Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-23-2021, 06:13 AM   #1

Surface Rust in Various Chassis Area

Hello
Have various areas of my 2019 30X that has surface rust on chassis and suspension parts. only has 3K miles. Not sure where the first owner drove it to get it in that condition. No rot just surface rust.Without going crazy big with a project what can I put on those rust areas to stop or slow down the mess? Paint over it with p.o.r? jelly spray on lubricant?
Antper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 06:41 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antper View Post
Hello
Have various areas of my 2019 30X that has surface rust on chassis and suspension parts. only has 3K miles. Not sure where the first owner drove it to get it in that condition. No rot just surface rust.Without going crazy big with a project what can I put on those rust areas to stop or slow down the mess? Paint over it with p.o.r? jelly spray on lubricant?
My 2019 30X was that way too. Everything - I mean everything metal on the underside was corroded. That being said I was told by the dealer, Jayco and a commercial truck shop (where I had it inspected), that is was ugly, but not an operational problem for another 10 years. The truck shop did put it on a lift and sprayed the underside with fluid film for me. After owning it two years I traded it on a Melbourne (on a Mercedes chassis) and found no corrosion. Everything seems painted.
Old 02-23-2021, 07:34 AM   #3

Yes I thought about that fluid film but I'm thinking its gonna get all over everything else like hoses and wiring and be messy slimy job working on anything under the rig.
Thanks for the input.
Antper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 07:55 AM   #4

I used red oxide primer, followed by this product in brush on. You could probably spray. I just prefer to apply with a brush for better adherence. Got it at Ace Hardware.

https://www.rustoleum.com/product-ca...-and-implement

2020 North Point 315RLTS
Ram 3500/Aisin CC, SB, SRW, Superglide
Firestone Ride-Rite Air bags, TST507 TPMS
DrSmart is offline   Reply With Quote