Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-08-2017, 06:58 PM   #1

Surge protector

I have a 2017 Grayhawk Ds , would like recommendations for a good surge protector.
Ljnasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 07:23 PM   #2

Consider looking at an EMS (Electrical Mgmt System) as opposed to just a surge protector. These offer protection for a number of other undesirable power conditions as compared to a basic surge protector. Progressive Industries units are very popular and their customer service is top notch:

Progressive Industries RV Surge and Electrical Protection industry lea

Look at the EMS systems - EMS-PT50X for 50amp service and EMS-PT30X for 30amp service. There are also hardwired units that would install inside your camper if you have concerns about theft or forgetting an expensive device hanging on the power pedestal when you leave....
TT: 2015 Jay Flight SLX 195RB Baja Edition, Andersen No-Sway (Traded in)
ttavasc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 07:27 PM   #3

Thanks, that's the one I was looking at. 84.00 on Amazon.
Old 08-08-2017, 08:48 PM   #4

The $84 one would be a surge protector only. The EMS units that I would recommend protect your camper against a number of potentially damaging conditions that the surge protector only doesn't. This includes over/under voltage, open ground and reverse polarity. When a potentially damaging condition is detected the EMS will disconnect power from the camper in order to protect it and will not restore power until safe conditions are detected again. While they do cost a bit more than the surge protector only models they provide a lot more protection. I even use mine when plugged in at the house. Just yesterday there was a transformer that blew in our neighborhood that caused a significant undervoltage condition. The EMS disconnected the power from the camper before any potential damage could be done.
TT: 2015 Jay Flight SLX 195RB Baja Edition, Andersen No-Sway (Traded in)
ttavasc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 03:55 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttavasc View Post
The $84 one would be a surge protector only. The EMS units that I would recommend protect your camper against a number of potentially damaging conditions that the surge protector only doesn't. This includes over/under voltage, open ground and reverse polarity. When a potentially damaging condition is detected the EMS will disconnect power from the camper in order to protect it and will not restore power until safe conditions are detected again. While they do cost a bit more than the surge protector only models they provide a lot more protection. I even use mine when plugged in at the house. Just yesterday there was a transformer that blew in our neighborhood that caused a significant undervoltage condition. The EMS disconnected the power from the camper before any potential damage could be done.
X2 on the PI EMS units. I full time and I have two PT50's. If one takes a hit and has to go back to the warranty service (lifetime) I have the spare to protect my rig. This has happened twice since September 2016. I also agree on having your EMS inline when at home. I have been shut down numerous times at my home base for both high voltage and low voltage not to mention one issue with high voltage spikes the power company didn't know was happening.

I will NEVER plug in Anywhere without my PT50 inline.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 09:08 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ljnasa View Post
I have a 2017 Grayhawk Ds , would like recommendations for a good surge protector.
Though not inexpensive, we purchased the Progressive Industries EMS-PT30X surge protector. We felt it was well worth the cost being as the cost of repairing or replacing circuit boards on the RV, or damage to our laptop and other devices would be a great deal more.
jkaras7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 09:21 AM   #7

Thanks everyon , I will purchase the one recommend.
Old 08-09-2017, 10:11 AM   #8

Quote:
Do as you wish but I will never hardwire a surge protector of any kind, when it fails in the middle of nowhere what next? Are you and electrician and can you bypass it for power?

I have had 2 hardwired surge protectors. One in a class C and another in my current Fiver. Both failed on the same leg requiring a trip to down. I now only use the old fashioned kind.
2015 Jayco Sesimic 4212 Extreme Weather Package, Dual Pane Windows, Side and rear Patios, 480 watt Zamp Solar Pkg, 6 - 6 volt AGM batteries, Residential Fridge, custom Dishwasher, 5500 watt Onan and lot of problems.
https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/m...albums843.html Check this out.
https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...s-34672-3.html
Loboclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 10:32 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loboclone View Post
Do as you wish but I will never hardwire a surge protector of any kind, when it fails in the middle of nowhere what next? Are you and electrician and can you bypass it for power?

I have had 2 hardwired surge protectors. One in a class C and another in my current Fiver. Both failed on the same leg requiring a trip to down. I now only use the old fashioned kind.
I concur with you regarding hard wire. We will not use a hard wired protector for the reasons you stated.
Old 08-09-2017, 10:39 AM   #10

I wasn't going to hardwire it in, was going to purchase one to plug into the power panel.
Old 08-09-2017, 11:28 AM   #11

I use a Progressive Industries EMS-PT30C Portable EMS RV Surge Protector - 30 Amp. Plug in type. I did modify the power cable coming from the RV by shortening the cable coming from the RV to about 3 feet. Then I plug that into the PT30C, then just plug the power cord into the power pedestal and feed a small amount up thru the compartment hole, to connect to PT30C. Keeps the PT30C locked in the compartment, and I don't have to mess with 25 feet of power cable feeding it thru that small hole. I store the long cable in the rear storage compartment. Works good and protector is out of sight and kept dry.
Blue Ox Baseplate w/Aventa LX Tow Bar & KarGard II Deflector
Blue Ox Patriot Brake
tom463219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 04:58 AM   #12

I also purchased the Progressive industries hard wired 30 amp unit. I have not installed it yet though on our 2016 GH 31FS. I was under the impression you could bypass the unit if a failure occurs. I was going to install it under/next to sink and behind where cord comes into unit. Would be difficult to get to in a pinch.
Midwest Jeffk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 09:29 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom463219 View Post
I use a Progressive Industries EMS-PT30C Portable EMS RV Surge Protector - 30 Amp. Plug in type. I did modify the power cable coming from the RV by shortening the cable coming from the RV to about 3 feet. Then I plug that into the PT30C, then just plug the power cord into the power pedestal and feed a small amount up thru the compartment hole, to connect to PT30C. Keeps the PT30C locked in the compartment, and I don't have to mess with 25 feet of power cable feeding it thru that small hole. I store the long cable in the rear storage compartment. Works good and protector is out of sight and kept dry.
Excellent solution for keeping the EMS safe, out of sight, dry, and not hanging on the pedestal after you have departed the park! The PT30X is $257 at CW or $326 from PI. There have been numerous complaints about threading the entire power cord through the rat hole, so your fix is a great idea.
Love To Travel 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 02:41 PM   #14

Quote:
Thanks everyon , I will purchase the one recommend.
If you have not yet purchased anything, check out the links to some videos:

Progressive Industries RV Surge and Electrical Protection industry lea