Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-11-2020, 06:53 PM   #1

Sumo Springs

After reading comments about these, I went to their website and purchased a set of the 1000 lb ones. It was a very easy install, taking no more than 30 minutes. They raised the front end about an inch. I took a 30 mile test drive, quite windy here today about 20 mph. They added quite a bit of stability to the vehicle. Side to side roll was reduced, and passing vehicles didn’t have as much effect. I took unit up to 75 mph. It was not bad at all. I usually don’t go much over 63. Will see more next month when we head out to Wyoming. I found a discount code and they shipped free. Total was $168.
Attached Thumbnails
80689BF4-4D49-4522-A412-AC0E1C7F9857.jpg  
tom463219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 08:08 PM   #2

I put Sumos on my 2015 F150, they worked great. I did Timbrens on the 2019 Ram...only had about 1.75 inches unloaded clearance and firm when unloaded and only got worse loaded a touch rough. I have a 2018 Nissan Titan SV and the bottom stops are almost Sumo's, long and rubbery, but don't hold up much weight...and that is the point. Sumos will be going on sometime in the next 10 days. I do believe the Sumo Springs are the right answer as they are compliant to a point so they ride smother without a load, but after 2-2.5 inch compression, they 'kick in' and support your additional load.
kblast523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 05:42 AM   #3

I think I probably would have purchased some had I thought about it before I paid for a front end alignment +caster. At this point I don’t want anything affecting the nose up/down on the coach since that would affect the caster.

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 06:44 AM   #4

I did the same a year ago in our Greyhawk, added the Sumo spring in both the front and the rear made a big difference
Berjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 09:11 AM   #5
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jopopsy View Post
I think I probably would have purchased some had I thought about it before I paid for a front end alignment +caster. At this point I don’t want anything affecting the nose up/down on the coach since that would affect the caster.
I'm wondering, too, if they would do anything to help my rig, It's riding pretty good, right now, Being that my rig is a little bit lighter in the front than yours, not sure what the Sumos will do for it? I'm not getting a lot of roll with the other upgrades I did.
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 09:13 AM   #6

Right, I’m really looking at them as a ‘cheap’ upgrade and especially on the front end, ‘easy’ upgrade. However, if it nudges up the nose it’ll futz my w/ my alignment. I think I’m staying away from this until I’m due for another alignment.

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 09:29 AM   #7

I had my alignment done a few years ago. On my test drive with the sumos, it does not steer any different than before. Just feels more stable. Of course I haven't had them on very long.

I got this from their website "SumoSprings are not lifting your van, they are leveling your van, and your headlights were installed with a level van in mind/design. Unless your coach is out of alignment due to other factors, there is no reason to realign your van after SumoSprings."

Time will tell.
Blue Ox Baseplate w/Aventa LX Tow Bar & KarGard II Deflector
Blue Ox Patriot Brake
tom463219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 10:59 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom463219 View Post
I had my alignment done a few years ago. On my test drive with the sumos, it does not steer any different than before. Just feels more stable. Of course I haven't had them on very long.

I got this from their website "SumoSprings are not lifting your van, they are leveling your van, and your headlights were installed with a level van in mind/design. Unless your coach is out of alignment due to other factors, there is no reason to realign your van after SumoSprings."

Time will tell.
Installed them on a Mercedes chassis and no alignment was needed. It replaces the bump stops and should not effect the alignment. Mine did not lift the front end just added a different "cushion" or resistance to the bump stop. They do make other products for the Ford chassis that may require an alignment but the ones pictured in post 1 to my knowledge do not. If you want to verify you could call them. They were very helpful when I called 3-4 years ago.
2016 Ford Focus set up to flat tow
Pfflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 02:37 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jopopsy View Post
Right, I’m really looking at them as a ‘cheap’ upgrade and especially on the front end, ‘easy’ upgrade. However, if it nudges up the nose it’ll futz my w/ my alignment. I think I’m staying away from this until I’m due for another alignment.
Not to worry, if you nudge UP the nose it will increase the +caster, which is for the better stability wise.
Harvard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 03:49 PM   #10

Forgive my ignorance but is there any practical reason to add sumos to the front only on a 25 foot redhawk, or must they be added to front and back to gain any improvement?? I am looking for inexpensive way to improve ride and handling until my income returns to something close to normal.
drmike961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 04:00 PM   #11

Reasoning

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmike961 View Post
Forgive my ignorance but is there any practical reason to add sumos to the front only on a 25 foot redhawk, or must they be added to front and back to gain any improvement?? I am looking for inexpensive way to improve ride and handling until my income returns to something close to normal.
No. Front Sumo's will not do much to improve any handling issues unless you pair them with rears. As long as you have the additional weight on the chassis, work on both ends, or only the rear where the bulk of the load is. Think geometry.
kblast523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 04:07 PM   #12
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
I've been wondering about putting them on too. Not sure what the benefit might be? I've been paying attention, and I'm pretty happy how this rig handles now, with those other upgrades. Not sure how much Sumos will add....

I'm getting a bit of that driveline hum again. Remember, we took the shims out of the hangar bearings. I took one out (there's still one in there) and most of the hum disappeared. Lately, it's getting a little bit louder... wondering if taking the other one out would be the right thing to do..
Old 07-01-2020, 04:16 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredOne View Post
I've been wondering about putting them on too. Not sure what the benefit might be? I've been paying attention, and I'm pretty happy how this rig handles now, with those other upgrades. Not sure how much Sumos will add....

I'm getting a bit of that driveline hum again. Remember, we took the shims out of the hangar bearings. I took one out (there's still one in there) and most of the hum disappeared. Lately, it's getting a little bit louder... wondering if taking the other one out would be the right thing to do..

I've been wondering the exact same thing. You first.
drmike961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 05:13 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berjr View Post
I did the same a year ago in our Greyhawk, added the Sumo spring in both the front and the rear made a big difference
What model sumos did you use in the rear and do you have jay ride plus? I was told you couldn’t add sumos to rear with jay ride plus but not sure if that’s accurate. I did front sumo solo customs and wasn’t sure what I could use in the rear.
Studiovette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 09:11 PM   #15
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
I've been wondering the exact same thing. You first.
Ha..

Where's Alazear when you need him....
Old 07-02-2020, 08:54 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Studiovette View Post
What model sumos did you use in the rear and do you have jay ride plus? I was told you couldn’t add sumos to rear with jay ride plus but not sure if that’s accurate. I did front sumo solo customs and wasn’t sure what I could use in the rear.
You can't add the Sumos in the rear because of the Hellwig Helpers that are back there on the J-Ride Plus (Greyhawk) unless you remove the Hellwigs.

I just looked up the installation video and the bottom bracket for the rear Sumo straddles the top of the leaf pack right by the hold-down plate. On a Greyhawk with the Hellwigs installed from factory, they wouldn't be able to mount up correctly because of interference from the Helper spring pack.

I have them on the front, but I installed them at the same time I installed an upgraded sway bar, so I can't say for sure how much they alone helped. I do know it rides/drives A LOT better after the upgrade.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 10:12 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
You can't add the Sumos in the rear because of the Hellwig Helpers that are back there on the J-Ride Plus (Greyhawk) unless you remove the Hellwigs.

I just looked up the installation video and the bottom bracket for the rear Sumo straddles the top of the leaf pack right by the hold-down plate. On a Greyhawk with the Hellwigs installed from factory, they wouldn't be able to mount up correctly because of interference from the Helper spring pack.

I have them on the front, but I installed them at the same time I installed an upgraded sway bar, so I can't say for sure how much they alone helped. I do know it rides/drives A LOT better after the upgrade.
I'm being told it's possible by etrailer.com see below. I did mention that it's a hawk with j-ride plus.

Link to springs

https://www.etrailer.com/p-SSR-130-47.html

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20200703-121115.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	40.8 KB
ID:	60701
Studiovette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 10:18 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Studiovette View Post
I'm being told it's possible by etrailer.com see below. I did mention that it's a hawk with j-ride plus.

Link to springs

https://www.etrailer.com/p-SSR-130-47.html

Attachment 60701
Okay, so it looks the bottom of this version sits right against the axle housing. If that's the case, that is probably fine.

If I were you, before I pull the trigger, I would look at the specific installation instructions for the specific part number you're installing, then go and look at your rear suspension to make sure nothing back there interferes.

And then if you DO install it, post back up please. I'm sure I'm not the only one who wants to know how well this would work...

ETA I was looking at the "Maxim" products that actually ride on top of the spring pack. The "Solo" product rides NEXT TO the spring pack.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 07-03-2020, 10:28 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post

Pretty happy with how my rig handles, but improvement would be great. Reading about this issue over the last year or so it sounds like some of you only have Hellwigs on the rear or am I missreading?
Demco Base Plate
Demco Commander Tow Bar
billjmck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 11:09 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by billjmck View Post
Pretty happy with how my rig handles, but improvement would be great. Reading about this issue over the last year or so it sounds like some of you only have Hellwigs on the rear or am I missreading?
That depends on what Hellwig product you're talking about.

J-Ride plus came with (or still does?) an upgraded Hellwig sway bar on the rear, and Hellwig helper springs in the rear. Many of us have upgraded the Ford OEM front sway bar to the Hellwig FRONT sway bar (MUCH improvement).

From what I've read though, not many have attacked the rear on Greyhawks. I intend to install a Track Bar system some day. My curiosity is whether Sumos out back would work in conjunction with the track bar? Or would be a duplication? Or perhaps a duplication of the Hellwig Helper springs?

I'm well aware the Sumos work a completely different "problem" than the track bar, but I'm wondering if the net result would be similar with either one installed, or if there would be a benefit to installing BOTH.

The Sumos for the rear are A LOT more expensive than the fronts. The front ones I could kind of brush away the cost, but the rears being so expensive, are not such an easy decision...

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV