Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-11-2020, 07:06 PM   #1

Super C Considerations

Hi,

We are looking for thoughts and viewpoints. Our plan was to buy a Super C in 3-4 years and become full-timers. Both my wife and I have driven a 2015 Seneca and loved it a lot more than the Class A we used to own.

A wild thought popped into my head to buy now instead of 3-4 years due to the following reasons. What are the thoughts and viewpoints we should consider.

1) it appears we just sold our house so we need a place to live for a minimum of 2-3 months. Who are we? Me, DW, DD (16 years old) , 1 Dalmatian ( we have an outside, 8x10 chain link kennel & dog house, and she is as used to being outside with the goats, as much she is used to being inside), and 2 indoor-only cats.

2) need a place for 2-3 months because our rental home is rented for at least that long, most likely not much longer.

3) the rental house is going to be massively expanded and remodeled beginning in 2-3 months. The plan is to live in the rental house while the addition is built, move into the addition when it is finished, and then remodel the rental house to match the new addition. Getting a Super C now could help with living arrangements during this construction phase.

4) DD may live with her Godparents or friends during the construction phase, for all or some of the time, alleviating the close quarters aspect of the Super C

5) DD is on a club volleyball team with seven out-of-state tournaments. Having a Super C would eliminate the need for hotels for four of those tournaments (three are stay-to-play tournaments meaning there is a requirement to stay at a hotel linked to the tournament in order to play in the tournament) and also eliminates the need to drive our own vehicle, rent a vehicle, fly to two of the tournaments. In fact, the most likely Super C monthly loan payment is about the same as just the airfare for one of those tournaments we have to fly to

6) anything else?

7) any Super C's (brands, models) to look at, avoid? I see a 2014 Seneca in Grand Rapids with 53,000 miles for $125k. The miles seem high for that amount. I believe I saw a couple 2015 Seneca's a few months back with less than 15,000 miles for about the same price: $130k. I saw a 2008 Nexus Ghost 2 months ago for $80,000. Is the 10- year rule an issue with Super C's? The older ones look just like the new ones, IMHO.

8). We plan on not doing too much boondocking/drycamping. I believe the toughest trip would be a RT on the ALCAN highway. I have always wanted to drive to Alaska.

Thanks in advance.
asolarrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 08:04 PM   #2

Good luck with your adventure sounds like fun.

All I can say is when you look at NADA or KBB they never add mileage when pricing a diesel MH. Also the dealer we used for close to 40 years always said he much preferred to take a unit in on trade that was driven regularly than one that sat. The one that was used regularly usually had far fewer issues.

If we had owned the 2014 you're looking at I can safely say it would have had that many miles on it as well. We traded our 08 in mid 2014 with 55,000 on it. I've never heard of the 10 yr rule and you will find many of First Generation SENECA's (KODIAK CHASSIS) still on the road and they were first produced in 2005 and they are still selling for close to 60% of MSRP if not more.
Old 01-11-2020, 09:37 PM   #3

If you are looking at a Seneca that is on the M2 chassis ask if it has had the update applied. The update increases the horsepower from 340 horse to 360 hp. You can do a search on update on the forum and read all about it.

Also check out the Seneca threads for mods and issues that have been performed or experienced by others.

We recently traded our 2015 Thor Challenger 37ND for a 2020 Entegra Accoladed 37TS. The Accolade is the same as the Seneca with a couple of minor differences. We love the Super C and we are getting ready for a February trip to Fort Wilderness which will be about 1800 miles round trip.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk TOAD
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 09:43 PM   #4

First... Welcome

Next... I will stay far away from passing judgment on remodel when you are staying in the house, even a part of it... NO Way i will go there.

Now that we know that you are looking at a Super C, Have the DW try and get in/out of a nexus ghost passenger seat... and a Seneca passenger seat. Try it ten times and you will make up your mind in about one minute.

We own a 2015 Seneca... use it a lot, Love it a lot... are on the road with it right now and will not worry about the miles until we get over 200K. they are built to last a lot longer than the gasoline powered drivelines.
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 01:35 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloPoke View Post
First... Welcome
Now that we know that you are looking at a Super C, Have the DW try and get in/out of a nexus ghost passenger seat... and a Seneca passenger seat. Try it ten times and you will make up your mind in about one minute.
Funny you should mention the step up on a Nexus, Steve. We were doing a nightly walk around a campground and came across a couple with their brand new Nexus Ghost. Joanne looked at the passenger side entry step (1 step vs 2 on Seneca) to the cab and asked the woman, not much taller than Joanne’s 5 foot 0, how she got in. Her reply was there was no way could she get in the cab door and had to always enter the coach. I was told that yes, that was a NO. Lol.
Mark S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 09:52 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S View Post
Funny you should mention the step up on a Nexus, Steve. We were doing a nightly walk around a campground and came across a couple with their brand new Nexus Ghost. Joanne looked at the passenger side entry step (1 step vs 2 on Seneca) to the cab and asked the woman, not much taller than Joanne’s 5 foot 0, how she got in. Her reply was there was no way could she get in the cab door and had to always enter the coach. I was told that yes, that was a NO. Lol.
YES exactly what I said to Stacy... i asked her at the RV show if she thought she could climb up into the passenger cab seat from the steps they put on the side of that thing... You know that Stacy is tall 5'10" in bare feet - and she looked at the second step and said - "no way i can jump that high". We love the Seneca how it is ... the Ghost has the fuel tank step about 18" high.. not possible on either side for those with grey hair.
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote