Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-06-2011, 07:17 AM   #1

Storage compartment key problems

I can't lock any of my storage bins..... I have the 715 key which I understand is standard and came with my 2008 used Class C. I can't get it to work in ANY lock. I've used a tube of graphite and still can't get the key in all the way to lock. I've tried it with the teeth up and down if you know what I mean I took the inside plate off and pulled the locking unit out but I see no way to access the inside of the key lock. I guess I need to keep being persistent. It would help to know which way the key is suppose to go in the key hole. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. I really need to be able to lock at least a few of these bins.....
jtc@charter.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 07:27 AM   #2

I had the same issue and replaced them with a combination cabinet lock and they work great. no more key needed for them. I could not replace the one on my outdoor shower as it has less room.
knuts1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 08:01 AM   #3

Is it a 715 or a 751? The 751 is the standard key. As for which way - I still have problems remembering but it does have a very different feel if it goes in the wrong way so I know quickly.

They are pretty cheap if you have to replace them, you just need to measure the width of the door to make sure you get the right size.

2009 JayFlight Manual Library

Want to add a signature to your posts? --> Click Here
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 09:17 AM   #4

To determine which way to put it in, just look where the grooves are on the side of the key and match them up to the little teeth or ridges in the keyhole that fit into the grooves on the keys. If you have eyes like mine, you might need a magnifying glass and/or reeeeally good light.

Alternately, if you can see into the lock's keyhole, you should be able to see tiny bits of metal (usually brass) hanging down a little bit into the keyway. That is the side where the notched side of the key goes.
Old 10-06-2011, 10:01 AM   #5
Site Team

Sometimes the latch on the inside is bent a little too much causing the lock to be very tight. Graphite will not cure this, only slightly bending the latch will. I broke a key off on my front storage compartment from this problem and had to crawl in from the other side door to loosen the lock from the inside, but I have a fairly large compartment so it was not bad. I ordered a few 751 replacement keys on Ebay for a few bucks.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 11:04 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabman View Post
Sometimes the latch on the inside is bent a little too much causing the lock to be very tight. Graphite will not cure this, only slightly bending the latch will. I broke a key off on my front storage compartment from this problem and had to crawl in from the other side door to loosen the lock from the inside, but I have a fairly large compartment so it was not bad. I ordered a few 751 replacement keys on Ebay for a few bucks.
Crabman is absolutely correct. I have one latch that will not turn with the key unless I push in on the door. I think I may bend, er... form the arm of the latch (IBM taught me that you never bend anything. You form it!).
2010 Jayco EXP 21M Hybrid

“This isn’t rocket science; it’s more like quantum physics.”
Topflight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 12:31 PM   #7

I adjusted the latch lever slightly and it now opens and closes without having to push in on the door. I left it snug enough to seal good.

Thanks jtc for bringing this up.
2010 Jayco EXP 21M Hybrid

“This isn’t rocket science; it’s more like quantum physics.”
Topflight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 04:17 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
To determine which way to put it in, just look where the grooves are on the side of the key and match them up to the little teeth or ridges in the keyhole that fit into the grooves on the keys. If you have eyes like mine, you might need a magnifying glass and/or reeeeally good light.

Alternately, if you can see into the lock's keyhole, you should be able to see tiny bits of metal (usually brass) hanging down a little bit into the keyway. That is the side where the notched side of the key goes.
The problem on those little 751 locks is they have the little spring door on them and the groves are buried way back in there. You are right about the magnifying glass and light!

2009 JayFlight Manual Library

Want to add a signature to your posts? --> Click Here
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 06:01 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post

I did what you said and found the copper parts to be up so I tried again to insert the key that way. The key will just not go in. Some of the responces said if the door is to tight, etc. it won't turn. I can't even get the dang key in the hole more than 1/2 way. The doors latch and unlatch just fine. Thanks for your help! I'll keep trying.
Old 10-06-2011, 06:05 PM   #10

Thanks

Thanks for all the comments. My problem is not getting the latches to work.... They work just fine opening and closing. I can't get the dang key in more than 1/3 to 1/2 way. It just won't go. I see that the copper inside parts are to the upside so tried the key again with more graphite that way with no results.

Signed frustrated female!
Old 10-06-2011, 06:56 PM   #11

The locks have apparently corroded or gotten gunked up and will probably need replacing once you do get them open. Normally this is a bad thing to do but since the locks need replacing anyway, take a can of WD-40 and, using the little straw that comes with the can, blast a bunch into the key hole. You may have to hold the tip of the straw to force it to open the little spring door that's supposed to keep the elements out. Blast away until the WD-40 runs out, then quickly pull out the straw while the WD-40 is still spraying. Have some rags handy to immediately clean up the overflow. Let it soak for 30 minutes. Gently tap the lock with a hammer every 5 minutes while the WD-40 is soaking (note I said GENTLY tap, not clobber it; the idea is to set up some vibration to encourage the WD-40 to work its way into tiny crevices). After soaking, blast some more WD-40 into the lock then start trying to work the key into the lock. You may have to repeat the blast, soak and tap, blast, and key cycle several times to get it to loosen up.

Once you do get the lock to open, check back with us about getting it off and replaced.
Old 10-06-2011, 08:09 PM   #12
Site Team

OK, are you sure you have the right keys for these locks? Could it be that you need the 751 key which is very common instead of the 715?
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 07:01 AM   #13

Key

I didn't have the key with me when I said 715. It is the 751 and Jayco says it's the right key for the number on the lock. I'm gonna try what Jeanne said. What do I have to loose.... Thanks!
Old 10-07-2011, 07:05 AM   #14

Key

That sounds like a good idea. What do I have to lose using the WD40 at this point. I took the plate off the inside and pulled away the latch. There doesn't appear to be a way to access the inside where the lock is. It seems to be all one part, lock and latch. I got a part number for the latch with lock from Jayco. They are out right now anyway so I'm going to try your suggestions and see what happens. Have not gotten a cost on the part yet. I wish parts could be bought directly instead of using a dealer. Thanks and happy Friday!
Old 10-07-2011, 08:07 AM   #15

Get a spray can of WD 40 and use it to wash out the lock... you may have road crud in there... Opps I see I answered too soon before reading all the posts!!LOL... use lots of wd40 wash the lock out well
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 09:44 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtc@charter.net View Post
That sounds like a good idea. What do I have to lose using the WD40 at this point. I took the plate off the inside and pulled away the latch. There doesn't appear to be a way to access the inside where the lock is. It seems to be all one part, lock and latch. I got a part number for the latch with lock from Jayco. They are out right now anyway so I'm going to try your suggestions and see what happens. Have not gotten a cost on the part yet. I wish parts could be bought directly instead of using a dealer. Thanks and happy Friday!
Um...missed (or forgot) the part about you were trying to lock, not unlock, the locks and gave the directions I did so you could unlock them and get at the innards od the doors. Could you post pictures of what you have been able to get to so far?

It could be you could take your parts to a locksmith and get replacement ones that would also not use the CH751 key that pretty much everyone with an RV has.
Old 10-10-2011, 01:11 PM   #17

Forming versus bending - oh yes fond memories of IBM Selectric maintenance....LOL. As for the key issue... if i am not mistaken the lock itself has a small half circle indentation on one side of the key slot. I use this as a indicator of which way the key goes in.. That is indentation up (slot horizontal) - key goes in with ridges to the left. Also I checked to make sure ALL the locks are oriented the same - horizontal locked - vertical unlocked.. Hope that helps
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Gma-n-Gpa is offline   Reply With Quote