirt to cling to it.
Hope this helps. Hate them stink bugs.
Jimmyd
Jimmyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 04:47 AM   #9

I will be trying the dryer sheets today. Thank you.

Old 05-09-2019, 04:49 AM   #10

I will also show hubby the reply about removing the skylight, he can give it a try as well! Thank you all! Iíll keep you all posted as to whether this problem has been solved.

Old 05-09-2019, 05:16 AM   #11

Well, I just came in from rubbing the dryer sheets around the windows. Couldnít reach the slides tho. Iíll have DH do that when he gets home. Also just left a couple bounce sheets on the emergency exit window. Yesterday, I noticed three stink bugs on that window. They were right near the wept holes. So, I just tucked a couple there. Test will be today around noon when it warms up. Keep you all posted. And, I did use the Bounce dryer sheets.

Thank you all again!

Old 05-11-2019, 06:17 AM   #12

I believe the stink bug must have survived the dinosaur era. In Maryland they are epidemic hiding in winter anywhere is warm house, barn, RV or anyplace that they believe can insure survival. I struggled to find a solution to get rid of these creatures and sometimes in summer they are so abundant here when you walk outside they fly into you. For the RV I decided to used mothballs. I put several trays filled with mothballs so the permeate the air and that seems to work. As a caution when using so many mothballs they are hazard to health so must open RV to allow to air to clear out before using but I am convinced they are a deterrent to the stink and human alike so be careful if using in large quantities as I do.
xmtraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 07:01 AM   #13

Thank you for the tip. After rubbing the window edges with bounce dryer sheets, I do not see any stinkbugs in the window channels. I did find a stinkbug above my slide. But I have not had a chance to rub the sides of the slide with the dryer sheets yet. So Iím thinking the stinkbugs are coming in from the slides. However I only found one yesterday afternoon when normally I would have found no less than six. So the dryer sheets do seem to work I just got to get the dryer sheets applied to the slides. Thank you all so much! They are just yucky!

Old 05-15-2019, 11:57 AM   #14

Our temporary fix one year! Never happened again.
Attached Thumbnails
bluetape900.jpg  
JimHanus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 11:59 AM   #15
Site Team

We had a bout of them last year. They were pesky but did not stink. We still find dead ones from time to time.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 12:02 PM   #16

Post Stink bugs

You may know this already, but whatever you do, do not squash the stink bugs. It only releases their scent which attracts many more stink bugs.
Solbkeston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 12:42 PM   #17

Oh, those stink bugs! haha What would a camper be without them? We find a bunch of these handsome creatures, but not overwhelming number, and toss 'em out, dead or alive. As far as I know they do not eat wood or fabric or cause any damage; they just like to come in out of the cold and perhaps have a preference for Jayco products. Loyal Jayco fans, those stink bugs. : )
Hollander Mutthaulers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 05:10 PM   #18

Dawn dish washing soap & water, spray'm & they'll "drop like flys!"
kneeslider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 05:17 PM   #19

I agree with using Dawn. Put someDawn in a jar with a lid and simply use the cap to direct the bug into the jar, put the lid back on and WALLA, they can’t swim!
bearkeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 04:56 AM   #20

Downy dryer sheets. Don't get bounce. We had it bad when we got ours and we tried everything. Finaly found Downy dryer sheets and that did the trick.

mitchhelms is offline   Reply With Quote