Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-07-2022, 06:03 PM   #1

Tank Heater

I’m an RV Newbie. We purchased our rig last fall and it’s winterized here in MN. We’re planning to head to Georgia in March to visit family. Planning to take our time with three stops. I was planning to stay in a motel in southern WI on our first stop to avoid any freezing water issues and dewinterize on our second stop in southern IL. However, I was reading in my owners manual today that a rig with a tank heater may also be equipped with water line heaters that could protect the water system down to -11 F ! It says the tank heaters and line heaters operate on a single switch on the control panel (which I have). The verbiage is pretty vague in the manual and seems to imply that there are a variety of combinations for these heater set ups. I’m not real interested in extended winter camping but I would like to know some guidelines when transitioning out of the upper Midwest to the south and back I n the wintertime. The weather does strange things sometimes. The manual is clear that external electric hook up or generator power is needed to operate the tank heater (not the line heaters).
Anybody have any experience with the tank heater?
Lynchbarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 07:19 PM   #2

No experience with the heaters, but if it was me, I would leave it winterized until the southern IL stop. Should be safe from freezing by then. I would rewinterize at the same area on the way back. When I winterize, I blow all the lines then flush all with antifreeze. Would need to take a small 12 v compressor with the hose adapter and 2 or 3 gallons of antifreeze and the antifreeze pump with you.
2012 Jayco 32 BHDS: Long Gone
2007 R-Vision 25: Long Long Gone
1965 Frolic Cabover: My First RV
Bugzilla46310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 07:45 PM   #3

Thank you. -11 seems way too good to be true and I’m not sure what happens in transit with no shore power or generator.
Old 02-07-2022, 08:10 PM   #4

I have tank heaters - and coincidentally, I lived in S Wisconsin for awhile.

Long story short - stay winterized.

The tank heaters didn't stop me from freezing up. It'll depend on ambient temps and how long you're below freezing. Bottom line - just spend the $6 on RV antifreeze, winterize and sleep easy knowing you're protected.
Old 02-07-2022, 08:12 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynchbarry View Post
Thank you. -11 seems way too good to be true and I’m not sure what happens in transit with no shore power or generator.

They run off 12V, and if your rig if working, then the engine alternator will be feeding the batteries.

We froze up at +14*F. It's not the tanks but all of the exposed lines, the water heater, etc that was the problem.
Old 02-07-2022, 09:30 PM   #6

What model and year do you have?

Generally speaking, the pipes in class C's run under the floor exposed to the elements.

I would stay winterized until you know for sure. A coworker travels from MN to FL every winter. He catches a few jugs of water for drinking, cooking, cleaning. They flush with cheap windshield washer fluid. They dewinterizeing once they are comfortable with the temps, sometimes it does not happen until they get to FL. They also carry a couple jugs of RV antifreeze to winterize somewhere on the trip back.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 07:42 AM   #7

Thank you. It’s a 2018 Greyhawk 29MV.
Old 02-08-2022, 09:41 AM   #8

Quote:
Thank you. It’s a 2018 Greyhawk 29MV.
What I have heard about the 2018 models, the pipes are not insulated or heated. When a pipe runs inside a bay, often there is heat, but most of the pipes then run under the floor fully exposed to the elements and there is no heat on them.

There are a few posts of people wrapping the exposed pipes with heat tape and pipe insulation.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 10:17 AM   #9

Thank you. From what I’ve seen underneath. There’s no sign of insulation or heating coil on the exposed pipes . I’ll just stay tuned to the weather channel and winterize accordingly .
Old 02-08-2022, 12:15 PM   #10

Quote:
Thank you. From what I’ve seen underneath. There’s no sign of insulation or heating coil on the exposed pipes . I’ll just stay tuned to the weather channel and winterize accordingly .

I think this is the smartest and safest bet.

Correct - no insulation, no pipe wrap under these things. Jayco expects you to stay above freezing. You've also got the heater to worry about.

Since we winter camp, or try to, I've crawled under mine and added heat-tape and pipe wrap. Bottom line - a royal PITA and I haven't tested it yet
Old 02-08-2022, 04:54 PM   #11

The tank heaters are actually a type of rubber pad that is stuck to the underside of the tank(s). There is 12 volts running to them when the switch is on. My experience was the tank pads came loose and I had to use gorilla tape to put them back so you might want to check yours. Like everyone else said the pipes underneath would freeze so it's best to take the advice others have given here.
Joey55 is offline   Reply With Quote