Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-28-2020, 01:01 PM   #41

OvErLoAdeD

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmike961 View Post
So it appears that most on this thread installed the lightest and least expensive sumo spring. When calling super springs they naturally recommended the heavier ones. I simply do not understand how these work, whether it is really necessary to get the heavier ones. Are the lighter ones at risk of overload? Someone please dumb it down for me as to why they chose what they did or what they would recommend for a redhawk 24B GVWR 14,500 lbs.
Simplest terms I can think of: The blue assist springs are for those wanting firmer than stock with joust control. I have these on my Nissan Titan, had them on a 2015
F-150 and on both the point was to help keep it from dragging it's tail. Work fine. I had Timbrens on the RAM 1500. The are stiff, after the first compression. there is little 'travel' in the spring. The same way with the black Sumos. The rubber cells are tighter and required more force to compress. Without a load, the Timbrens were too stiff, and I would imagine the Sumos would be too. I'm unloaded 60-70% of the time. The only thing you will overload are tires and axles, the suspension enhancements default tot the vehicle rating.
kblast523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 05:29 PM   #42

The more I read the more confused that I become. Some say the sumos improved the bumpy ride over bad roads while others took them off because they reports too stiff of a ride. I could use some improvement of stability when trucks pass and would like a softer ride over horrible MS roads. I realize that I might not get all the desired results, but some reviews sound as if I could. That said do I buy the 500 or the 1000 lb capacity for the front? The 1500 or 2800lb capacity for the rear?
drmike961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 06:40 PM   #43

What?

Quote:
The more I read the more confused that I become. Some say the sumos improved the bumpy ride over bad roads while others took them off because they reports too stiff of a ride. I could use some improvement of stability when trucks pass and would like a softer ride over horrible MS roads. I realize that I might not get all the desired results, but some reviews sound as if I could. That said do I buy the 500 or the 1000 lb capacity for the front? The 1500 or 2800lb capacity for the rear?
I guess the next question I have...what are you putting them on?
Old 07-28-2020, 07:43 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by kblast523 View Post
I guess the next question I have...what are you putting them on?
Sorry I guess I was too lazy to fill out my sig line. In post 38 I mentioned that I own 2019 redhawk 24B GVWR 14,500 lbs.
Old 07-28-2020, 07:47 PM   #45

Weight...or is it wait...

Quote:
Sorry I guess I was too lazy to fill out my sig line. In post 38 I mentioned that I own 2019 redhawk 24B GVWR 14,500 lbs.
Ah HA! Not a vehicle with wide swings of weight! With that kind of gross, you will need the higher rated (black) Sumos. The springs are already compressed by the house and it will firm it up, and stabilize you on rough roads. Cheers!
Old 07-30-2020, 07:29 PM   #46

Well I bit the bullet and ordered the 1000 lb fronts and 2800 lb rears. I realize that I am heading in a different mod direction than most by not replacing sway bars but our terrible roads cause significant jounce. I'm hoping for an added bonus of decreased push from semis as well as a smoother ride. We will see.
Old 07-30-2020, 07:32 PM   #47

A Base Hit

Quote:
Well I bit the bullet and ordered the 1000 lb fronts and 2800 lb rears. I realize that I am heading in a different mod direction than most by not replacing sway bars but our terrible roads cause significant jounce. I'm hoping for an added bonus of decreased push from semis as well as a smoother ride. We will see.
All of the above. It will change handling dynamics, hope you like it.
Old 07-30-2020, 08:32 PM   #48
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Wait... what.... after all we've shared about how big of a difference the sway bars makes on our rigs, you haven't replaced them yet? I'm shocked...
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 09:10 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredOne View Post
Wait... what.... after all we've shared about how big of a difference the sway bars makes on our rigs, you haven't replaced them yet? I'm shocked...

I don't do enough interstate driving to notice the severity of handling issues, mostly 4 lane by myself (on rough roads). I just don't experience enough of a problem to justify spending that much $$ especially after the butt kicking that my business took from covid.
Old 07-30-2020, 09:51 PM   #50
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
I don't do enough interstate driving to notice the severity of handling issues, mostly 4 lane by myself (on rough roads). I just don't experience enough of a problem to justify spending that much $$ especially after the butt kicking that my business took from covid.
I get that. I think when I looked, the Sumos, front and rear, are around $800, right? That's what I spent on both sway bars and Roadmaster Reflex. I'm still wondering about the Sumos, but I'm happy with the handling now, so I don't know how much better they can make it.

When I did my sway bars, I felt the different in LESS body roll going around the first curve in my neighborhood. I didn't even need to get out on the highway to notice the difference. Once on the highway, and dealing with the trucks, big difference. I have no worries now, passing 18 wheelers, while ripping along at 75+ mph.

I'll be interested to see what you feel with the ride with the Sumos installed, and how tight the ride is.
Old 07-31-2020, 04:15 AM   #51

The sumos that replace the bump stops were $462 after the coupon code. The stiffer ones that attach to the springs are higher priced. No way I'm paying $800 for anything right now. Hopefully a little help with sway and especially jounce and I am good for the time being.

When I add up the anti-sway bars and steering stabilizer it looks to be between $1400-$1500. Where have you been shopping??
Old 07-31-2020, 07:46 AM   #52

Quote:
The sumos that replace the bump stops were $462 after the coupon code. The stiffer ones that attach to the springs are higher priced. No way I'm paying $800 for anything right now. Hopefully a little help with sway and especially jounce and I am good for the time being.

When I add up the anti-sway bars and steering stabilizer it looks to be between $1400-$1500. Where have you been shopping??
It could just be me, but I think prices have increased DRAMATICALLY on these items since me and RetiredOne did our installs (we did them pretty much at the same time).

I looked around a bit, but couldn't find my invoice on the Reflex, but I looked it up on Etrailer, and I don't remember paying $350 for mine?

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 09:52 AM   #53
Lost in the Woods

Quote:

Amazon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
It could just be me, but I think prices have increased DRAMATICALLY on these items since me and RetiredOne did our installs (we did them pretty much at the same time).
That's probably it. I went back and looked on Amazon at my past orders, and I bought the parts last Summer. June for the sway bars and July for the Reflex.

Front was $246., rear was $219, and Reflex was $237. Oh, and add a bracket for the Reflex for around $90.

I just checked now, the Reflex is $229. the Front and rear don't even come up on a search, and when I click on the link on my past order, it comes up "un-available".
Old 07-31-2020, 10:05 AM   #54

Quote:
Amazon

That's probably it. I went back and looked on Amazon at my past orders, and I bought the parts last Summer. June for the sway bars and July for the Reflex.

Front was $246., rear was $219, and Reflex was $237.

I just checked now, the Reflex is $229. the Front and rear don't even come up on a search, and when I click on the link on my past order, it comes up "un-available".
Good thing you pulled the trigger when you did. Check out etrailer and try not to have a stroke.
Old 07-31-2020, 11:10 AM   #55
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Good thing you pulled the trigger when you did. Check out etrailer and try not to have a stroke.
Nothing comes up on etrailer for the Hellwigs. A quick Google search brings them up at $290 for the front, and $333 for the rear. So, they have come up a little in price.
Old 07-31-2020, 11:26 AM   #56

Quote:
Nothing comes up on etrailer for the Hellwigs. A quick Google search brings them up at $290 for the front, and $333 for the rear. So, they have come up a little in price.
Well I guess that was my bad. I was never serious enough about this to study up on the different brands. I was looking at roadmaster (that was all that I saw) and for whatever reason their products are 2-3X the price of Hellwig.
Old 07-31-2020, 01:10 PM   #57
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Well I guess that was my bad. I was never serious enough about this to study up on the different brands. I was looking at roadmaster (that was all that I saw) and for whatever reason their products are 2-3X the price of Hellwig.
Yeah, that was all I saw at etrailer, the Roadmasters. Not sure why they are so much more... Gold plated maybe..

It's also strange that both models for the Ford are out of stock on Amazon. Must be a lot of other people replacing them too. Or, Hellwing hasn't received that container that they are on from China yet...
Old 08-05-2020, 07:15 PM   #58

What to do...

Quote:
For those who installed the bump stop replacement sumos, do you recommend the 1" spacer on the rears or not??
FIRST...did they come with the kit? Do the instructions for your specific vehicle say to install them? Do the instructions say they are optional?
SECOND...After replacing the bump stop does the Sumo sit about 1" to 1 1/2" off the axle with the vehicle on the ground? (Is the vehicle unloaded?) If it is 2" or more, yes, use the spacer. If you put the Sumo on the axle with the truck unloaded and on the ground, you will be increasing 'spring rate' by 2,000(blue)-3,000(black) lbs on the axle without the added weight. You WILL be black and blue after your first journey down the boulevard, no matter how smooth.
Old 08-05-2020, 09:58 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by kblast523 View Post
FIRST...did they come with the kit? Do the instructions for your specific vehicle say to install them? Do the instructions say they are optional?
SECOND...After replacing the bump stop does the Sumo sit about 1" to 1 1/2" off the axle with the vehicle on the ground? (Is the vehicle unloaded?) If it is 2" or more, yes, use the spacer. If you put the Sumo on the axle with the truck unloaded and on the ground, you will be increasing 'spring rate' by 2,000(blue)-3,000(black) lbs on the axle without the added weight. You WILL be black and blue after your first journey down the boulevard, no matter how smooth.
Well I had to get them on before dark and I was able to get a hold of super springs which was why I deleted my question. They told me to use the spacer so I did, but damn I had to jack the rear up a lot in order to mount it. I drove it and it felt better. Less big sways back and forth when turning out of uneven entry/exits, more of a tight short wobble. Never got passed by a truck so IDK about that yet. Jounce felt some better, definitely not worse. Seems like improvement but I feel that they are very loaded with the spacer. I will call back tomorrow and expect to get a different answer from everyone that I talk to of course. These are 2800 lb yellow fwiw.

I saw no instructions anywhere for any specific vehicle. They are very vanilla,
Old 08-05-2020, 10:15 PM   #60

You are referencing 'wobble' as rebound in your post...I think you have improved your ride somewhat. Seems these Sumos are in constant contact and given your weight, probably good. You want 'loaded' feel with a vehicle pushing 15K weight. I would leave the spacer in as suggested by SuperSprings and enjoy the ride. You will never get an RV to drive like a Nissan Maxima no matter what you do to it.