Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-24-2015, 04:18 PM   #1

Summerization

My wife is having knee surgery in mid July and we'll be storing our 2004 Granite Ridge for several weeks.
Is there anything that I need to do with batteries, water or whatever to get through this summer storage?
CKinsella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 06:11 AM   #2

First and foremost, I hope you wife has a fast recovery.

Personally, I would drain all the water so it doesn't get stale and funky sitting in the lines.

As for the battery, you'll definitely need to disconnect it, either by a switch/relay or physically disconnecting it. If it's only a few weeks, that's all you need. If it turns into months, I'd throw it on a charger. (BTW - I am assuming "storage" means no electrical connection.)

Also, crack open a few windows and/or vents to get some air circulation.

And definitely make sure ALL the food is out.
LkptRvPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 06:36 AM   #3

If you power everything down be sure to prop the fridge open. We leave the roof vent open too (it's covered with a MaxxAir vent).

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 06:57 AM   #4

X2 on good wishes for your wife's speedy recovery.

I would suggest to do everything except antifreeze that you would do for a regular winterization.

[and how did you get the summer spelling past the spell check?]

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 08:31 AM   #5

+1 wishes for your wife's speedy recovery.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 08:16 PM   #6

Wishing your wife a speedy recovery....
fielro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 10:20 PM   #7

Thanks for the well wishes and information. We bought the motorhome in May and I'm comfortable with everything but unsure about the battery disconnect button next to the steering wheel. When should it be on and when should it be off?
Does on mean that the main and house battery are connected or that they are disconnected?
Old 06-26-2015, 04:40 AM   #8

Woah! Hold on. Are you sure the button next to the steering wheel is the disconnect button?? Usually, this is the CONNECT button, where it temporarily connects the two batteries together when pressed.
I am not completely familiar with the Granite Ridge layout, but on my Grayhawk, that's the CONNECT button. My house battery disconnect switch is located near the house entry door.

When not connected to shore power, there are small parasitic loads that will discharge the house battery in a week or so. If I park our Grayhawk and know I won't connect for a few days, I hit the disconnect button. Basically, if I'm not under shore power, I disconnect the house battery.
LkptRvPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 07:14 PM   #9

Lk, your explanation makes more sense. When I picked it up the guy giving me the tour before the sale called it the battery disconnect. I was more interested in the AC, engine and other big stuff.
I just checked and is labeled "Aux Start". So would that be used if the engine battery is dead and I could get a jump from the house battery.
The Granite Ridge was the name Match have to a tricked out Greyhawk in the early 2000's. They rolled it into the Greyhawk line after 2006.
For me, parking the RV for a couple of months shouldn't involve touching that button.