Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-19-2021, 12:25 PM   #1

Tank Heaters

Hey folks, could use some advice. I have dewinterized my 2020 MP and after dewinterizing I'm looking at 3-4 days of overnight temps in the high 20's. I have my MP hooked up to power and plan to flip on factory installed tank heaters, but worry about my utility center and the water filter in there. If I use the furance and tank heaters, am I right that the utility center is still fully exposed and could cause damage? Any advice on how to make sure I don't wake up this week to a bunch of repairs?

Thanks!
zarfu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 12:47 PM   #2

I'm not sure where your utility center is, but ours is such that the back end (and the pump and plumbing) are all exposed from the rear storage compartment.

Whenever it gets a smidge colder than I'm comfortable with, I toss a 500 watt electric heater in the compartment. On low, it'll keep that whole area at 70*F.

Another approach could be a 60watt incandescent light bulb.
Old 05-19-2021, 01:09 PM   #3

It is in the back driver side compartment though it's pretty tight in there. I'll look around for heaters that might fit but lmk if you have any suggestions...
zarfu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 03:11 PM   #4

Things do not freeze instantly the air gets below 32 degrees. There is a lot of thermal mass in your MH.

I have a TT with an exposed underbelly. We camp all the time with over night lows in the low to mid 20's with day time highs hopefully reaching the mid 40's. We have not had any issues.

Most utility centers have heat to them. Sometimes you can see the heat duct, sometimes the heat is dumped in right behind the cheap plastic.

Are you at home or will you be camping? If at home, blow the lines out with compressed air and you will be in great shape. If you cannot, open all your low point drains. Don't forget the water heater and outside shower. I do this all the time. A little residual water in the systems wont be an issue. FYI, I would open the water filter and drain it.

Tank heaters only affect the large tanks, and the very little volume of fluids cannot break the tanks. If there is a lot of volume in it, your fine too, as it takes hours if not days to cool off the tank enough for it to freeze.

If camping; having the storage hold closed as much as possible and you should be good. A few hours you dip down below freezing wont hurt anything as there is enough residual heat and radiate heat off the MH and you will be fine. If you have even a small incandescent night light it will put off a lot of heat in that small compartment. If you have full hook ups, I would disconnect and drain your water hose and put it in a cargo hold for the night, as it will freeze solid, just sitting outside on the ground.

The place I would be most concerned about the fittings attached to all the small diameter piping as it has very little thermal mass and will cool off much quicker than say your water filter. On a MH there are a number of exposed water pipes under the floor. Back to just blowing out the lines and you'll be fine. Even just opening the low point drain will be fine for the few hours each night.

Good Luck, after a few years you will be a master!

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote