Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-23-2022, 09:27 PM   #1

Suspension components changed. Much better now.

I think I have finally found the bottom of the rabbit hole. I bought a 2020 Greyhawk 30x around Labor Day of last year. In the test drive (mostly city streets) I found it to be a joy to drive. Much better than hauling around my previous 45’ fifth wheel with a dually in the city. Much to my surprise after the purchase on the freeway heading home, I felt like I was making way to many corrections to stay centered in the lane and I was being pushed around a lot by passing trucks. I started the research this winter and ordered a new set of Sumosprings for the front end, a new Hellwig stabilizer, a safe-t-steer, and finally a super steer rear trac bar. I adjusted the rear Hellwig overload springs to 2”, and incrementally added the above mentioned parts. All I can say is this coach is now a pleasure to drive. What a difference. I did all of these modifications myself and none of them were hard at all. To anybody that is living with the “stock” suspension system, there are ways to correct it and they are very effective. Hope this helps someone.
Dhardy193 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2022, 09:43 PM   #2

Happy to hear you got it riding the way yo like it. Of course you would hope the manufacturer would have done this up front. Enjoy.

2018 Jayco 28RLS
2012 F-250 6.2L 3.73
Equalizer Hitch
Yamaha 2400ISHC
2edgesword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2022, 09:54 PM   #3

I don’t mind doing the upgrades. Your right it would be best if they came from the factory this way, but I can’t remember a time when I have felt like any vehicle was perfect. I also get the opportunity to learn about my motor home and its systems by tinkering. This site is such a great help and I am grateful for the members insight and expertise. What a great community.
Old 04-24-2022, 06:07 AM   #4

Like you I also did everything except the rear track bar. Also had front end bushings replaced so caster could be adjusted to +5.5 degrees. What a difference.

Was the improvement from just the rear track bar noticeably better?

Safe travels

Enjoy the journey
Trapper2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2022, 06:13 AM   #5

I was pleasantly surprised at how well our 2022 Greyhawk 29MVP handled on our 700 mile trip home from the dealership. It definitely needs the steering stabilizer, alignment and springs adjustment though.

I’m about to tackle the Hellwig helper spring adjustment. I’m unable to find an extra deep 7/8” socket. Any tips?

My steering stabilizer isn’t due for another couple of months but I can live with that.

Glad the upgrades and adjustments worked for you.
Funengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2022, 06:50 AM   #6

Ratchet wrench.
Ttlanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2022, 08:13 AM   #7

22mm worked best

I just adjusted my helper springs yesterday. I used a wratcheting wrench and found that 22mm, which is just slightly smaller than 7/8, fit best. I also used a breaker bar with a 22mm deep socket to get the lock nuts loose. I tightened all sides to about 2 1/4 inch and could measure that the rear actually now sits about 1/2 inch higher measured at the hitch receiver.
FanStaF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2022, 07:05 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trapper2020 View Post
Like you I also did everything except the rear track bar. Also had front end bushings replaced so caster could be adjusted to +5.5 degrees. What a difference.

Was the improvement from just the rear track bar noticeably better?

Safe travels

Enjoy the journey
Yes the trac bar was arguably the most noticeable difference. It helps a lot with semis passing.
Old 04-24-2022, 07:08 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funengineer View Post
I was pleasantly surprised at how well our 2022 Greyhawk 29MVP handled on our 700 mile trip home from the dealership. It definitely needs the steering stabilizer, alignment and springs adjustment though.

I’m about to tackle the Hellwig helper spring adjustment. I’m unable to find an extra deep 7/8” socket. Any tips?

My steering stabilizer isn’t due for another couple of months but I can live with that.

Glad the upgrades and adjustments worked for you.
I used a ratcheting wrench. It takes a bit of time to do. I didn’t do this but another member said it makes the job easier if you use your levelers to remove some weight from the rear end.
Old 04-25-2022, 06:04 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhardy193 View Post
I used a ratcheting wrench. It takes a bit of time to do. I didn’t do this but another member said it makes the job easier if you use your levelers to remove some weight from the rear end.

FanStaF and Dhardy193 thanks for the recommendations.
Old 04-25-2022, 07:12 AM   #11

What Sumo's did you put on the front end and how did you choose them? They come in different weight capacities; I often wondered which one would be best.

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 05:50 PM   #12

FanStaF,
I took a 7/8 socket, cut it in half and welded a piece of pipe between the two halves to make a 8” deep socket. Worked great on my impact.

Coach goes in for an alignment Monday. Already installed a much larger sway bar on the front and dual steering stabilizers. We have had our 2021 30z since last December. Put 10,000 miles on it since we have had it.
Old 05-04-2022, 07:33 AM   #13

Thanks for all the suggestions.
Adjusted the Hellwigs last week. Used the levelers to take some weight off the springs which helped some. For this one time job, bought a 22mm ratcheting wrench which worked great and bought a deep well 22mm socket for starting and removing the nuts for the first few inches. Worked great also.
Hooked up the Canyon and took it for a test drive. That was an experience. While the Hellwigs helped w/o the Canyon, pulling it made the front wander even more. Looking forward to the alignment and installing the Roadmaster Steering Stabilizer.
Old 05-05-2022, 08:55 PM   #14

Can I buy that socket from you? Or fab another for me?
Aorobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2022, 01:28 PM   #15

Not for me

I can't fathom spending over 100K on a new motorhome only to have to bring it home and install parts which should be stock. Different story if you're buying used, you expect to put some money in it to make it "yours".
Girtski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2022, 01:52 PM   #16

I own a Jayco Jayflight 212 and keep having problems with the Dometic furnace. To get to reset of other components you have to pull the bench bed completely out, remove a wooden box over the heater, and then try and diagnose what’s wrong. Why there is no access door on the outside is beyond me. If other have had similar problems, did you install a door for easier access? This heater has made camping in cooler weather miserable. Finally went to Ace Hardware and got a ceramic heater to use as I looks for options. HELP!
Mrkite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2022, 02:16 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrkite View Post
I own a Jayco Jayflight 212 and keep having problems with the Dometic furnace. To get to reset of other components you have to pull the bench bed completely out, remove a wooden box over the heater, and then try and diagnose what’s wrong. Why there is no access door on the outside is beyond me. If other have had similar problems, did you install a door for easier access? This heater has made camping in cooler weather miserable. Finally went to Ace Hardware and got a ceramic heater to use as I looks for options. HELP!
Think yer in the wrong spot my friend
Stavman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2022, 09:02 PM   #18

Suspension

I know it may sound trite but the best investment one can make in their MH is liquid springs. I had mine installed in March and seriously worried about the amount of money involved but would do it again in a split second, only regret is that I waited two years before doing it. It's not just better suspension, it is better everything, ride, sound, vibration, alignment, steering, weight distribution, wind resistance, controllability, etc. I drove it home from the install and ended up doing the 750mi trip in one day, solo. It feels like driving a top of the line Lexis. Also, I have a 24K set of sumo springs front and back available for a F53, lol.
RoyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2022, 06:12 AM   #19
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyB View Post
I know it may sound trite but the best investment one can make in their MH is liquid springs. I had mine installed in March and seriously worried about the amount of money involved but would do it again in a split second, only regret is that I waited two years before doing it. It's not just better suspension, it is better everything, ride, sound, vibration, alignment, steering, weight distribution, wind resistance, controllability, etc. I drove it home from the install and ended up doing the 750mi trip in one day, solo. It feels like driving a top of the line Lexis. Also, I have a 24K set of sumo springs front and back available for a F53, lol.
Watched a few you tube videos on the LS, but pretty sure the rv'ers were being comped for extolling the virtues of the LS system and sounded more like a sales presentation. One thing is for sure though, if I were to shell out 20k for a system like that, I'm not about to let some local shop, authorized or not, do that kind of work. Worth a trip to Indiana, imo.
Onyrlef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2022, 04:15 PM   #20

Wish I could have gotten a comp but had to pony up the full charge. I'm not in any way benefitting from them, in fact the whole thing went with very little fanfare. They don't in the least act like you're special just hand them the keys and they call you when it's done. A short demo ride paid the bill and haven't talked to anyone since. IMHO the ride is better than a DP air ride and I'm still buying cheaper gas and an annual chasis lnspection, alignment and oil change is $100.
RoyB is offline   Reply With Quote