Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-06-2022, 09:11 PM   #1

Swaying while towing

Hi all,

I recently got my Jeep ready for towing behind my 2019 Greyhawk 26y. The Jeep is a little heavy, 5100lbs, but under the 7500 capacity. I was towing it this weekend and noticed the entire rig swaying more than usual. Almost like the Jeep is moving it around. Not sure if the weight one the rear is making the front light? I'm using the Blue Ox tow kit rated at 10K lbs. A few years ago I did put a bigger sway bar on the front, with a better damper. Anything I more I can do to help it sway less? Bigger sway bar on the rear? Or, I've heard tighten down the leaf springs might help?

Thanks in advance!
DnTmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 07:20 AM   #2

If you have electric power steering E-Trailer has a couple of articles on what’s called “ Jeep death wobble “ I found it by googling “ Jeep death wobble E-trailer “ . Hope this helps.
1984 gmc k1500 4x4 s/w/b. s/b 350,700r4,373 diff,.restored and upgraded( retired - sold). 2022 Chevy Z-71 Trail Boss 4x4 crew cab s/w/b 6.2 gas a/t. 2018 hummingbird Baja 16mrb,Yamaha ef2400ishc inverter.
Happy wife / happy life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 07:56 AM   #3

Yes to the sway bar and spring adjustment- If you can afford, a trac bar will give the most improvement. As a rule, the wimpy front steering damper is weak out of the gate, and wore out in a couple of years-- I dont like the spring assit version, but would reccomend Bilstein or other aftermarket top shelf brand.
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 08:21 AM   #4

Thanks! I did some reading on this. Seems to be a lot on the Cherokee. I have a JK and have not had any issues while driving it. I'll continue to research this tho.
Old 07-07-2022, 08:24 AM   #5

Wheni put the heavier sway bar and steering stabilizer on the front a while back, that was a huge improvement. This is the first time towing tho. I can tighten up the leaf springs too, I've heard that is a big help to. What track bar are you referring too?
Old 07-07-2022, 12:18 PM   #6

Are we talking flat towing or its on a trailer? I ask because you said the weight on the rear, but if you are flat towing there should not be any real weight on the hitch.

Also, when you go to do an alignment your rig should go to the alignment shop with it loaded as it would be when you are going somewhere with all the gear. As the rear sags down with the cargo, your front wheels will start to toe out, which exacerbates the sway problem.
foglght is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 12:42 PM   #7

I tow a JK 2 door also using a Blue Ox 10000 lb towbar. Most of the time I hardly notice it's there. I can get a bit of sway (tail wagging the Dog) after the RV does it's normal sway thing, cross wind, big rig passes but it settles down quickly. I know the angle of the towbar (up or down) to the tow vehicle is important. As far a jeep death wobble, it would be there if you drove the jeep. Only think I can suggest is make sure all the connection points are symmetric, jeep's tire pressures are even and jeep's alignment are all good.
Old 07-07-2022, 02:22 PM   #8

Flat towing. I had it aligned when I first got it, and the weight hasn't changed much since, just towing it.
Old 07-07-2022, 02:25 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 201822j View Post
I tow a JK 2 door also using a Blue Ox 10000 lb towbar. Most of the time I hardly notice it's there. I can get a bit of sway (tail wagging the Dog) after the RV does it's normal sway thing, cross wind, big rig passes but it settles down quickly. I know the angle of the towbar (up or down) to the tow vehicle is important. As far a jeep death wobble, it would be there if you drove the jeep. Only think I can suggest is make sure all the connection points are symmetric, jeep's tire pressures are even and jeep's alignment are all good.
Thanks! I have the blue Ox pretty much dialed in. It is within the +/-3 inch. Maybe on the plus side. Maybe I'll try it home on the minus side see if that's any better. I'm about 1in from being perfectly level either way.
Old 07-08-2022, 06:52 AM   #10

There may be others, this is the one I used...
https://supersteerparts.com/products...-sway-bar.html
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2022, 05:18 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy View Post
There may be others, this is the one I used...
https://supersteerparts.com/products...-sway-bar.html
Thanks! I'll check it out!
Old 07-13-2022, 02:37 PM   #12

A track bar is a must! PERIOD!
Johnynorthland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2022, 11:53 AM   #13

I had the same issue towing our Jeep Gladiator with our 36C. I just installed a rear trac bar and the Safe T Plus steering stabilizer. Can't wait to try it out and see if it helped.

2022 Entegra Vision XL 36C
2023 Ford Bronco (Toad)
2015 Heartland Gateway 3650BH 5th wheel (sold)
Justafordguy is offline   Reply With Quote