Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-20-2017, 07:33 PM   #1

Stove tops in Seneca

I notice looking at ads for used Senecas that in 2016 Jayco used an induction stove top but then converted back to a 3 burner gas stove top in 2017. Any one know why they did this?
I would actually prefer a gas stove but looking at a 2016. What would be the pluses and minuses of each? We would like to do a lot of bundocking so I think gas would be better.
Thanks
WorldCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 08:07 PM   #2

You are asking opinions, so even though the glass top is more efficient you loose that by having to run the generator. Glass top is easier to clean. On the down side if something drops out of the microwave above the glass will break, you need to use pots with iron otherwise they won't heat. They actually make an irrational noise. I prefer the gas. An other plus with the gas is you have a means to purge the gas line so the ice box will light and operate on propane.
Old 05-21-2017, 05:39 AM   #3

Interesting conversation and subject.

We have an appointment with our dealer, MH2GO in Grand Rapids on Tuesday to begin the process of replacing our gas stop top in our 2015/2016 37FS with a LP gas stove and oven. We have tried our best to live without a regular gas oven, but have decided to make the change because the confection oven with the microwave is a joke. We like the warmth of an oven and the smells of good cooking.

I'll keep you informed as we work through this process.
2016 Jayco Seneca 37FS
2016 Chevrolet Traverse
2018 Cheverolet Silverado
rgolding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 07:17 AM   #4

Induction cooktop is wonderful! Will never go back to gas. Our last coach had the traditional gas oven/cooktop and we never used either. Pulled out the potable induction plate and used it instead. So much easier to clean and efficient to operate. Only downside for some is you need 110 ac.

To minimize breaking the top from dropped objects, we have the cooktop covered with the absorbent dish drain pad we use instead of a drying rack.
Crossingover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 08:15 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossingover View Post
Induction cooktop is wonderful! Will never go back to gas. Our last coach had the traditional gas oven/cooktop and we never used either. Pulled out the potable induction plate and used it instead. So much easier to clean and efficient to operate. Only downside for some is you need 110 ac.
Wonder why Jayco went back to gas?
Old 05-21-2017, 10:25 AM   #6

I am with Crossingover, we love our induction cooktop. To prevent any mishaps with the glass top we have a foam rubber floor mat protecting it when not in use. As a rule we only store soft packaged items in the above cabinets.

ed
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
2019 Silverado High Country 4x4 Crew Cab
Australian Cattle dogs Zan & Tre
ed4ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 06:16 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldCat View Post
Wonder why Jayco went back to gas?
Three possibilities are:

1. Newbie to induction didn't do their homework about the induction cookware needed. Dissapointed when none of their pots and pans wouldn't heat up. Complaining to Jayco.
2. Owner dropped a heavy object on the cooktop and broke it. Complaining to Jayco.
3. Jayco decided their push to modernize the RV cook station was premature for the market.
Old 05-22-2017, 12:03 PM   #8

Just a comment - it's kind of interesting, since the induction cooktop needs 120V, it likely appeals to those owners who prefer to be tethered to the pedestal. Not boondockers.

The Girard water heater strikes me as the same thing - best for those who prefer to camp with full hookups. Not boondockers.

Yanking the induction out and going back to gas, *could* be a move to accommodate folks who don't want to camp with full hookups. Just like yanking the tankless water heater out could be too.

I've wondered if Jayco's marketing department is trying to figure out where their target demographic is?
pconroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 12:38 PM   #9

The two responses we got from Jayco were cookware and the inverter. I guess they didn't want to install a bigger inverter to handle the load. I guess they also felt people wouldn't want to buy all new cookware. That is a stretch for us because we bought all new cookware for the RV regardless.
jschulz1720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 01:43 PM   #10

Personally, I would prefer gas operated appliances so I did not have to be hooked up or on the generator. Unfortunately, the unit we are looking at has the induction stove top.

Does anyone know if the microwave will run from the inverter?
Old 05-22-2017, 01:46 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldCat View Post
Personally, I would prefer gas operated appliances so I did not have to be hooked up or on the generator. Unfortunately, the unit we are looking at has the induction stove top.

Does anyone know if the microwave will run from the inverter?

Our unit does.
jschulz1720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 03:58 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschulz1720 View Post
Our unit does.
Wow - they're getting better. Our 2106 Greyhawk only has a 1000 watt inverter. Which is easy enough to replace with a bigger one, but only feed the outlet behind the TV.
Old 05-22-2017, 04:11 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschulz1720 View Post
The two responses we got from Jayco were cookware and the inverter.
Interesting. Guess they weren't thinking at all about that when they made the decision to include it originally. We really appreciate ours though.
Old 05-22-2017, 04:13 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by pconroy View Post
The Girard water heater strikes me as the same thing - best for those who prefer to camp with full hookups. Not boondockers.
Actually, quite the opposite . . . the Girard is a gas appliance.
Old 05-22-2017, 06:57 PM   #15

We'll be one's following Rgolding's lead...

This is our first RV without a gas oven - we do have the gas stove top - but we MISS THE GAS OVEN already!!

I like pulling into a spot, turning the gas oven on first thing and popping in a casserole to cook while we finish setting up camp... can't do that if we have to get connected to shore power first... or start the genny if we're boondocking, and listen the another engine hum instead of waves crashing at the nearby ocean, or birds in the trees... all the sounds of nature we go to listen to instead of engine noise. We get enough of that in the city!

We have a gas stove & oven in our S&B home, too. LOVE gas cooking. Fast to heat up and Fast to modulate cooking temperatures. Robust for heavy pots and pans and high heat (think wok) cooking.

Having an induction cooktop was a stopper for us. SOOOOO Glad our 2015 at least has the gas cooktop... but we might still be trading that in for a new oven/stovetop combo in the near future.

We do have an 1800W inverter... good to know I can run the electric micro/oven for a while on that... I'd have to run some calcs to see how long we could run before running out of battery, though.
crumgater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 07:17 PM   #16

It is not a difficult modification, I replaced my cooktop with an Atwood glass-front range. You will lose one lower drawer but it was well worth it according to the DW. I think the new black stove better matches the black microwave as compared to the original gray cooktop.

Nice to be able to bake a main course in the oven and then microwave the frozen corn simultaneously. And tried to make blueberry muffins in convection oven, epic fail! But they came out perfect in the new oven.

P.S. I have unglazed ceramic tiles on the bottom of the oven, helps even out the heat. I take them out when breaking camp, wrap them in paper towels and store them in drawer to eliminate them rattling.
Attached Thumbnails
New Atwood range.jpg  
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 04:54 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossingover View Post
Actually, quite the opposite . . . the Girard is a gas appliance.
Sorry - not what I meant. The Girard is viewed by some boondockers as wasting water. Not propane.
Old 05-24-2017, 05:52 PM   #18

The tankless heater in our '15 Seneca took about 30 seconds to get hot water to the kitchen sink... I'd estimate about 1/2 gallon. As long as you don't use cold water in between, the hot water stays at the faucet.

It did take me a while to figure out my shower heat setting, but that should get faster with time, and then, hopefully, use less water than a typical tanked shower would.
crumgater is offline   Reply With Quote