Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-21-2018, 11:37 AM   #1

Suspension

Just took my Grayhawk on our first long distance trip. Is there anything I can do with the suspension to avoid being pushed around by large trucks passing or is that just part of the experience? Also noticed a lot of noise comes in thru the entry door when engine is accelerating. Thinking of trying to come up with some sort of insulating blanket to cover the door while we are on the road. Anyone tried to deal with this before?
Woundtight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 12:57 PM   #2

Trac bars, sway bars, shocks, steering stabilizers, and air bags can help many things for different reasons.

Sounds like front and rear sway bars may be needed.
WinnieView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 01:47 PM   #3

Your unit has too little + caster....Ford ships these units with about +3.5 degrees of caster which is OK for city driving but you need about +5.5 degrees for highway driving.

Wandering at highway speeds

Reply Post by 2kGeorgieBoy
Re: Wandering at highway speeds
Reply #36 on: March 14, 2018, 09:07:02 PM

START QUOTE:
Jeff..Although we have a 2000 Georgie Boy 31' Maverick "C" on a Ford E450 chassis, I can fully agree on the caster effects, at least for us. When we got the unit in Jan 2014, the dealer had us take into a truck shop for an alignment. It turned out OK....A trip to Moab shortly there after brought out the problems. I then started reading the threads and comments here about the caster settings....esp., from Harvard. I checked the data from the first alignment and found that it was set at about 3 1/2 degrees positive...about in the middle of Ford's recommended range. Shortly before a cross country trip to Maryland in fall of 2016, I returned to the shop where the first alignment was done. I talked to the service manager and he knew of the problems with the E450's and was happy to increase the caster as I asked. The alignment tech was also familiar with it and ended up with settings close to 5.5 degrees positive. WHAT A DIFFERENCE! The unit tracked straight down the road, passing semis no longer caused a white knuckle hold on the wheel, and overall it was just a lot more enjoyable. It did however increase steering effort a little but not anything to worry about. But, be sure that the shop you go to is willing to "think outside of the box". Our first alignment was "plain vanilla", right in the middle like it was always done. Second time out, they were very willing to increase settings beyond what normally would be done, and still stay with in Ford's guidelines (0-7 degrees, I believe). I realize that our E450 chassis is an entirely different animal than yours, but I was trying to add support to the caster increase thinking and how it helped us......if you go down that road.
END QUOTE:
Harvard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 02:22 PM   #4

In the beginning....circa 2010

E350/E450 Handling Problems are caused by too little + CASTER

and

POPULAR MECHANICS MAY 1973:
START QUOTE:
If too little caster exists, the car will wander and weave,
thus necessitating constant corrections in steering.
END QUOTE:
Harvard is offline   Reply With Quote