Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-21-2022, 01:11 PM   #1

Suggestions Needed for Selling Greyhawk (not an ad)

It is with sadness, that I have decided to sell my 2017 Greyhawk. What is the best way to sell a motorhome without going through a dealer? Do you think RV trader ($249 listing price) is a good way to go? Any tips would be welcome from those who have bought or sold through a private sale.
maprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 06:54 PM   #2

Sold our last one through Craigslist. Bought our current one thru Craigslist.
Zero hassle.
Old 05-21-2022, 07:08 PM   #3

Try offerup dot com. I'm getting my trailer cleaned up to sell and will try listing it there first.
SmokerBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 07:20 PM   #4

I had great luck selling our Redhawk on RVT. I spent some time detailing, taking pictures and writing an add. Posted it up on a Thursday afternoon. Sold it for almost full asking price the following Monday. Worked well for me.
MikeUSNRet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2022, 09:59 AM   #5

After deep clean, wax as best you can, don't forget engine compartment and oil change, shiny stuff on tires, etc. Then take pictures and take your time to get good ones.

You can list here in the for sale section but Craigslist has been my go to for cars, 4 campers, an old flat trailer. List it for a little more than you think it's worth as a lot of people like to dicker.

If that doesn't work and your price is right expand your market with a paid listing.
Bet it is gone in two weeks.

If they have a check say you will go to their bank and cash it with them before signing.
Download a "bill of sale" that includes "as is, where is" and get a signature with address.

DO NOT allow them to use your plates. This can leave you liable if you get in an accident.
If your state provides take your stub off the title and register the sale at your state license bureau immediately.
Contact your insurance agent but leave on coverage for a couple of days to protect you from liability if they have a wreck on the way home and try to blame you.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2022, 10:24 AM   #6
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerR View Post
After deep clean, wax as best you can, don't forget engine compartment and oil change, shiny stuff on tires, etc. Then take pictures and take your time to get good ones.

You can list here in the for sale section but Craigslist has been my go to for cars, 4 campers, an old flat trailer. List it for a little more than you think it's worth as a lot of people like to dicker.

If that doesn't work and your price is right expand your market with a paid listing.

If they have a check say you will go to their bank and cash it with them before signing.
Download a "bill of sale" that includes "as is, where is" and get a signature with address.

DO NOT allow them to use your plates. This can leave you liable if you get in an accident.
If your state provides take your stub off the title and register the sale at your state license bureau immediately.
Contact your insurance agent but leave on coverage for a couple of days to protect you from liability if they have a wreck on the way home and try to blame you.
The first contact you will likely get will be from a scammer who says he's out of town but his agent is going to bring a cashiers check and pickup the unit. The cashiers check will be a forgery, but you won't know it until a week later when the bank tells you it didn't clear.
Onyrlef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2022, 11:19 AM   #7

That's a very good point about Craigslist. While we have had no problems over the years, I read over and over about scammers preying on people over their Craigslist ad.

If you're concerned about that, then absolutely don't bother with Craigslist. Too many other ways. [ I don't do 'Facebook' but I read that it's Marketplace is similar with scamming. ]
Old 05-22-2022, 11:22 AM   #8

Scammers are a concern regardless of where you advertise. Be smart and don't get taken in by a scammer.
Old 05-22-2022, 02:08 PM   #9

We bought our first one one eBay. We got a good deal as we were the only one that bid. No hassle. That was about 10 years ago. This was a tag and not a motor home.
2012 Jayco 32 BHDS: Long Gone
2007 R-Vision 25: Long Long Gone
1965 Frolic Cabover: My First RV
Bugzilla46310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 02:07 PM   #10

Facebook marketplace. Free and likely the best coverage. You'll get lots of dummies lowballing, but whatever.
foglght is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 04:31 PM   #11

Hello,

Sold our Greyhawk on Auto Trader.

First couple that looked at it made us an offer an hour or two after looking at it. Within a week or so of listing it.

We did get an idiot or two. One guy offered us his old RAM 3500 and another gave a real low offer, "take or or leave it" he said LOL

Was a pass-through trade deal we did, payment cleared at the dealer before we handed over the keys.

Regards,

John
2019 Chevrolet Silverado
2017 Grand Design 2150RB (Traded in)
2016 GMC Canyon (Traded in)
JohnK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 03:12 PM   #12

I had a 2017 Greyhawk that I sold. You have a few good selling tips you should include. The 2017's we're the last Greyhawks to have solid surface countertops. Later models have laminate. You should also have the electric swivel tv mount. Its very nice in that you don't have to climb up and yank the tv out. If you have 2 AC units tout that for sure. Do craigslist for sure and rvtrader is also good. Also check the price on RVT.com. $249 for rvtrader? I thought it use to be like $25 bucks a month or something.
t18skyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 03:14 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerR View Post

And insist on photo coping their drivers license!
Johnynorthland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 07:49 PM   #14

Both

We put adds on both RVTrader and RVT. Received inquiries on both. Once you get your unit priced correctly the inquiries will start rolling in. Be sure and get a good wash and wax. If you do your own work then refresh your roof caulk. Change the oil. We were subjected to an 8 hour inspection by an inspector paid for by a buyer. I was very upset with his report, scared off my buyers. This was a 6 figure motorhome so I understand the buyers caution but the nit picky stuff he found compared to what he did not look at was laughable.
Samsonsdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 07:53 PM   #15

I have done several large transactions (housing loans, vehicles, etc) by bank to bank wire transfers. It is basically a cash transaction. Once it's completed it's done. Check nah. If they have the money in a "real" bank you can almost watch it happen. Like Zelle except for large amounts. Real banks and investment companies have been using wire transfers for decades.
ElRey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 08:22 PM   #16
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by pconroy View Post
That's a very good point about Craigslist. While we have had no problems over the years, I read over and over about scammers preying on people over their Craigslist ad.

If you're concerned about that, then absolutely don't bother with Craigslist. Too many other ways. [ I don't do 'Facebook' but I read that it's Marketplace is similar with scamming. ]
Yep, I posted an RV for sale today on RVT and Craigslist, 15 minutes later I get a text from a scammer with a link to his e-mail, this after the listing clearly said text msg'ing only. Looked like an auto generated hustle. Next msg. will be some fake out of town buyer who's going to send his agent over with a phony cashiers check. After a day or two the scammers will move on and legitimate inquiries will hopefully start popping in. Unfortunately those scams must work or they wouldn't keep at it. As we speak someone's great aunt is at the grocery store buying gift cards to send to an IRS agent who left her a voicemail concerning a warrant for her arrest.
Onyrlef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2022, 10:37 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnynorthland View Post
And insist on photo coping their drivers license!
Not good advice. A friend of mine sold a high end dirt bike on ebay a few years ago on a Sunday to a guy who came over and gave him a cashier's check. My friend was reluctant to sell it to him without being able to verify if the check was legit because the banks were closed. His wife convinced him that it would be ok as long as he got a copy of the buyer's driver's license, so he sold it. The next day my friend takes the cashier's check to Bank of America where it was supposedly written and was told it was no good. Then he headed to the police station with the copy of the buyer's driver's license and was told it was a fake. Good-by dirt bike. This was in Simi Valley, California.
Randy G is offline   Reply With Quote