Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-22-2015, 08:56 AM   #1

Sway when flat towing-allignment?

We have a 2015 Redhawk 31XL towing a 2014 GMC Acadia (4850 lbs)
When towing I notice considerable sway and it feels like I'm fighting the steering wheel. Taking one of two hands off the wheel is never an option!
Here's what I'm thinking and wanted to get your opinions:

1. Alignment
2. front and rear sway bars
3. steering stabilizer

Any other suggestions so we don't have to "white knuckle it?"

FYI- tire pressure 75 front and 80 in rear tires
not over weight-load is distributed evenly

We live in Maryland so any recommendations on places to get work done would be greatly appreciated-would also be willing to go to neighboring states!!!!!!
debra1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 09:32 AM   #2

Your probably pushing the limit on the towing capacity and the tail is wagging the dog. A rear trac bar (Henderson Line-up best place to check) should help.
Old 04-22-2015, 09:49 AM   #3

Debra1967, when I'm flat towing my Subaru Forester (3,300 lbs with Greyhawk 31fs), I get a lot of sway as well and feel the same as you do about constantly battling steering wheel. I mean a lot. I've had the hellwig bolts tightened to spec (2"), but that did nothing for when in towing. I'm going to try two things.
1. Have the Caster looked at (per a recommendation on this forum)
2. Look into a beefier front sway bar

My only concern is that making the rig better for towing, will probably mess it up when not towing, and vice versa. But I will be towing a lot, so I'm going to lean towards that way. I'll keep you posted.
2014 Jayco Jay Feather X23B-"Glampy"(Sold)
DW, DS, DDx2, and Bandit & Fletcher
Bikester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 09:55 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikester View Post

My only concern is that making the rig better for towing, will probably mess it up when not towing, and vice versa. But I will be towing a lot, so I'm going to lean towards that way. I'll keep you posted.
It should be good both ways when set up properly. When we had our 01 32' DESIGNER I could drive it with one hand whether with or without the toad. I started out with a Chev S-10 and then switched to a GMC Canyon and never had any issues.
Old 04-22-2015, 12:17 PM   #5

I spoke to roadmaster about this when we started towing. They were quite adamant that it wasn't an issue with the front sway bar, but with the rear. So far, I haven't done anything, but my situation doesn't sound as bad as yours. I plan to start with an alignment, and see what that does for it.
bgermane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 12:47 PM   #6

Debra just from my own experience I know that road conditions, speed, wind direction and load distribution have a huge factor in how these motor homes handle. As you said you checked your tire pressures and they are good. Im assuming that the Acadia is in good shape tire and alignment wise because that can also be a factor.

I tow a smaller car about 3000lbs but i would go out on a limb and say weight isn't the main problem since the E450 can tow up to 7500LBS on other band motor homes but the problem is the taller profile of the Acadia acting like a sail when being hit by cross winds. Just for an experiment when the Acadia begins to sway bad I would activate the Acadias brakes and see if that helps stop the swaying and gets everything straightened out.

Also is your tow bar level or within tow inches from trailer hitch height. I had to buy a drop receiver from Roadmaster to get the tow bar with in spec. Anyway Im not an expert just my 2 cents hope everything works out for you.
Greyhawk01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 03:13 PM   #7

Here is a link to my experience with +caster, circa 2010. And yes I am still the owner of the same E450 today.

E350/E450 Handling Problems are caused by too little + CASTER
Harvard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 04:31 AM   #8

Update

Thank you to all that replied!
Since my first post I have:

The specs after alignment:

Left +4.97 (caster)
Right + 5.03 (caster)

The motorhome did ride better after the alignment, but still feeling the "tail wag" when flat towing. Camping World installed a Tiger Trak by Blue Ox (rear stabilizer) and the difference was-AMAZING!!!!!

The only other thing would be a steering stabilizer-but not sure it is needed.

At this point I'm comfortable with the way the motorhome is handling and don't think I'll be doing any additional modifications.
debra1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 08:07 AM   #9

Nice job Debra1967...................now one very important component is have the alignment checked on your toad. If the toad is out of alignment, it will affect the handling of your RV.
'13 Wrangler Sahara...AKAFUN
Roadmaster base plate
Ready Brute Elite towbar and brake combo
D&MAKAFUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 02:32 PM   #10

When towing (as compared to driving without tow) the tow vehicle wanders then it is a problem with the rear of the tow vehicle or the thing being towed. If there is any problem with the front of the tow vehicle it should create the same problem when driving without towing anything. I would think that the problem with MHs is that the hitch is soooo far behind the rear wheels. When pulling a 42 foot TH with my F350 dually the hitch is right over the wheels and even with pulling over 20 it is extremely stable, no wander even in high winds.
Tatanka is offline   Reply With Quote