Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-01-2019, 07:54 AM   #1

Sunroof above queen bed, why? Lol

Ok, I absolutely love this rig but why in the hell did Jayco put a little sun roof above the bed with slide? Ha ha....anyway, what do people use to cover that? I really don't like the sun shining on me at 6am. It's kind of a bad place to put a little crank window. It can't be for fresh air because there are 2 windows next to the bed.
Attached Thumbnails
20191201_074033.jpg  
adventuregurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 07:58 AM   #2

I can't say why but there are pads you can buy to put in there that will give you a total blackout of the vent. The intended purpose is for insulation but they completely fill the space.
hbravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 08:02 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbravo View Post
I can't say why but there are pads you can buy to put in there that will give you a total blackout of the vent. The intended purpose is for insulation but they completely fill the space.
Ok, thanks! Is it a Jayco pad or something at a fleet farm?
Old 12-01-2019, 08:09 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by adventuregurl View Post
Ok, thanks! Is it a Jayco pad or something at a fleet farm?
AMAZON

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-Insulat.../dp/B0024E6QX0
Old 12-01-2019, 09:04 AM   #5
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Ok, I absolutely love this rig but why in the hell did Jayco put a little sun roof above the bed with slide? Ha ha...

Easy answer. The heat needs to be vented out from certain activities back there...
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 09:22 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Thanks! I just bought one
Old 12-01-2019, 02:10 PM   #7

Why! On a lot of rigs that is where the 2nd AC goes. My DW is like you, I want the light to wake me up.

You could get a max air cover, and paint the inside to block most of the light, and still have ventilation.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 05:41 PM   #8
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
You could get a max air cover, and paint the inside to block most of the light, and still have ventilation.

Max Air covers are an awesome addition, to be able to ventilate in all conditions... and guess what, they make them in Black!
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 07:32 PM   #9

Since you are in MN and your other posts indicate you use your MH in the winter months, that 14x14 pillow/insulator/black out will serve you well. We couldn't keep our MH warm until we put one in each of the 3 roof vents in cold weather.
ruralIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 07:37 PM   #10

And the Camco version of the MaxAir covers work well and are significantly less expensive. Insulator pillows in when heating or AC. Take them out and open the vents in moderate temperatures with the windows cracked, or in the bath when showering and fan is on.
ruralIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 08:51 PM   #11
eow

I just ordered the MAXXShade for next season: https://www.airxcel.com/rv/maxxair/p...ades/maxxshade
Reese 5th Airborne (bagged) Pin Box
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
eow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 01:22 PM   #12

I have a MaxAir 2 way thermostatically controlled fan in the cutout, it is standard 14X14 so I also have the thermo pad for winter or high summer. The ceiling fan mode works well and in the summer brings in fresh air for sleeping.The cover blocks most of the light. The light issue I have is the huge skylight in the shower, my wife had to make a cover for it.
400 AH LiFePo4 house batt w/750 watts solar 40A charger & 2500 watt whole house Inverter.
2021 Ford Ranger 4X4 Toad
JesseS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 03:27 PM   #13

Quote:
Ok, I absolutely love this rig but why in the hell did Jayco put a little sun roof above the bed with slide? Ha ha....anyway, what do people use to cover that? I really don't like the sun shining on me at 6am. It's kind of a bad place to put a little crank window. It can't be for fresh air because there are 2 windows next to the bed.
Funny. Mine did not have one and I added one. Remember hear rises and since I boondock it is great to pull out air...
Nitehawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 06:05 PM   #14

Ha Ha....there are those of us who have added those when not factory installed. It is really about ventilation, as stated by others, because the heat rises to the ceiling and even a simple vent can be very helpful. Like others, we added a MaxxAir power fan vent that really pulls out the heat and brings in fresh air. Ours has a smoke colored cover, which reduces the light, however, we get up with the sun and usually have our window shades up, so morning sun is no issue. In the north, the early morning light could bother some, but I'd bet the heat in the south would be far worse if you cannot run A/C all the time when boondocking.
2020 Eagle HT 30.5 CKTS Modern Farmhouse (16" wheels, spring shackles set on lower hole of frame, SumoSprings TSS-107-40, standard kingpin, B&W Companion slider, TST-507 TPMS, Progressive Industries hardwired 50A EMS HW-50C)
2019 F250 SRW SuperCab 4X4 SB 6.2 (10,000# GVW) 3.73 Axle 18" wheels
Nature Ist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 03:48 PM   #15

Quote:
It's for ventilation. I wish I had one over my bed in the front of my trailer. Have one in the bathroom in the rear.

As has been noted, the cover will both keep out the light and heat/cold.

2014 F150 SC, 4x4, HD Pkg, Sterling Gray
Atlee is offline   Reply With Quote